Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
RV Full Time WiFi and TV

Hi All,

This is one leg of research I have been assigned (Moni here) and it seems pretty complex. We are planning on full timing - leaving early July 2019 and are currently in the remodel mode of out Argosy. We plan on a lot of non-fancy RV stays and boondocking.

It seems for internet my Verizon with a booster will work with computers and phones.

However, we have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime that we stream on our Smart TV. It seems this will not work because its way too much money with just a wifi booster. So, it seems a satellite is in order???

This is my question:

Cellular for phones and computer?
Satellite for TV?

Any input would be greatly appreciated ~ Thanks
ScottandMoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have been using Dish Network with a tailgater when we travel (50%). We also have the same service at our home. The service works well except in Canada and Alaska. You can change your service location to get local stations as you travel.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I am happy with DirecTV Now streaming on a Cricket Wireless (AT&T) unlimited cellphone data plan for my cable TV viewing while traveling in the Airstream. https://www.directvnow.com/ I can stream 105 cable channels over my cellphone and put it on a large TV through an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter With a smart TV, you may not need the Apple Lightening Digital AV Adapter. I also use the same DirecTV Now streaming for home cable TV using an AppleTV over WIFI and Spectrum Internet connection.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I recently bought Dish for house and added Walley (portable dish) for AS for $7 more per month. With no at home service you pick the package you want but min $34 month. Add a USB specifically for Dish Wally and you can get Netflix and some other apps on the tv but you need internet connection. Read others use cell for movies, etc but need good data plan and good signal. Also using Fire TV, again need good internet
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Boondocking...your going to need an inverter and/or generator, and/or solar panels for power and recharging. On the road, wifi is usually weak and/or expensive with cellular for streaming. Satellite TV and Redbox seem to be the best alternatives.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottandMoni View Post
Hi All,

This is one leg of research I have been assigned (Moni here) and it seems pretty complex. We are planning on full timing - leaving early July 2019 and are currently in the remodel mode of out Argosy. We plan on a lot of non-fancy RV stays and boondocking.

It seems for internet my Verizon with a booster will work with computers and phones.

However, we have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime that we stream on our Smart TV. It seems this will not work because its way too much money with just a wifi booster. So, it seems a satellite is in order???

This is my question:

Cellular for phones and computer?
Satellite for TV?

Any input would be greatly appreciated ~ Thanks
I use an "unlimited" jetpack from Verizon for work, which does email just fine at throttled speeds, and will even do Netflix on a phone while throttled in a pinch. I download shows on my phone on the Netflix app to watch later while I'm at the gym where there's wifi, which saves my unthrottled data.

I've contemplated getting a larger tablet to use for the downloaded Netflix, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

I'd save the TV for DVDs. (Redbox?) Streaming to a TV just consumes too much data to be worth it, IMO.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
Thank you ~

Thank you all so much for the replies so far.

I did make a call to Dish (we have comcast at home and will be leaving home to full-time RV) so just concerned with what will happen once we are in the RV.

From what I can decipher here we have a few different choices.

1. Use Verizon and booster (which is our service) for computers and phone internet. Already checked into cost and data plans; then

2. Either only watch movies from DVD on TV; or

3. Buy a satellite dish (already checked prices and packages with Dish), and a package so we can get cable tv. The rep at Dish said we would have unlimited streaming with the dish in 48 states. She referred us to
dishformyrv.com which I going to check out tomorrow.

