Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Starlink in 2024 AS? How Does It Connect Outside?

Hi,

I'm curious about how the new AS which are Starlink ready, are "ready"? Do they have a Starlink coupler so one doesn't have to cut to make ethernet or whatever for a coupler?

I have mine weaved through an enlarged hole in my original cable/satellite panel (I removed satellite and enlarged the hole) but would love a Starlink style coupler or extention of some sort. I'm really bad at electronic stuff and rely on Starlink for work so hesitant to start chopping the cable and installing ethernet plug as most are doing.
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
I looked at the Tradewind literature and I see an Ethernet Smart Plug, but it doesn't say anything about it being configured for Starlink. I think they are offering Starlink on the Class B's.

As you're probably aware Starlink is not standard Ethernet and also requires POE. With our 2023 GT, I was going to install the Smartplug ethernet replacing the stock cable plug (there is a thread on this, somewhere, which you might have looked at). This requires cutting a section of the Starlink cable then swizzing the wires to connect it to the plug and fishing the cable to the router and also crimping on a connector at the chopped end. I see how it would be nice, however, it seemed like more trouble than it was worth (the fishing part particularly) so I ended up threading the cable through the floor and the cable is stored in the battery box.

I also eliminated the Starlink router and replaced it with a cellular modem. This is nice since everything is now DC powered (no need to fire up the inverter, and more efficient), I can use Starlink as a primary source with a failover to cellular. I mention this since there is a POE adapter available specifically for Starlink which is very slick and I didn't have to swizzle and crimp any connectors. None of this may apply depending on what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not the handiest person, but I managed to get everything working. It's a matter of having good tools, patience, and plan it all out in advance.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I looked at the Tradewind literature and I see an Ethernet Smart Plug, but it doesn't say anything about it being configured for Starlink. I think they are offering Starlink on the Class B's.

As you're probably aware Starlink is not standard Ethernet and also requires POE. With our 2023 GT, I was going to install the Smartplug ethernet replacing the stock cable plug (there is a thread on this, somewhere, which you might have looked at). This requires cutting a section of the Starlink cable then swizzing the wires to connect it to the plug and fishing the cable to the router and also crimping on a connector at the chopped end. I see how it would be nice, however, it seemed like more trouble than it was worth (the fishing part particularly) so I ended up threading the cable through the floor and the cable is stored in the battery box.

I also eliminated the Starlink router and replaced it with a cellular modem. This is nice since everything is now DC powered (no need to fire up the inverter, and more efficient), I can use Starlink as a primary source with a failover to cellular. I mention this since there is a POE adapter available specifically for Starlink which is very slick and I didn't have to swizzle and crimp any connectors. None of this may apply depending on what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not the handiest person, but I managed to get everything working. It's a matter of having good tools, patience, and plan it all out in advance.
I couldn't find anything at AS either. I thought I saw them advertising Starlink ready which couldn't be an ethernet splicing kit included! Or could it?

Amazing some Chinese firm hasn't started dropping a coupler on Amazon! How hard would it be?

MIne works great just threaded though. I'll see how long breakdown and set up takes when I next move.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2023, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Here is a very nice video about changing a Star Link system to 12v: .

The video discusses the Gen 2 Star Link antenna and router. Star Link has announced the Gen 3 version which is not yet available for normal customers. The new version is a bit different. The antenna is slightly bigger, it no longer has the motorized post, and can require a bit more wattage than the Gen antenna.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Here is a very nice video about changing a Star Link system to 12v: .

The video discusses the Gen 2 Star Link antenna and router. Star Link has announced the Gen 3 version which is not yet available for normal customers. The new version is a bit different. The antenna is slightly bigger, it no longer has the motorized post, and can require a bit more wattage than the Gen antenna.

Tim
I haven't watched it yet as my first questions is...Why not just use the inverter circuit?
Old 12-09-2023, 11:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I haven't watched it yet as my first questions is...Why not just use the inverter circuit?
I have nothing against doing so. If we decide to invest in Star Link, I haven't decided if we will go the 12v route, but I might just be influenced by the fact that our Airstream has no inverter and, hence, no inverter circuit!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I just did our 12v Starlink conversion using the Yoasheng adapters. Very easy, the hardest part was getting the 12v to 48v converter (I now have two versions). Works very well.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7032.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	439646  
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Bambi
Oly , Washington
I'm still powered via 120V AC, but I am in process of moving to a 12V DC supply. This was engineered for Starlink: https://boondocker.io/products/dishy-rv-power-supply I am waiting on this to arrive.
I already have the YAOSHENG cable adapter, however in my final target arrangment, this will be eliminated. See my thread: Air Stream Connected, Wi-Fi; I hope to have my Starlink flat mounted on top of my Bambi with Everlanders kit by early summer time this year.
saltbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
My new Flying Cloud is touted as “Starlink Ready” and I briefly looked and it appears they have a standard external Ethernet connector on the outside and it’s terminated in the cabinet with power and other AV connections. I assume I’d need to cut my standard cable, terminate it with an Ethernet connection and plug in that way. I think many others on this forum have written about it.

