Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Satellite Internet- pulled the trigger

Right before I left for Padre just before the holidays, I fell into a deal on a used satellite system for internet. The modem has to be replaced, but I have it on order as of this morning. The upshot of the whole thing is- for under $500 I will be completely mobile from here on out in regard to internet.

I used a cellular card for the past year and a half but given my propensity for getting out in the boondocks where cell signals are not existent, this seems a better choice. I hope to have my system up and going in the next week or so. I will keep everyone posted on how it works out for me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Rodney;

Good for you. We would like to know how the time on Padre Island went.
The last posting we got was the water was up to your door step so you had to move to another site. We are assuming you are back in Lawton educating the kiddos.

Bob and Lou
Members Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Good for you. We would like to know how the time on Padre Island went. The last posting we got was the water was up to your door step so you had to move to another site. We are assuming you are back in Lawton educating the kiddos.
Indeed, I am back in Lawton, classes begin Monday. The beach was great, sand everywhere still . It was a lazy couple weeks for sure. I had a great time, saw better than half a dozen airstreams, and went surf fishing for the first time. Its almost time to start sorting out spring break and the summer.....

Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
Rodney,
How does that satellite system work exactly?
and do you have a monthly fee to pay?
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking09 View Post
Rodney,
How does that satellite system work exactly?
and do you have a monthly fee to pay?
Not being an electronics guy, I hesitate to respond, but here it is as I understand it. The apparatus consists of a dish, receiver and modem. The dish is mounted on a tripod so that you can move it about. Presumably, the up-going signals are radio in nature, but in any case you do not need any phone line whatsoever. Each time you move you have to realign your system to the assigned satellite, but that does not appear to be all that big of a deal. You do have to pay a monthly fee, and its not cheap. The only reasons I have gone this route are: 1) I figured out how to do the hardware for under $500 instead of the $1,500 of a new system; and, 2) I spend significant amounts of time boondocking far away from cell signals. I'm not sure how well this answers your question, if you have a more specific question I will be happy to try and answer it.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Rodney;

Who is your provider? Is a Hughes Sattelite or what? Any tricks to the method of getting the system for about 30% of retail??
When you decide what your spring/summer trip route is going to be let us know. If you are going to be in the 4 Corners area we would like to meet up with you for a few days.

Bob and Lou
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Congratulations Rodney on your new "baby". I hope it isn't too expensive as all electronics seem to ask for more electronic goodies like one of those items that finds the satellite for you. Glad to hear you got some relaxing in as I know you are an expert.

Where to next summer?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rodney,
I am guessing that your system is similar to the Datastrom System..Here's a link to a RV'er that I have been following for years now..You might like to read his blog abt his system ?
The Adventures of Tioga and George
Also, this is a link to the users group..It provides a wealth of info, world wide~!
Datastorm Users
It's neat the way the map allows you to keep track of other users nearby..
Good luck~!
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm interested in these setups too. However I see a couple of problems. I understand that legally the dish has to be 6' off the ground (they transmit microwave power and shouldn't be aimed at people). Given that, how does anyone put dishes like these on top of their Airstream? It's not a familiar sight, but maybe they do.

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote