Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Starlink for RV - Can you test your system before re activating?

I have a Pathway X5 dish for my Dish TV account. It goes month by month just like Starlink. When we get to a campsite and I'm not sure I'll be able to get service due to interruptions, I can set the dish up, let it do its thing to find a signal and then decide if I should bother reactivating the account for that trip.

Can you do the same thing for Starlink for RV? Will the system even turn on if your account is inactive to test for connectivity? I'm guessing their answer is use the app and check for obstructions, but I don't know if that would give you a good answer in partial foliage. I don't think the service has been around long enough for anyone to have faced this issue, I can't find an answer on the FAQ page, and as best as I can determine, there is no support email or any other way to contact starlink to ask the support team. Am I missing a support email somewhere? I know one of the biggest complaints about SL is lack of support, but I did not realize it is non-existent.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Didn't see where anyone had answered this for you.

You can't test the Starlink. About the best you can hope for is to borrow someelses Starlink who has portability turned on and check with that.

Starlink does give a 30 day return option. (which starts 14 days after they ship the Dishy to you - Not when you receive it). There is lots of suspicion that many who are receiving what they feel are "used" Starlinks are probably getting these 30-day return units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I have a Pathway X5 dish for my Dish TV account. It goes month by month just like Starlink. When we get to a campsite and I'm not sure I'll be able to get service due to interruptions, I can set the dish up, let it do its thing to find a signal and then decide if I should bother reactivating the account for that trip.

Can you do the same thing for Starlink for RV? Will the system even turn on if your account is inactive to test for connectivity? I'm guessing their answer is use the app and check for obstructions, but I don't know if that would give you a good answer in partial foliage. I don't think the service has been around long enough for anyone to have faced this issue, I can't find an answer on the FAQ page, and as best as I can determine, there is no support email or any other way to contact starlink to ask the support team. Am I missing a support email somewhere? I know one of the biggest complaints about SL is lack of support, but I did not realize it is non-existent.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
haha, too late for the "test" question. I'll have to depend on my sense of how clear the usable sky is in the future.

I've heard the stories about getting used equipment. Mine was new as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Didn't see where anyone had answered this for you.

You can't test the Starlink. About the best you can hope for is to borrow someelses Starlink who has portability turned on and check with that.

Starlink does give a 30 day return option. (which starts 14 days after they ship the Dishy to you - Not when you receive it). There is lots of suspicion that many who are receiving what they feel are "used" Starlinks are probably getting these 30-day return units.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I just got mine a few weeks ago and just started traveling with it. I tested it at my house which does not have much sky view at all and I've brought it out a few times on the road.

From what I can tell it will track any satellite it can "see" and goes on to the next after they pass by. This means you will get some connectivity pretty much anywhere the question is what's the ratio of up to down. At my house it was up about 50% and was pretty much useless. On the road when the obstructions are perhaps 25 feet tall it's been down a few minutes a day.

If you actually really need Internet I don't think Starlink will get you there in all cases but combined with LTE it might.
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote