Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Update: WeBoost Drive 4G-X

Consider this an update/review/cautionary tale about our current internet setup and cell signal boosting.

Our internet connection strength has been weak since we got to Moab a week ago. A month ago when we were here, we didn't have this problem. Some of it has been network congestion. But part of it has been what I believe is the heat death of our older Wilson 4G cradle booster.

Two weeks ago while we were in Durango, the Wilson cradle finally caused the battery in our MiFi to explode. Requiring us to purchase a new MiFi.

Fast forward to this week and the slow speeds. That's when I observed that we were getting better speeds and a stronger signal in the truck than in the Airstream. We have a WeBoost 4G-M in our truck with a Surecall 12 inch magnetic antenna.

This lead me to believe that Wilson Cradle was on the way out. So we ordered a WeBoost 4G-X to place in the Airstream. When installed, we saw an instant improvement. From .8mbps down to 3mbps down. Huge improvement.

People have commented in the past that the cradle booster puts off a lot of heat. It does, and we were using a method mentioned by Technomadia about trying to get airflow in there, but it still managed to kill one MiFi battery. And I suspect being always on was damaging it as well. Heat is the enemy of electronics after all.

A few details; the Drive 4G-X is 50db gain over the 20db gain of the older Wilson cradle booster and boosts multiple devices. Bonus, it's on sale right now on Amazon.

If you are curious, this is my antenna setup. I use the 9inch Surecall Omni antenna about 85% of the time. And the other 15% of the time (like this week) I aim the directional YAGI antenna for greater signal strength. Both mounted on my antenna mast.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I have a similar setup, but am using 3/4" tubing attached to my tongue jack. Did you do away with the Winegard antenna, or is this a separate mast?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Ky, how high up did you run your tubing?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
We don't watch TV, so I did away with the Winegard.

I have a friend who still has his Winegard.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
It's roughly 15ft up (divided in 3 sections) from the tongue--using a 10ft and 5ft section of conduit (cut to 20" mounted behind tongue jack, and 40" to mount to antenna, with 10ft section in the middle). Compression fittings make fastening the sections of conduit together by hand with no tools simple. I imagine it doesn't need to be this high, especially since the aluminum shell of the Airstream creates a good barrier between the inside and outside antennas. I just did this initially as a trial run to see how it worked, but find it easy to put up and take down so I'm debating whether to install a permanent roof top antenna. I'm also using the DT4G, which is last years model before the switch from Wilson to Weboost. This model is made for small living spaces, which I believe has up to a 60db gain.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Bold,

How did you route your antenna cable to the Drive 4G-X inside? Did you use the refrigerator vent?

Thanks.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I have the 4G-X. Depending on location the Wilson Trucker or Yagi is mounted on top of the flag pole in a Sandpiper flagpole holder on the jack. Run of very low loss cable to the refrigerator vent door on the side of the trailer. Then attach to the interior cable that sits there when not in use. Also have an external RJ45 for my WiFiRanger antenna and a RG-6 for ham radio. The refrigerator door has a notch in the bottom rail for drainage. Set the cables there and gently close the door. Wilson and WFR sit in the roadside cabinet with the DVD/SAT RX.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Mine are run through the fridge vent with LMR400 cable.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Duvall , Washington
Mi-Fi for 2015 AS

Very clever with the WeBoost !
We have a 2015 30' International Serenity. Tried an exterior Alpha booster. So-So, so it was sent back.
We're getting 78/100 at the clubhouse here, but would limit in our caravan.
We also have all Apple products and it seemed to the mail up. Resolutions ?
Help? Thanks !
Scottiesafar is offline   Reply With Quote