Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2024, 07:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Cool Starlink - buy V2 or V3?

After a stress time at Silver Springs, FL when we had no TV, no radio and no T-Mobile cell service decided to get a Starlink Roam. My understanding after some research:

The current V3 version has a receiver with a kickstand and has to be manually aimed - it has better router with included ethernet ports, shorter cable, higher power consumption and what seems like a fragile mounting system.

The slightly older V2 receiver has actuators (motors) so it automatically aligns to the correct orientation which seems ideal for any mounting, old router w/o included ethernet, longer cable, lower power and a more robust mounting system.

Any V2 bought now is likely used so no warranty.

So - which would you recommend for us?
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
I have a Gen2 system for our home and a Gen3 system for our rig. The motorized alignment feature is convenient when the dish is mounted somewhere inaccessible like the roof of our house. For traveling, I don't think the motor is a big deal. Either you place it on the ground, or it's permanently flat mounted on the roof, either way, the motor won't help much.

If you are not permanently mounted, then storage could be a consideration. the Gen2 base takes up a lot of room whereas the Gen3 packs down flat to 1.5". For our situation, this was the biggest single factor in choosing the Gen3 over the Gen2.

The Gen3 does use a bit more power, but it hasn't been a problem or anything I've even noticed (we did a router delete and run Starlink on 12v).

The other big factor in choosing the Gen3 was that it uses standard Ethernet ports instead of the proprietary ports on the Gen2. Makes dealing with cabling much easier.

Hope this info helps.

Jim
JimMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Gen 3 it is

So - I just need an Ethernet extension cable M/F for Gen 3? It's probable easy to make a hood for the outside M to F with a 3D printed TPU part that's put on before the extension end is added. My kit doesn't have the new gen cable and ends but I still have my Cat 5 equipment. Or maybe just buy something.

After more research I'm concerned about the Gen 2 cables. I can print an adapter for a better ground mount since I'm mostly concerned with damage while it's flat on the ground. I'm thinking a short tripod that's for a speaker would be a good base - perhaps only 2 feet tall or so.

I noticed that if you get a the home plan it's a win/win for me. $120/month vs. $150/mo and faster speeds. Need to change your "address" for the new location. Coverage right now is 99.5% of the US.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
I noticed that if you get a the home plan it's a win/win for me. $120/month vs. $150/mo and faster speeds. Need to change your "address" for the new location. Coverage right now is 99.5% of the US.
Interesting, are you planning on not moving around much? If not, how does that work?
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I bought an adapter for my V2 and it works fine. Overpriced of course and I could have made my own. Can you still buy the V2? I think the V3 is a bit bigger and is more tolerant to being off tilt for reception, although many have roof mounted the V2s by disabling/removing the motor controller with no apparent degradation in performance.

We recently went from Orlando to New Mexico and only needed to break out the Starlink ones when we did not have decent cell service. And that included a stay in a national park where I expected zero service. $150 a month is a lot and I find myself using it less and less. Of course, that depends entirely on your camping style/usage. It's great when there are no other alternatives.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
We recently went from Orlando to New Mexico and only needed to break out the Starlink ones when we did not have decent cell service. And that included a stay in a national park where I expected zero service. $150 a month is a lot and I find myself using it less and less. Of course, that depends entirely on your camping style/usage. It's great when there are no other alternatives.
I can work remotely and it's very reliable almost anywhere (except trees). But yes, we were on several trips last year where cell service was adequate. I think there were three months I activated it. I shut it down when we were on the East coast last fall. We're hoping to take more extended trips out West, Canada, and Alaska where there's less cell coverage but then my wife got a new job and it's not looking good (bummer). I'd still install it again, but camping styles can change and probably in the future we'll use it more often.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
We're running the latest version of the dish. I do like the fact that it uses standard Ethernet cables vs. the proprietary ones the earlier versions use. I've found the power use to be about the same as for the earlier dish - except on Starlink bootup. Once it's running, it seems to draw about the same power as the V2 dish. V3 for the win with regards to standard ethernet cables plus the better router.

I don't miss the articulated motors of the V2 systems. We just take it outside of the rig...plop it on the ground...plug it in...and then use the Starlink app on my iPhone to align the dish. The whole setup takes a couple of minutes tops. You only need to realign the dish if someone kicks it (usually the dogs leash). Even so, it's only seconds to realign using the phone app. The only nice thing about the V2 dish is that it has a small tripod set of legs that lifts the dish off of the ground...and this is only important if it rains and you could get a little mud splashed on the dish if it's sitting on the ground. A quick wipe with a damp rag or paper towel cleans it up just fine. It's waterproof, so no worries there.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertdEagle View Post
Even so, it's only seconds to realign using the phone app. The only nice thing about the V2 dish is that it has a small tripod set of legs that lifts the dish off of the ground...and this is only important if it rains and you could get a little mud splashed on the dish if it's sitting on the ground. A quick wipe with a damp rag or paper towel cleans it up just fine. It's waterproof, so no worries there.
I was wondering how it works with a pole when trying to get above any clutter near the ground? There isn't a good way to point the V3 on a pole as far as I can tell. It also gives me some comfort to see the V2 moving even if it can't find any satellites.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Quote:
So - I just need an Ethernet extension cable M/F for Gen 3? It's probable easy to make a hood for the outside M to F with a 3D printed TPU part that's put on before the extension end is added. My kit doesn't have the new gen cable and ends but I still have my Cat 5 equipment. Or maybe just buy something.

After more research I'm concerned about the Gen 2 cables. I can print an adapter for a better ground mount since I'm mostly concerned with damage while it's flat on the ground. I'm thinking a short tripod that's for a speaker would be a good base - perhaps only 2 feet tall or so.

A standard ethernet cable will work, just be aware that the ethernet port on the Starlink has a waterproof design and some ethernet cables with bulkier plugs might not go in without a little trimming. (We use the included cable as the final connection from the outside of the van to the dish.)

Regarding the outside connection: In addition to 3D printing, SmartPlug makes a data port. We choose to replace the cable tv coax connection on the outside with a waterproof RJ45 port since we weren't using the coax.

You might want to look at some of the pole mount options mentioned in several threads. Unless there are absolutely no obstructions, getting the dish as high as you can will help clear obstacles and improve reception. We put ours on the roof by default.

The home plan with the mobile option is a great deal if you plan to use Starlink full time and not turn it off between trips.

Jim
Old 04-08-2024, 10:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I was wondering how it works with a pole when trying to get above any clutter near the ground? There isn't a good way to point the V3 on a pole as far as I can tell. It also gives me some comfort to see the V2 moving even if it can't find any satellites.
Good point about being able to realign the dish if it's up on a pole!

I'm guessing that using a compass or just eyeballing north while setting up the pole should be sufficient, but it could be interesting to explore a rotatable pole solution or even an old TV antenna motor
Old 04-10-2024, 10:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Gen 3 it is

My plan right now is to go with the Gen 3. While Roam is more $$ and slower speed the ability to skip months is very appealing. Maybe I could start with it as home service and see how it goes changing the address at every now location. Not sure how long they will let you do that. I saw comments that once you switch from home to roam you can't switch back.

I have a fairly large newer 3D printer (350mm x 350mm) but not enough to print a one piece clamp mount but I think I can print it in large parts and then fasten them together. One vendor is selling a pole adapter but it's produced by additive manufacturing (aka 3D printing). Since almost all of my AS stuff and other things are printed with PETG I might see if I have time to design a 20 degree pipe adapter. Too bad everything depends on 2 small grooves. The ground thing is a concern with mowers, golf carts and kids. If I go with the mount I'll use a short tripod.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMartin View Post
Good point about being able to realign the dish if it's up on a pole!

I'm guessing that using a compass or just eyeballing north while setting up the pole should be sufficient, but it could be interesting to explore a rotatable pole solution or even an old TV antenna motor
I have the V3 dish mounted on a Harbor Freight flagpole. The flagpole sits in a stand that goes under my tongue jack or a tire. Turning the pole to align the dish is a trivially easy task. You just twist the pole until the app tells you the dish is aligned correctly. Itís as easy as if the dish were sitting on its kickstand on the ground.

You need to buy the pipe adapter from Starlink, the HF flagpole, and a bushing from another guy whose company name escapes me at the moment, plus the under-tire flagpole stand. All told youíre in for about $175 and it works perfectly.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I never saw the need for a pole. The Starlink dish looks up at a pretty steep elevation angle that itíll clear most ground objects. The only issue is with trees.

I have V2 which works fine. I really appreciate the fact that I get a long cable for the dish to router connection. Also the plugs on the router are gasketed and appear waterproof.

Iím not too familiar with V3 but it seems itís an electronically steerable array (ESA) which negates the need for mechanical positioning motors.

Do you get long cables with V3?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I never saw the need for a pole. The Starlink dish looks up at a pretty steep elevation angle that itíll clear most ground objects. The only issue is with trees.

I have V2 which works fine. I really appreciate the fact that I get a long cable for the dish to router connection. Also the plugs on the router are gasketed and appear waterproof.

Iím not too familiar with V3 but it seems itís an electronically steerable array (ESA) which negates the need for mechanical positioning motors.

Do you get long cables with V3?
How do cables go from outside to inside the trailer?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
How do cables go from outside to inside the trailer?
Lots of ways to implement Starlink in your trailer. I take the easy route: All equipment stays outside. I plug the router into the outside power receptacle, position it under the trailer a few inches along with something to protect it from the elements. The only thing that penetrates the trailer is the WiFi signal.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 04:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
After we received our v3, I found the ethernet cable was standard wiring. I decided to install an external RJ45. So for us, it's only the dish and 50' of cable that's outside. The transformer and router are tucked up where the DVD player used to be and the DVD inverter outlet is now used to power the Starlink equipment.

We tossed the original TVs and have two Roku TVs (big bonus - identical remotes) which connect to the Starlink.

I keep thinking a small tripod mount would be nice to keep the antenna off the ground but currently just point it true north and we're online.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	External_RJ45.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	442708  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:50 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Merritt Island , Florida
I bought v2 for the airstream and v3 for the house.
For the airstream I also got a network dongle to attach a mofi6500 router for backup failover to cell capability.
For house I got a second mesh node and attached an older eero system to the network connection. All the house devices switched directly over from old router when I plugged the eero in to v3 node
APalmerIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:05 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
That port doesn't exist on our 2023 International 23FBT. Would be nice. I think we're going to be stuck with something inelegant like running thru the door. I'll ask the new dealer about cable entrance. Maybe near the back bumper and then have a permanent ethernet plug in with the sewer hoses.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
That port doesn't exist on our 2023 International 23FBT. Would be nice. I think we're going to be stuck with something inelegant like running thru the door. I'll ask the new dealer about cable entrance. Maybe near the back bumper and then have a permanent ethernet plug in with the sewer hoses.
If you do a search, some people replace the never used cable TV port with a SmartPlug ethernet/cable (or just Ethernet). Then it's a matter of fishing an ethernet cable to the router location. This is much easier now that V3 is standard ethernet. I opted for an inelegant solution and fished the Starlink cable through the battery cable hole to the router (now a POE connected to a cellular modem). I moved the batteries inside so the abandoned battery box now holds the cable and I can run the dishy up the Harbor Freight pole if necessary.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Nice solution

Excellent idea with the SmartPlug replacement. Our 2023 23FBT has a dual connector - which we've never used. The SM88VR is available from a major vendor for just $75 and is rated weather proof. The only challenge seems to be to routing the ethernet cable up into the interior. For our rig I think the ideal location would be the upper cabinet. The pic shows the cable and satellite connectors in ours. How hard is this to do myself? And idea what a reasonable dealer would charge?

Our is pictured. Ports are labelled Cable and Sat.