Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Thank you very much. I know Verizon is the best service coverage (as compared to my current ATT). Hoping I can just switch services and not bother with the booster etc.
SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I'm about to dive into this as well.
Is there anything new I need to know since this thread ended?
Weboost 4g-x booster + wilson indoor antenna (part # ??) mounted to ceiling and surecall omni outdoor antenna (part # ??).

Thanks in advance. We just spent 5 glorious days in the mtns. with zero bars and it was awesome. Unfortunately nobody else felt that way, sigh
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
I'm about to dive into this as well.
Is there anything new I need to know since this thread ended?
Weboost 4g-x booster + wilson indoor antenna (part # ??) mounted to ceiling and surecall omni outdoor antenna (part # ??).

Thanks in advance. We just spent 5 glorious days in the mtns. with zero bars and it was awesome. Unfortunately nobody else felt that way, sigh
It's really simple to order Wilson parts! Just call the 3G Store at 1 800 338 2378, tell them I sent you and tell them what you want. I have been using the Wilson WeBoost 4G-X cell system with the Sure Call antenna and Wilson plate antenna indoors with great results. I add this to almost every RV that I do solar on and the results have been just great. You will also need the mounting plate for the indoor Wilson antenna, which I think they also have.

You might want to try it yourself!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Lew,
Just because you love giving free advice and I'd love to ply you with free beer and never know....

2017 FC 25' FB with solar.

You say the best place to stash the WeBoost is above the fridge. Got it.

Best place to tap 12 V?

Where to put the outside antenna and best route

Placement of indoor antenna is anywhere in the middle. Got it. What about running the coax cable from the weboost to the indoor antenna? Imagine I'd drill a hole in the over fridge cabinet and use stick on cable ties?

Thanks for the Wilson Info. Mrs. Too Tall says get this done!!! haha I hear and I obey.

Yeah...I'll definitely end up owing you a few beers.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

Outside antenna should be in the center of your trailer either at the front or rear of the roof. That makes the best location! Other spots in the middle also work, but the 2 I suggested work BEST!

If you are running the unit above the fridge, then you should tap into the fridge 12VDC outlet at the rear of the fridge. No better place.

Also, your indoor antenna can be located just above the fridge cabinet so as to reduce the amount of cable that you need for it.

Just a few suggestions! Have fun.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Lew,
Just because you love giving free advice and I'd love to ply you with free beer and never know....

2017 FC 25' FB with solar.

You say the best place to stash the WeBoost is above the fridge. Got it.

Best place to tap 12 V?

Where to put the outside antenna and best route

Placement of indoor antenna is anywhere in the middle. Got it. What about running the coax cable from the weboost to the indoor antenna? Imagine I'd drill a hole in the over fridge cabinet and use stick on cable ties?

Thanks for the Wilson Info. Mrs. Too Tall says get this done!!! haha I hear and I obey.

Yeah...I'll definitely end up owing you a few beers.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Lew can I lean on you again? The Wilson tech. is pushing their RV kit #470410 hard!
He says it is the best combo. I take you at your word and wanted to confirm before burning up my CC.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When you mount the "inside" antenna, consider that you need to get *really* close to it for maximum performance. Six inches is better than two feet is better than four feet in this case. You may want to mount the antenna near a seating location for this reason.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
It's really simple to order Wilson parts! Just call the 3G Store at 1 800 338 2378, tell them I sent you and tell them what you want. I have been using the Wilson WeBoost 4G-X cell system with the Sure Call antenna and Wilson plate antenna indoors with great results. I add this to almost every RV that I do solar on and the results have been just great. You will also need the mounting plate for the indoor Wilson antenna, which I think they also have.

You might want to try it yourself!!!!
Lewster thanks for your help. I called the 3Gstore and told them that you recommended them and they looked up what you order and I purchased the same. The 3Gstore was very easy to work with and the equipment is being delivered this Friday

Thanks again for your help and advice

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
Lewster thanks for your help. I called the 3Gstore and told them that you recommended them and they looked up what you order and I purchased the same. The 3Gstore was very easy to work with and the equipment is being delivered this Friday

Thanks again for your help and advice
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
I install the WeBoost 4G-X cell boosters on a regular basis. I always pair them with a Wilson indoor 'plate' antenna (usually mounted to the ceiling) and a SureCall Omni outdoor antenna. The combination works well and I have had very positive feedback from my clients.