On my globetrotter, I just pushed the cable thru the floor where the battery cables came in under the couch and put the Starlink router down there. I’ll have to figure out what I’m going to do once I take delivery later this week.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
After looking around, I've found lots of info on converting the starlink cable to ethernet. My new Flying Cloud has a SmartPlug that brings ethernet into the AV cabinet. It's pretty easy to cut the standard Starlink V2 cable and crimp the needed connectors on. There's a bunch of video's on YouTube describing the process. This may not be the best one, but it's as good as any I suppose. You will most likely need to invest in a crimping tool if you don't already have one or have a friend with one.

https://youtu.be/QgWDzPAydJ0?si=sLUIyliLu1gjGUFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I couldn't find anything at AS either. I thought I saw them advertising Starlink ready which couldn't be an ethernet splicing kit included! Or could it?

Amazing some Chinese firm hasn't started dropping a coupler on Amazon! How hard would it be?

MIne works great just threaded though. I'll see how long breakdown and set up takes when I next move.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2024, 11:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
My new Flying Cloud is touted as “Starlink Ready” and I briefly looked and it appears they have a standard external Ethernet connector on the outside and it’s terminated in the cabinet with power and other AV connections. I assume I’d need to cut my standard cable, terminate it with an Ethernet connection and plug in that way. I think many others on this forum have written about it.

On my globetrotter, I just pushed the cable thru the floor where the battery cables came in under the couch and put the Starlink router down there. I’ll have to figure out what I’m going to do once I take delivery later this week.
I have a 2024 Tradewind on order and would love to be able to connect a modified Starlink cable to the outside ethernet adapter. However, I don't think Airstream uses a shielded Cat6A cable with shielded connectors. That would be required for this to work.
richh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post
I have a 2024 Tradewind on order and would love to be able to connect a modified Starlink cable to the outside ethernet adapter. However, I don't think Airstream uses a shielded Cat6A cable with shielded connectors. That would be required for this to work.
I’ll let you know shortly. Waiting for the final touches on my new Flying Cloud and I’ll be driving it home hopefully in an hour or two. I ordered an adapter set on Amazon so I don’t have to cut my Starlink cord. The internal cable may not be Cat6a, but it will be a short run to the outside cable which is Cat6a.

I can still just stuff the Starlink cable thru where the battery and other electrical comes in. Then I host keep a 175’ spool with my propane tanks. That’s how I ran it before on my globetrotter.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I bought this Klutchtech Starlink cable to R45 Ethernet adapter kit, a 150 ft Cat 6a cable, and a 3 ft cat 6a patch cord. Plugged it all together coming in thru the Flying Cloud’s external connector and turned it on. The System came right up and next thing you know I was connected. Could not have been easier.

Note: I just bought the adapter kit last week, and now when I look on Amazon the link says “Currently Unavailable”. No idea what happened there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQYR5JWS...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	440611  
Old 01-29-2024, 07:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
I bought this Klutchtech Starlink cable to R45 Ethernet adapter kit, a 150 ft Cat 6a cable, and a 3 ft cat 6a patch cord. Plugged it all together coming in thru the Flying Cloud’s external connector and turned it on. The System came right up and next thing you know I was connected. Could not have been easier.

Note: I just bought the adapter kit last week, and now when I look on Amazon the link says “Currently Unavailable”. No idea what happened there.

Thanks - that is encouraging. I will just use the standard Starlink Cable with one end modified and try the same thing.
richh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post
Thanks - that is encouraging. I will just use the standard Starlink Cable with one end modified and try the same thing.
I'm sure that will work. Just make sure you leave enough of a service loop for the inside part.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

Thanks, I might someday get around to replacing our CATV plug with a Smart Ethernet and this would eliminate any swizzling. This will be of prime interest to the newer AS "Starlink ready" models as well. I think there's a lot of confusion about what to do (as brought up by the OP).

I was wondering if they routed DC power by the ethernet connection for AS Connected? It might make it easy to convert to a 12V router (but might need bigger wire for a 12V-48V converter than wired for).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote