Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
Mi fi only for us. Good luck with your more mobile setup!
Aristolochia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I'm curious, how do you have your MiFi hooked up to the antenna? I believe the MiFi's dont have an external antenna jack.
Biggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #23

Nashville , Tennessee
I'm a telecommuter. I can work anywhere as long as I have a direct connection. I'm thinking of working from a trailer but I'm not familiar with air cards/routers etc. I have to be directly connected to a Wide Area Connection (WAN) port in order for my VOIP phone to work properly. Any ideas? info?
Highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post
I'm a telecommuter. I can work anywhere as long as I have a direct connection. I'm thinking of working from a trailer but I'm not familiar with air cards/routers etc. I have to be directly connected to a Wide Area Connection (WAN) port in order for my VOIP phone to work properly. Any ideas? info?
I use both Skype (without a physical phone) and a Magic Jack (with a cordless with the wireless modem setup as I too have to telecommute (also have a cell) and I haven't had any problems with any of the setups, other than depending upon where I am parked I can experience some interference with the Magic Jack.

tbro

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #25

2009 22' Sport
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post
What VOIP phone are you using, does it require a wired internet connection?

Check out the Cradlepoint routers. I use a CTR500 in my trailer. It takes either a USB or cardbus cellular modem. It creates a wifi hotspot for unlimited number of users, plus has one ethernet port for a wired connection to the internet. Its far more flexible than a MIFI. Its small and takes very little power. I run it off the house battery.

I used a wired VOIP phone from 8x8 for a while and it worked great through a Verizon USB modem through the Cradlepoint. I recently switched to using Skype directly through my iPhone. Much more convenient and portable.

Another piece of equipment you should consider is a Ruckus Metoflex 2211ext. Its a WiFi repeater (also low power and runs off 12v). It makes connecting to Rav park wifi networks more reliable, and provides a firewall between your network and the parks. As an added bonus, you can connect to Ruckus to the Cradlepoint router and the Cradlepoint will auto switch between the park and cellular networks. You just connect your computer(s) to the Cradlepoint wifi, and the Cradlepoint will automatically choose the best available internet connection for you.

I work out of my trailer as well. This setup has given me a reliable internet connection.

Doug
cbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
cbstreamer: They seem to have changed the name of the product slightly, it's "MediaFlex" now, but with the same 2211-EXT model number. Do you have a permanently-mounted external antenna for it? Or do you set that up when you're hooking up the trailer at a campground?
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Here's a fun article about how they keep Willie Nelson's tour bus on the net...

Willie Nelson’s Got a New Broadband Plan | Epicenter*| Wired.com

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #28

Nashville , Tennessee
My phone is a Cisco/router. Everything except the phone works with WiFi. Thanks for the information Doug.
Highland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hotspot, internet, router, wireless