All of these components are readily available from 3Gstore.com
Lew i ordered the parts form the 3Gstore and they are great to deal with. I have a 2015 25' International, where should I mount the SureCall Omni antenna?I know that the antenna should be located at the rear of the trailer and in the center, is there anything that I can bolt on to? I also bought the Wilson low loss 400 cable I assume that the cable will fit in the refrigerator vent.

Thanks for your help and all of the advice that you post on Airforums.

Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 12-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Glad that you went with the Wilson amplifier! I mount the outdoor Surecall Antenna to a couple of medium feet that are meant for solar panel use. Works GREAT!! I also place the antenna on the top of the compartment that is above the fridge with an on/off switch.

Your cable for the low loss 400 WILL definitely fit into your fridge vent. I usually remove the rivets for this, as I add the phone system when adding solar wire. You might do the same by drilling out the rivets, removing the screen, adding the phone wire and replacing all of the above with screws and SikaFlex over them.

If you send me your address, I'll gladly send a couple of feet to you, along with the rest of the required stuff. You should use stainless screws and grey SikaFkex. I can send you a whole install package if you like. Just let me know..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
Lew i ordered the parts form the 3Gstore and they are great to deal with. I have a 2015 25' International, where should I mount the SureCall Omni antenna?I know that the antenna should be located at the rear of the trailer and in the center, is there anything that I can bolt on to? I also bought the Wilson low loss 400 cable I assume that the cable will fit in the refrigerator vent.

Thanks for your help and all of the advice that you post on Airforums.

Bob
Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So I am trying to make sense of these two separate comments:
"Most folks seem to be able to use the entire length of the trailer when the Wilson panel antenna is placed around midships." (Lewster)
and "consider that you need to get *really* close to it for maximum performance. Six inches is better than two feet is better than four feet in this case." (Uncle Bob). So I'm not sure if I need maximum performance but will I get acceptable performance at both ends of my FC 27 with the indoor antennae midship, or should I put it at the end I will use it at the most?--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Glad that you went with the Wilson amplifier! I mount the outdoor Surecall Antenna to a couple of medium feet that are meant for solar panel use. Works GREAT!! I also place the antenna on the top of the compartment that is above the fridge with an on/off switch.

Your cable for the low loss 400 WILL definitely fit into your fridge vent. I usually remove the rivets for this, as I add the phone system when adding solar wire. You might do the same by drilling out the rivets, removing the screen, adding the phone wire and replacing all of the above with screws and SikaFlex over them.

If you send me your address, I'll gladly send a couple of feet to you, along with the rest of the required stuff. You should use stainless screws and grey SikaFkex. I can send you a whole install package if you like. Just let me know..........
I just sent you email. Thanks again

Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Purchasing a 4G booster - do I get the interior whip or panel antenna?

Our continuous experience with our system from Labor Day until now shows the following:

Hands down, the best solution is a Yagi antenna that we can aim at a cell tower, connected to a Cradlepoint Router (or other similar device) which then spits out WiFi that can be used both inside and outside the trailer. This system, without fail, has brought in surprisingly strong LTE signals and good performance.

An acceptable second-best in most cases is to use a WeBoost 4G-X booster, a Wilson panel antenna inside, and an Omnicall antenna on the roof. Sometimes it successfully and significantly boosts a signal, while at other times we see no difference the number of bars. It is definitely not as good as the Yagi-based solution above, but it is certainly better than the Wilson Sleek cradle booster that we used to have for our phone.

The best of the best is to have both solutions in your trailer so you can change configurations depending on what you find when you set up camp.

Again, I emphasize that we have been able to pull in a useable signal in almost every place we camped from Labor Day until now. One notable exception: Manzanita Lake Campground in Lassen Volcanic National Park. We got a bit of signal there now and then, but nothing we could really depend upon. Good thing we didn’t really care that night! There were plenty of nights were we got full bars on our Yagi / router solution and watched Netflix while others were stumbling around outside with their cell phones hoping to find a bar or two.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote