Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Satellite vs Cable input to Airstream

We're looking at a couple of late model used AS. Our current Jayco has a "Satellite/Cable input" outside which goes to one of those little panels near the TV mount inside. When you push the button on the panel, it turns on the amplifier for your OTA tv antenna and connects to the shark fin antenna up top. When you turn the amplifier off, it gots to the cable tv input. Problem is, we have a Pathway X2 DISH antenna and it powers the the motors of the dish thru the coax. This does not work unless you have a direct, unswitched path between the Wally and the dish.

Do Airstreams have separate Satellite and Cable inputs, or will I have to bring a separate coax in like I've had to do with every other RV I've had? I hate the thought of drilling a hole in my new AS.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You only have to change how the cables are connected inside the cavity behind the antenna face plate. The picture below shows the re-wired connection with a direct connection between the satellite receiver and the outside input location using a barrel connector. The face plate needs modification for the cable to exit to the interior equipment location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.01.58 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	399543  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
We're looking at a couple of late model used AS. Our current Jayco has a "Satellite/Cable input" outside which goes to one of those little panels near the TV mount inside. When you push the button on the panel, it turns on the amplifier for your OTA tv antenna and connects to the shark fin antenna up top. When you turn the amplifier off, it gots to the cable tv input. Problem is, we have a Pathway X2 DISH antenna and it powers the the motors of the dish thru the coax. This does not work unless you have a direct, unswitched path between the Wally and the dish.

Do Airstreams have separate Satellite and Cable inputs, or will I have to bring a separate coax in like I've had to do with every other RV I've had? I hate the thought of drilling a hole in my new AS.

There are differences in the Airstream models, mostly varying with age. Some, or maybe even most, of the newer models have two cables,one marked for cable and one marked for satellite. Prior to that, some models had a plate on the wall near the main TV with two cable connectors. One went to the outside connector, the other went to the ANTENNA/CABLE switch. Without satellite there was a short jumper cable there. Early satellite receivers had the capability to pass the cable signal through or to convert the satellite signal to Channel 3 or 4 and were connected between those two connectors That is not possible with HD so the capability has been dropped. But I mounted a switch there and switched the outside connector cable to the ANTENNA/CABLE switch or to the satellite receiver and ran an HDMI cable to the TV.

Long story short, it depends on the year and model. Find out where the cable connector is on the outside of trailers you are looking at and see if it also has a satellite connector there.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote