Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2023, 08:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Beverly , Massachusetts
Replacing out of the box peplink with weboost

Hi All,

I've got the out of the box "Airstream connected" peplink cellular modem and like many others I'm not particularly happy with the speed (no 5G?) as well as the plans (was hoping to just reuse my t-mobile hotspot SIM rather than get a brand new plan from technorv). The way I see it, my main options are:
  • Swap out the existing peplink for a newer version of the same thing, but with 5g and hope things get much better (dubious and lots of $)
  • Remove the peplink and put in a weboost cell booster in its place

I know that these are fundamentally different things (cellular modem vs just boosting the cull signal), but the reason I am leaning towards the weboost is that I wouldn't need any kind of data plan for it since I would just be relying on my existing phone plans (which are unlimited). The downsides / questions I have are:
  • In order to get computers and the like online, I would need to tether them to my phone (really don't love this)
  • I don't know if the out of the box airstream antenna will work with the weboost

I'm honestly on the fence here. Anyone with some specific advice / experience in this direction? Not looking for answers like "get starlink"

Thanks!
cdesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
Perpetual Rookie

2022 20' Basecamp
Falls Church , Virginia
We use a Netgear Nighthawk mobile router (4g LTE) and its worked great. Video calls, streaming for the kids, etc - no issues traveling the eastern and north central US.

I think your solution is going to depend greatly on where you'll be using your system (urban vs. rural areas) and what kind of speeds you actually require. 5G is definitely faster than 4G, but 5G is going to be a rare animal in rural settings. And 4G is no slouch when it comes to speed, especially if you have a good antenna and decent signal strength.

If you can do an external antenna, that help greatly with the signal strength - and that's the key factor. A good 4G connection will beat out a poor 5G connection any day of the week.
Pquotes is offline   Reply With Quote