Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Tailgater Satellite Dish-DISH TV

Hopefully someone on here has this set up. With Dish TV you can pay as you go in 30 day increments, no fee to connect/disconnect, just pay for the time you use. Thats kind of like having your cake & eating it to!

Two questions:
My coach has the dedicated Satellite input next to the Cable input on the exterior so setting up the Tailgater satellite is a no brainer. However setting up the receiver is a little more complicated in that a HDMI cable connects the TV box & receiver box, also the satellite & receiver are linked via cable from the back of the receiver to the satellite input in the wall. Do I have that right? Also exactly where is the satellite/cable inputs located, behind the TV or radio & what do I have to remove to find them?
Second, has anyone had any problem with DISH TV that maybe I should be aware of. I'm quite familiar with DIRECT TV but not the other.

THANKS,
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You need to unscrew the box that holds the blue ray player. Underneath that is where you will find the coax cable from the satellite. Airstream provides a switcher for one input to two TV's. However you are going to need a double input/one output HDMI switcher to connect the receiver and the blueray player back to the TV switcher that is already there. Connect the coax to the back of your receiver. Be careful to not pinch or bend the HDMI cables.

Also, if you get a triple input switcher, you can hook up a computer or other HDMI device.

And, if you have Dish TV for the house, you can use a receiver for both trailer and house without paying additional fees.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thanks mojo, now I'm wondering if Airstream already provided an easy access HDMI connection for the 2016 models. Above my Samsung Blue Ray box on the white shelf is what looks like a HDMI input connection. It's attached to a short cord with a cap on it & seems to serve no purpose, once the cap is removed it looks like a HDMI connector. Does your 2015 International have that?
TAC FL-47
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mine has a USB Ipod connection cable with cap direct from the stereo but they did not provide any other connection for satellite other than the coax cable. Maybe someone with a 2016 will chime in because they left it all open ended up to 2015!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I can attest that the tailgater has worked flawlessly for me. I have dish at home and only pay 7 bucks per month add-on for dish on the road. You can't beat it for the price.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Mine's a 2000 so of course I had to deal with 15 year old tech, but, funnily enough, to this day it's still a coax cable froth satellite. I didn't have the luxury of pre installed HDMI inputs, but, they make analog to digital converters, easily found on Amazon, but I've never come across one that doesn't require power (That's where things can get pretty interesting I imagine for boondockers). The funny thing is that if my satellite input was actually near where I have to place the first receiver I wouldn't have to bother with the converters at all...well, no, I still need one to convert the signal going from the second box (which is in my living room in the overhead cabinet with the sat-input) to the rear TV, which of course in '00 was done with, you guessed it, coax! One day I'll figure out how to replace all that coax with HDMI, since, as good as the converters are, I'm not really getting true 1080P with the signal degradation...then again, I'm only dealing with 28" TVs....when I figure out how to install the drop down 50"....then I'll figure it out for sure.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Mine has a USB Ipod connection cable with cap direct from the stereo but they did not provide any other connection for satellite other than the coax cable. Maybe someone with a 2016 will chime in because they left it all open ended up to 2015!
You were correct in your previous post, I need to remove the 2x1 switcher & replace it with a 2x2 switcher. Two outputs, one for each TV & two inputs, one for the Blue Ray & the other for the satellite receiver. That cord that I thought might have been a HDMI connection turned out to be a USB port for the radio, so I'm told be Airstream customer service.
TAC FL-47
Old 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tigard , Oregon
Tried to get AS to get this right but eventually had a McGyver friend who set me up with a system that eliminates wiring. Buy yourself an: Actiontec Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit. Plug the transmitter into an AC outlet, then its HDMI cord into your switch HDMI out, or directly from the DISH box. Plug the receiver end of the Actiontec into your TV and problem solved. Will transmit up to 150 ft. We set up an outside TV at tailgates, etc., no cable, HDMI lines, etc.. Also eliminates a problem with the High Def signal getting "backed up" if you try to go through coax from the DISH box. Non HD worked fine, but High Def channels kept popping up a warning box that system could not handle band width. Will cost you about $150 on Amazon, but easy, and simple.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Dish works pretty well, have used for 4 years on 3 different rv's. They do charge $5 per month when you're not activated, but if you complain enough they will credit you back. You can usually get some free stuff, Cinemax and Starz, for a few months, just for the asking. I usuall do this when I am calling in at my first stop, or when I am going to be someplace for a long time. Calling in to get local channels can be a hassle, but worth it if you have favorite network show you want to watch.
senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldforester View Post
Tried to get AS to get this right but eventually had a McGyver friend who set me up with a system that eliminates wiring. Buy yourself an: Actiontec Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit. Plug the transmitter into an AC outlet, then its HDMI cord into your switch HDMI out, or directly from the DISH box. Plug the receiver end of the Actiontec into your TV and problem solved. Will transmit up to 150 ft. We set up an outside TV at tailgates, etc., no cable, HDMI lines, etc.. Also eliminates a problem with the High Def signal getting "backed up" if you try to go through coax from the DISH box. Non HD worked fine, but High Def channels kept popping up a warning box that system could not handle band width. Will cost you about $150 on Amazon, but easy, and simple.
With that set aren't you dependent on wifi?
TAC FL-47
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Tigard , Oregon
No Wifi Needed