So very appreciative for the information and if you have more its welcome
ScottandMoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
I have a tailgater and it works great. In the US. Not so much in Canada especially Nova Scotia. But we are out and about during most days and if I am in a place that has wifi I will download something from netflix and watch it on the TV with the adapter mentioned above. That works perfectly. You don't use up your data downloading and you have a huge selection of stuff to pick from. I used to carry a bunch of DVDs. No longer.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I use the Verizon jetpack with the unlimited data plan (for working from the AS) supplemented by the WiFi Ranger to boost the signal when needed. I also purchased the Tailgater from Dish for cable (don't have Dish at home) but in hindsight, don't really use it that much. Bear in mind that if you want local channels, it's an extra ~$15/month. Dish doesn't automatically switch the channels as you travel about. You'll have to do it by entering the zip code on their app or by calling them. I download from Netflix a lot on my iPhone (I use a WeBoost in areas of weak signals) and then hook it up to the AS TV.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
We also use a Dish Wally when we travel. Have also learned that with the AT&T unlimited plan to stream movies you can blow through you unlimited plan in just a couple days. A dish Wally with a Tailgater is really the way to go. Also don’t do a stationary mount on top as trees will almost always be in the way. Most importantly is do not as any more cable to what is provided with the dome and no connectors as your voltage will drop and your signal often
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottandMoni View Post
Thank you all so much for the replies so far.

I did make a call to Dish (we have comcast at home and will be leaving home to full-time RV) so just concerned with what will happen once we are in the RV.

From what I can decipher here we have a few different choices.

1. Use Verizon and booster (which is our service) for computers and phone internet. Already checked into cost and data plans; then

2. Either only watch movies from DVD on TV; or

3. Buy a satellite dish (already checked prices and packages with Dish), and a package so we can get cable tv. The rep at Dish said we would have unlimited streaming with the dish in 48 states. She referred us to
dishformyrv.com which I going to check out tomorrow.

So very appreciative for the information and if you have more its welcome
Moni, I believe you missed that DirecTV Now is a fourth choice. With DirecTV Now, you would stream cable TV over your (Verizon) Unlimited phone plan without needing a dish. The DirecTV "dish" version will allow you to get cable TV when you don't have phone service, the DirecTV Now "streaming" version will work when you have 4G cellphone service and tree canopy.

I like the "streaming" version and not having to set up a dish. If there is something I really want to watch on cable TV, I stay where there is 4G cell service.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I use a Roku Streaming Stick®+ in a HDMI port connected via wifi. I also use Hulu Live TV, and ROKU has Netflix, Amazon Prime, plus many more free and pay channels. The down side is that if you do not have cell service then you do not have access. Another down side might be if you do not have unlimited data it could be expensive. The ROKU/HULU combo made it possible for me to rid myself of cable boxes at home at less than 1/3 the price of cable. All you need is internet data service.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Less Junk/More Journey is doing a video on what works for them.
They claim to have tried many different things to get from cell service to streaming TV.
I'm looking forward to it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5155.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	328647

Here’s my setup. We removed the Blu-ray and went for a PS4. Also added a hdmi switch and an Apple TV so we can watch Apple TV, Netflix, Blu-ray, or just play some video games on both TVs.

For internet I just tether my phone to everything else. Only issue is when we don’t have cell phone service then we end up switching to the pink box on top of the TV (usually Velcro to the back so it’s not visible). Pink box is a 4T hard drive with a ton of movies on it.

Been full timing since March. Haven’t ran into issues yet with this setup. I do with I had better cell service at times but with the Verizon unlimited plan I am still able to get Netflix and all from my phone and push it onto the TV via Apple TV or just connect to the internet from any other device to watch.

Hope this helps as another option

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
The answer you seek can be broad as there are many approaches.

Your question of cost for streaming due to data/$ is/or can get high depending on use. There are several things you can do to work around it. Here is one;

You can root your phone and use root based wifi tether apps that do not report your hotspot usage. This may not be the right side of the law which I am NOT promoting, simply "I read it somewhere on the internet".

I am sure many will chime in, but this is what I read on the "internet".
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Multiple SIMs

For INTERNET access in our trailer, we use a Sierra Wireless MP70 mobile gateway. The MP70 has slots for two SIM cards. The LX-60 is a good option if one SIM slot is adequate.

We added four SIMs to our Verizon "unlimited" family plan. Each SIM provides 15 GB/mon = 60 GB/mon. Cost is $17.50/mon/SIM. That's $1.17/GB/mon. We will always have access even when exceeding the 60GB/mon.

You switch between the SIMs using the web interface. Once we exceed 15 GB/mon on one SIM, we move to the second installed one. We then swap out the "dead" SIM with a fresh one.

This method is the lowest cost we have found for LTE data service. You can start with one or two SIMs and see if that covers your data needs.

We also have our two iPhones, each of which include an additional 22GB/mon before throttling.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We have the Dish/Wally combo and have used it just a few times. We expect that to change on our coast to coast trip. We're not in for the movies but simply current news, access to the normal abc/cbs etc programming and an occasional Duck game. We went with the Dish pay as you go for $45/30 days smart pack. Fox news, Bloomberg, fox sports, the 5 or so local channels and an abundance of other programming we'll never watch. Obviously there are numerous other plans.I

We have a jetpak but have not opted the streaming model. Dish is challenging enough for this grey head that still listens to vinyl znd uses a tracfone flip phone.
Here is a recent thread on the Dish/Wally install etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ost2168101appy

Happy trails!

Btw... You're the second CA town i had to lookup tonight, and I was a Bay Area native and pleasure point/hook regular in my teens.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I just signed up for the new Verizon hotspot prepaid plan that the Mobile Internet Resource center uncovered. $65 a month prepaid. No cap but subject to throttling. It’s been bringing in 3Mb-30Mb data rates in a pretty marginal two bar location. I got their new flagship hotspot, the MiFi 8800L. I can also use Wifi calling over our AT&T phones using this jetpack.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-for-jetpacks/
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
RV Full Time WiFi and TV

We have been full time for just over 3 years.

Best thing we ever did is buy a at&t Mobley and it’s unlimited service along with a weboost with external antenna.
We have that in addition to unlimited Verizon cellular plans.

We stream all tv through the Mobley, which is $20/month which can get throttled but typically doesn’t, we have used over 300gb in a month on this plan.

I have no idea if the plan is still available, but it’s probably not, it is for an unlimited mobile hotspot designed to work in your car.

With the tandem of cellular services and devices and the weboost we don’t have issues.

We also have a unlimited OTA TiVo, and upgraded the antenna, if we get decent antenna coverage this is great for Dvr from networks that are in range.

We also have an Apple TV, blue ray player, Roku stick/projector (mostly for watching football outside). An hdmi switch, a digital stereo amp, monitor audio speakers, diy custom tiny home theater subwoofer, etc. all of this I control with a Logitech harmony remote which takes the number of remotes needed to watch tv from like 5 to 1 and is very easy to use once properly programmed.

UPDATE

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html

Mobley Plan may be available see link, also you have to buy power adapters to make this work inside the AS. Theory and others experience is that at&t is not as strict or on top of throttling especially with the mobile WiFi devices.

One more potential negative is the Mobley can only support 5 devices at a time, if that’s a problem you will have to add a WiFi repeater of sorts, that can receive the signal from the Mobley and broadcast that internet over a new network.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Not So Smart TV

It has been my experience that its better to get the best screen for your budget and then get something like the Roku (a separate streaming device).
I have a 4 year old Samsung 40" (which was the shizzle back in 2014) but it seems the hardware and software advances so quickly that the "smart" part doesn't function so good anymore. The display still looks great, but every year or so, I get a new Roku for the latest in streaming tech (which maybe helps with data rates? $$$?).
Trying to find a reliable provider that can give me 30 Gigs a month (that's 2 hours of tube time a night) for less than a king's ransom is like pullin' teeth.
Verizon cellular is like $180 for that. HughesNet is fraught with peril and I still don't have the Dish TV figgered out yet.
I'm a "tech nomad". I can live anywhere with a water supply. All I need is a good, affordable internet connection in the boonies) and based on what I'm reading online, it seems cell would be the main connect with satellite backup.
But the California mountain ranges don't have much (if any) cell or wifi access so satellite it must be?
I'm following this thread for solutions... keep those cards and letters coming, folks!
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote