Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch RV GPS

I would like to hear from owners of the following GPS:
Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch RV GPS

Does it really do, and do well, all of the things that are listed in the sales information?
Would it be worth while to switch from my current Garmin unit?
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was reading the reviews on Amazon. Most were not very impressed with the unit or dealing with Rand McNally for customer service.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just an opinion: If you plan to use the 7-inch GPS in other vehicles, too; the screen is huge compared to other GPS's and will block more of your view on the dash of regular cars. Also, try putting this GPS in your shirt or coat pocket.

We looked at this GPS, but were steered away after taking these things into consideration. However, the other features are enticing...

Note: We also bought a 4.3-inch GPS, instead of a 5-inch model, for the same reasons.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I broke down and bought one for my self for Christmas, so I have only been able to test it to find the local Walmart, which was already stored in the POI's.

So far I am impressed. It has a whole lot of RV parks, campgrounds and State/Nat parks loaded. Has dump stations loaded. Gas, food restaurants etc.

You can set it for the size of your rig to avoid steep grades and low bridges.

It knows where speed signs are and notifies you ahead of time of a lower speed ahead and can be set to warn you when you exceed a set speed limit variance.

There is a whole lot to learn yet and need to test on a real trip.

Can't compare it to other Garmins because I only had a handheld with topo maps for hiking. But will report back after I get to travel with it.

They are on holiday sale at RecreationNation.com for $319 with no tax and free shipping and free lifetime map upgrades if you order in 2011.

Oh and the 7" screen on the dash is not a problem in a F150.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
mojo,
Yes, please follow up with how the unit proforms when underway. I like the old computer disc called TripMaker from Rand McNally that I received free from Mobil oil as a promotion item back in 1990's. I still use it before I go on a trip for mileage and info and maps. Rand McNally did a good job with that program way back in the dark ages, so I'll bet the new gps is pretty sweet.
I've don't like the Garmin I presently use when on the road. It has led me down the path a few times, so to speak.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
OK, just got back from a round trip from Durango to Phoenix with the RVND and I must say I am very happy with it. It allows you to punch in the L & W & H of your trailer or RV plus tow vehicle or toad. You can ask it to avoid dirt roads or Interstates, warn you of sharp curves, grades, construction, low bridges, tunnels and ferries, speed changes and speed warnings. You can also set it for just a car or TV/TT vehicle combination. When in car mode, it gives you more flexibility for going down backroads and dead ends where it won't let you go with a trailer or large RV.

Plus it has thousands of POI's built in as well as find feature. Rest areas include Wal-Marts and truck stops that allow RV overnights. It has all of the state and national parks loaded as well as plenty of private RV parks and you can easily load your own spots. It has dump stations and RV service locations loaded.

It recalculates pretty quick if you choose to alter your route although it continues to find alternatives to the original route. But you can make it detour or cancel the previous route. You can enter multi-stop routes if you want to avoid the fastest/shortest route feature.

It is easy to read and easy to program once you get the hang of it. Like all electronics it takes practice. The manual is only available online which is one drawback.

It has an anti-glare screen but it does get washed out in direct sun. They will be offering a snap on sunshade soon which will help. The windshield mount is very sturdy and the unit removes easily, but I may look for a bean bag mount so as to be able to stash the unit and mount away from temptation.

Overall, I am happy with it, but I can not compare it to other car units like Garmin and Tom Tom because I have never tried them. But all of the built in RV features makes it much more compatible for this kind of travel.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
mojo,
Great update. It has features that are much better than my Garmin. I like the fact that it won't take you down a dead end street, my Garmin has done that several times and that is a pretty big thing to me when my tow vehicle and trailer are a little over 50' long.
Thanks for the review.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
I was happy to stumble onto this thread, as I'm looking at this,,, any updates on opinions,,, has anyone else experienced the glare problem and did the sun shade solve the problem?