Does not require wifi. Plug & watch. Great quality. Some issues with getting aspect ratio set up, that is only issue & minor. The transmitter (about size of 2 decks of cards) creates/transmits its own HD signal to the receiver which you plug into your tv HDMI input. Both ends need AC outlet, but no cable. Very surprised at quality. No set up, plug in and play.
Oldforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Tigard , Oregon
PS re DISH

Have had difficulty getting signal in fog or thick clouds/rain. Speculate it is due to the small diameter of the Tailgater dish that doesn't have the size to capture enough signal.
Also, you can get (not your but the area you are in) local channels by calling DISH telling them you are in an RV, and need local channels updated to your current zip code. Takes about 15 minutes to effect change.
Oldforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thanks for all the info on this thread. I ordered the Tailgater Dish including the DishTV receiver, 50 ft of cable (bundled) from PPL Motorhome parts dept ( Texas) on Black Friday, $9.99 shipping, no sales tax for $315.00 out the door, that was the best deal I found, in fact no one else was even close. I also purchased a 2x2 switcher box to replace the 1x2 box supplied by Airstream. Now it's almost time for the install, wish me luck!
TAC FL-47
Old 12-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Glad to hear about PPL's price. I ordered most of the stuff I needed for my 68 from them back with I redid it. They always had the best price I could find anywhere on parts and appliances (water heater, Fridge,water pump, etc) and 2 day shipping to Mississippi.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Glad to hear about PPL's price. I ordered most of the stuff I needed for my 68 from them back with I redid it. They always had the best price I could find anywhere on parts and appliances (water heater, Fridge,water pump, etc) and 2 day shipping to Mississippi.
I agree, my Equalizer WD hitch came from them along with a bunch of other less expensive stuff, consistently the best price.
TAC FL-47
Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Tailgater Satellite Dish-DISH TV

Read through this thread with interest. Lots of useful info.

We are considering going to satellite for our '16 FC.

Couple questions?

We'd like a HD (1080) picture with a self-aligning R2D2 unit. Something like 50+ channels, but including HGTV.

I don't want a separate power cable to the R2D2, just the coax.

I've priced a few systems, including a Dish system around $450, that includes a King antenna and a 'wally' receiver.

After fitting the receiver, my plan on campsite arrival is to place the R2D2 outside, connecting the coax to the SAT input. Then hit the 'align' button on the receiver. (I like things simple)

Anyone have either of these units (King dish or Wally receiver) care to comment on their performance?

Any other thoughts on the above are appreciated!

Thanks...Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote