Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yup, I used the same! The stock Ethernet port pops out. I needed to make the opening slightly larger but then this connector just slides in place.

https://amzn.to/40w18Pu

I’ve also noticed that smart plug changed the design of this port and its modular side by side now. I’ve seen people take a cell phone case or a piece of plexiglass glass and cut it to size and then drill out the holes needed.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Lake Toxaway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Just plug the Starlink into the exterior power outlet and place the router behind the rear wheel. Attach the flagpole and starlink to your jack with the house tuning clamps and a couple wing nuts, your all set. Works like a charm! I ended up wiring one of my exterior outlets to an inverted circuit for internet while boondocking.

So just to be sure I’m reading this right…..with the router outside you are getting a strong wireless signal inside the trailer…right?

Thanks
Bskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
I’d just be worried about someone coming up and just taking everything.

Follow our adventures!
Old 03-04-2023, 07:58 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I’d just be worried about someone coming up and just taking everything.

Like Apple products, Starlink hardware can only be used by the owner. Without the owner transferring ownership through Starlink, the hardware is useless to anybody else. Also a router in the wheel well is completely invisible unless you stick your head inside the wheel well, for random passersby who may just want to grab something shiny but not know it won’t be worth anything.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Still doesn’t stop someone from just rolling up and taking your modem

Follow our adventures!
Old 03-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
Like Apple products, Starlink hardware can only be used by the owner. Without the owner transferring ownership through Starlink, the hardware is useless to anybody else. Also a router in the wheel well is completely invisible unless you stick your head inside the wheel well, for random passersby who may just want to grab something shiny but not know it won’t be worth anything.
Fortunately, people who know this won't steal it.

Unfortunately, this doesn't protect against the ignorant thieves who will figure out how useless it is only after they get home and try to use the Starlink hardware. They aren't likely to return the hardware for a refund, lol ... so we would end up without our hardware in the end.

I plan on taking down my starlink setup and putting it inside the trailer everytime I leave the trailer unattended. It only takes 30 seconds or so...
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:58 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
They’re more likely to take my Weber Q, which you can see when rolling by. Unless you have a reason to be crawling inside my wheel well, you’d never know my starlink modem exists.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
They’re more likely to take my Weber Q, which you can see when rolling by. Unless you have a reason to be crawling inside my wheel well, you’d never know my starlink modem exists.

So……it DOES give a strong signal inside the trailer…..right?

Ps. Not worried about theft as I’m on 14 acres of private (my) property and very well “protected “ [emoji106]
Old 03-04-2023, 05:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinner View Post
So……it DOES give a strong signal inside the trailer…..right?

Ps. Not worried about theft as I’m on 14 acres of private (my) property and very well “protected “ [emoji106]

Yes. Strong signal throughout the camper (ours is a 30’) and all around nearby.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:36 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Quote:
So just to be sure I’m reading this right…..with the router outside you are getting a strong wireless signal inside the trailer…right?

Thanks
We just used our Starlink for the first time on a trip last week and we were in a remote location. Since we have not made or decided on our permanent cable connection through the Airstream we kept everything outside. For simplicity we just kept the router inside the back of the truck in the truck topper ... draping cable and power over tailgate (we were not going anywhere). The Starlink worked flawless! We had full WiFi bars inside the entire Airstream and outside within a reasonable distance. I believe the reception distance of the router is comparable to a 2,000 square foot house. So that should give you an idea of coverage. Will make our permanent connection before our next outing!

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:52 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRivet View Post
We just used our Starlink for the first time on a trip last week and we were in a remote location. Since we have not made or decided on our permanent cable connection through the Airstream we kept everything outside. For simplicity we just kept the router inside the back of the truck in the truck topper ... draping cable and power over tailgate (we were not going anywhere). The Starlink worked flawless! We had full WiFi bars inside the entire Airstream and outside within a reasonable distance. I believe the reception distance of the router is comparable to a 2,000 square foot house. So that should give you an idea of coverage. Will make our permanent connection before our next outing!

Sooooo

After fighting through trying to get the Airstream Connect system working for a year with multiple SIM cards (never worked worth a crap due to weak cell on our property) and paying for Dish Network (which works great but is no fun without a wireless network). And dealing with weak cell service and limited hot spot data…..

I just got my Starlink system [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Took about 5 minutes to setup and BOOM 🤯

It works GREAT !!!!! All components outside and a full network signal in the trailer.

Now I get to stop paying for Dish (I’ll keep the Winegard and the Wally receiver for road trips ….and have a REAL wireless network. We are in the mountains of western NC with no cable/fiber available. Elon has done it again!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2023, 06:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Sooooo

After fighting through trying to get the Airstream Connect system working for a year with multiple SIM cards (never worked worth a crap due to weak cell on our property) and paying for Dish Network (which works great but is no fun without a wireless network). And dealing with weak cell service and limited hot spot data…..

I just got my Starlink system [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Took about 5 minutes to setup and BOOM 🤯

It works GREAT !!!!! All components outside and a full network signal in the trailer.

Now I get to stop paying for Dish (I’ll keep the Winegard and the Wally receiver for road trips ….and have a REAL wireless network. We are in the mountains of western NC with no cable/fiber available. Elon has done it again!!!!!!
^^ 10-4 on Elon. Great system even in the Rocky Mountains!!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:53 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Myakka City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
https://amzn.to/3RyxfcZ

https://amzn.to/3JEWcBV

Here is the terminal I used as well as the crimp tool. Both were easy to use… my first time and it was simple. For the ground wire I just tucked it under the terminal before I crimped per YouTube instructions.
What do you mean when you say you tucked the ground wire under? Under what? I am electrically challenged.
thebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Brantford , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Just plug the Starlink into the exterior power outlet and place the router behind the rear wheel. Attach the flagpole and starlink to your jack with the house tuning clamps and a couple wing nuts, your all set. Works like a charm! I ended up wiring one of my exterior outlets to an inverted circuit for internet while boondocking.

Nice simple idea without cutting cables. Is your experience 50 amps on standby and 100amps during use? Also how is the signal strength inside the trailer affected?
DCOWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Brantford , Ontario
I found this useful for the Globetrotter 27 FBT:

DCOWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #36

2019 30' International
Overgaard , Arizona
We made a new plate for the Coax/Sat input to make room for the RJ45 connector, cut the cord and have the router sitting by the water heater cover inside.
https://youtu.be/xSz8EXiVVg8
DeeNMe is offline   Reply With Quote