Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Two questions about internet (cell and Starlink)

My plan for 2023 has me on the road 4+ months and I want to improve my internet. I would also like to ditch my current (home) cable internet for either cell or Starlink (or combination thereof) that can be moved back and forth between home and AS.

Question 1). Verizon is offering home internet for $50/month including equipment. Does anyone know if the equipment can be transferred between house and AS? (PS I am not asking about your phone tether unless it interplays with the internet being advertised).
Question 2). Has anyone worked out how to easily convert the Starlink to 12 volt to reduce the energy drain from running off inverter (I am a big boondocker but even with the 400AH battery bank there are limits to how much power draw I want).

Thanks

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Winchester , Virginia
I live in the boonies and finally was able to get the new Verizon 4G LTE the past 2 months and the contract says that it you move it from the primary address they will cancel it.
I also have two Verizon wifi jetpacks. They say unlimited but actually you get only 30GB of fast and than it's useless . You can purchase more data-150GB for $68. I take the jetpacks with me when we travel and have had good success. I only use them to communicate back home-no streaming or extras and get by on a total of 60 GB (30 each)
I hope this helps.
Margi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
South Lyon , Michigan
1. No, against terms of service
2. There is a Facebook(Yuck, I know)Group called Starlink Hacks. There are many detailed posts of people making their own 12 volt hardware conversion and swapping the proprietary connector and router.

I went the easy route and bought a small 200w pure sine wave inverter. Starlink never used more than 60watts (unless you turn the snow melt feature on) from what I’ve observed using to for 6 weeks this summer.
Rdavenp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Have not compared Starlink costs to ATT, my service provider, but I do get unlimited data with my plan. I invested in WeBoost RV ($500~)and installed last month, keeping my same ATT service; works with Verizon also, I am told. Most of the time, I can get reasonable reception (1-2bars) with my cell phone where we have traveled, so I can use the "hotspot" feature and do use it for SLING tv and wifi with my laptop. There are times, where my signal goes down to 1/2 bar...which is why I wanted to get stronger signal...it has shown to boost my signal to 4-5 bars, so I am happy with my investment so far. Not sure about Starlink...I helped Motorola develop this technology early on in my career. Not clear on the costs $$ today, but I have talked with several folks this past summer using it around the NorthWest states and they are very happy. I have watched at night and seen them laying the satellites out which is amazing to see...I am also aware that Russia/China consider these as possible "threats" for spying, and "could" decide to take them out...not a fear monger here...but real consideration is cost for me right now.. Not sure how much value beyond cell/wifi service Starlink brings at this price? Appreciate input...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Question 1). Verizon is offering home internet for $50/month including equipment. Does anyone know if the equipment can be transferred between house and AS? (PS I am not asking about your phone tether unless it interplays with the internet being advertised).
As I understand the Verizon internet is a box that uses 5G cellular signals to stream your internet. So it's going to be unreliable unless you have 5G everywhere you go. I'd give it a "NO" for RV use, rules not withstanding.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Richmond , Virginia
Verizon and StarLink

We have been Full-Time for 2 years and one has AT&T and one Verizon….we also have StarLink. We find this to be the best solution. If we are not using StarLink one of us usually has cell service. We just turn on personal hotspot on our phone to share, stream movies, etc. StarLink is the best as long as you are not in the trees.

To power StarLink when boondocking we use ECOFLOW River Pro and have solar charger for it. You can plug the 110v into it. We have found it to be excellent. Even if no sun it will last for a couple days, if managed. We can also charge it in the car if we are out for the day and it is cloudy.
cldamonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have Starlink RV, it has worked for us everywhere. Even when you can’t get a perfectly clear view…it works, just slower. We use it camping and at a remote cabin in Northern California that has no cell service and where you can get DSL (raging speed of up to .08) sometimes. We’ve streamed shows, done e-mail and video chatting.

For us it had been a game changer. You don’t need to leave it on 24-7 unless you have a need to be on all the time. We’ve unplugged and stowed when we go sight seeing, hiking or just know we won’t be back for a bit. We use a portable “amp” stand, so it isn’t mounted permanently. It only takes a second or to to set up again and get it running, it is really that easy!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Having used both and satellite for home internet, Starlink is superior provided you get a clear view of the sky. If you get the RV package you can use it wherever you want for one price, no bandwidth caps (which every other service I've tried at minimum throttles after certain usage, even all of the "unlimited" ones). My biggest limitation with it is the tree coverage I have at my house, which means I can't stick the dish on the ground or low roof, I have to stick it up on my chimney - which then means it's not so portable....
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Tho is a good overview of the 12V conversion. Watch the video he walks you though it.

https://www.outsidenomad.com/how-to-...on-12-volt-dc/
Old 09-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldamonhall View Post
We have been Full-Time for 2 years and one has AT&T and one Verizon….we also have StarLink. We find this to be the best solution. If we are not using StarLink one of us usually has cell service. We just turn on personal hotspot on our phone to share, stream movies, etc. StarLink is the best as long as you are not in the trees.

To power StarLink when boondocking we use ECOFLOW River Pro and have solar charger for it. You can plug the 110v into it. We have found it to be excellent. Even if no sun it will last for a couple days, if managed. We can also charge it in the car if we are out for the day and it is cloudy.
Excellent point! I too have the River Pro along...I was pondering how to power the cell booster with my WeBoost when boondocking, without turning on the inverter! Dahhhh...RiverPro! Thanks...sometimes we get so many new gadgets we (I) forget we have them!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Missed my earlier question:

"consideration is cost for me right now.. Not sure how much value beyond cell/wifi service Starlink brings at this price? Appreciate input."

So, what is the investment $$ to start out for hardware and what does the monthly cost run?

So far, I have $550 for the WeBoost invested and my cell bill runs $130/month for our 2 phones, with unlimited data. Downside is I need to be able to detect the closest tower, using my signal locator app. Not an issue for us in most locations, except there was none in Black Canyon campgrounds outside Santa Fe last week, so we moved on.

Downside for the Starlink may be tree coverage only?

Appreciate comments.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Missed my earlier question:

"consideration is cost for me right now.. Not sure how much value beyond cell/wifi service Starlink brings at this price? Appreciate input."

So, what is the investment $$ to start out for hardware and what does the monthly cost run?

So far, I have $550 for the WeBoost invested and my cell bill runs $130/month for our 2 phones, with unlimited data. Downside is I need to be able to detect the closest tower, using my signal locator app. Not an issue for us in most locations, except there was none in Black Canyon campgrounds outside Santa Fe last week, so we moved on.

Downside for the Starlink may be tree coverage only?

Appreciate comments.
$500 for equipment and $125 a month, includes dish, router and something like 100' of cable.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #13
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
An alternative is Unlimitedville. Has served me well across the US.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Unlimitedville only works if you have a good strong singnal or are close to a tower. So might be good for camp spots close to civilization, Starlink can work in the Sahara dessert. I think that’s the difference. We boondock a ton and to be able to get service in the middle of nowhere really opens up options to work in the wilderness etc. it does come at a cost as described. My cost $599 for equipment, $135 a month for service. The good thing is you can suspend your service at anytime until you need it again. So for example, we don’t camp much in winter. I can suspend the $135 monthly fee until spring. Not cheap, but great option and I have been able to do zoom calls and such with no issue. So we’ll worth it for me to be out in the wild a few more days at a time while I work a full time job.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Just isn't right

Why is it that people have to become engineers? . Why can’t a service provider and trailer manufacturer make it simple plug play or have the appropriate adapters. I’m just tired of buying stuff that should but has to be re-worked to work-

It’s nice to post how we tore apart and rebuilt the trailer and its accessories but we should not need any posts. It should just freaking work. Rant over-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Tho is a good overview of the 12V conversion. Watch the video he walks you though it.

https://www.outsidenomad.com/how-to-...on-12-volt-dc/
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Unlimitedville only works if you have a good strong singnal or are close to a tower. So might be good for camp spots close to civilization, Starlink can work in the Sahara dessert. I think that’s the difference. We boondock a ton and to be able to get service in the middle of nowhere really opens up options to work in the wilderness etc. it does come at a cost as described. My cost $599 for equipment, $135 a month for service. The good thing is you can suspend your service at anytime until you need it again. So for example, we don’t camp much in winter. I can suspend the $135 monthly fee until spring. Not cheap, but great option and I have been able to do zoom calls and such with no issue. So we’ll worth it for me to be out in the wild a few more days at a time while I work a full time job.
Interesting; my WeBoost direct antenna, seems to provide great alternative without the monthly $130cost...but I see the Sahara dessert may present problems...but so will tree tops without a clear view North for Starlink, right? As for the newone mentioned, Unlimitedville, seems that one would have limited range with the indoor antenna vs the Weboost, plus again, another service charge? Don't understand Unlimitedville value if you have Weboost and already have an unlimited plan with ATT or Verizon? What am I missing?
Old 09-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I installed only a 300w inverter with my solar system. Rarely use anything more than small draw appliances when boondocking. Now I’m trying to understand the best approach for installing Starlink. From the discussion above it appears that Starlink draws somewhere around 60w. Using my 300w inverter “costs” me an additional 6w while on the Starlink due to using the inverter over just using 12v. Let’s say it’s on for 4hrs that’s 24w or 2Amh extra from my battery bank over the draw if I convert to a 12v system for Starlink.
Am I thinking this through correctly? What do folks think. Is the conversion worth the savings?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Interesting; my WeBoost direct antenna, seems to provide great alternative without the monthly $130cost...but I see the Sahara dessert may present problems...but so will tree tops without a clear view North for Starlink, right? As for the newone mentioned, Unlimitedville, seems that one would have limited range with the indoor antenna vs the Weboost, plus again, another service charge? Don't understand Unlimitedville value if you have Weboost and already have an unlimited plan with ATT or Verizon? What am I missing?
ATT and Verizon 'unlimited' plans aren't actually unlimited in that they throttle your bandwidth at a certain usage. I believe that's the difference with Unlimitedville. It also requires the same WeBoost antenna tech for low signal areas, so doesn't avoid that, just gets rid of the throttling. Starlink doesn't throttle based on usage and doesn't have low signal, as long as you have an unobstructed view. That can definitely be a limitation, so really depends on which is a bigger issues for you.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
We have had T-Mobile Home Internet since before it was publicly offered. Our’s is the old 4G LTE device. I usually get between 75mbs and 120mbs.

It’s my understanding, while you have a home location as part of the terms of service, T-Mobile hasn’t as yet been enforcing it.

Basically, when you check online to see if T-Mobile Home Internet is available in your home location, T-Mobile is checking to see if they have excess capacity in the area of your home address. T-Mobile’s Home Internet service can be really fast, but it is deprioritized over certain commercial traffic — therefore they try not to offer it where that is likely to happen.

If you move the device to a different location where there isn’t excess capacity, you might not have acceptable service, even if they continue to ignore your relocation.
SallyForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
ATT and Verizon 'unlimited' plans aren't actually unlimited in that they throttle your bandwidth at a certain usage. I believe that's the difference with Unlimitedville. It also requires the same WeBoost antenna tech for low signal areas, so doesn't avoid that, just gets rid of the throttling. Starlink doesn't throttle based on usage and doesn't have low signal, as long as you have an unobstructed view. That can definitely be a limitation, so really depends on which is a bigger issues for you.
Yea, I have heard that, but I haven't hit that "limit" yet, I guess. Plan runs $130/month for the 2 phones. (wife and me) When I ask ATT about a limit, I am told my plan has no data limit. I do get a warning of approaching 4GB early in the month after payment typically a week later, but don't see any degradation at all throughout the month...I am not using for work so not a big deal, but would be an issue if I could not stream or use the internet for replying to you folks here on the Forum!. I use for TV/internet with phones being the hotspot only when traveling. I could see perhaps the Starlink or unlimitedville perhaps if I run into an issue.

Good to see all these options...think about 4 years ago! what you see is what you get, right?