Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #1
wmiller959

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Pottery Barn, PepLink router setups

Just wanting some feedback on how everyone has setup their PepLink routers in their trailer's. What carrier did you get your SIM cards from? Have you had any difficulties getting your routers out to install your SIM cards etc. Thanks in advance.
wmiller959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #2
EDuprey

2022 25' Globetrotter
Brownstown , Michigan
I have the dual sim card Peplink BR1 mini router using a Poynting (?) roof mounted antenna with great results. One sim card is a legacy one I had with my Verizon hot spot. Plan is 50GB a month but I only pay $20 a month for. The other sim is an AT&T Unlimited Business plan that I have yet to see AT&T throttle it down. That one is $80 month. We stream our TV watching via DirecTV Stream. Everything works as advertised.

2023 Globetrotter 25FBT
300W Solar, 300AH BB Batteries, Victron 3000W Inverter, CerboGX, & Charge Controllers, LevelMate Pro, Peplink Router, Victron AC to DC Charger
TV: 2023 Expedition Max w/HD Tow Package
Eduprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I had the roof top antennae installed. I use Verizon, AT&T and TMobile sim cards. Have used the Pepwave for three or so years and it works flawlessly. I have a monthly plan through Techno RV where I can turn the service on and off as needed.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Peoria , Arizona
How/where did you install the pep wave antennae? I’ve seen people remove the tv one. Also heard issues feeding the wires down. Thanks
Motorsport36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
In my 2021 International 25FBT, we had to drill out the ceiling panels back in the bedroom area; to enable a proper routing of the 7-in-1 wiring from the mount location (locker over beds) to the roof. Airstream still only includes a 5-in-1 cable run by default and the new cable could not run that same route. My pepwave 42G 360 MIMO antennae is mounted exactly where the original cable hole was drilled at the factory. I also tapped into the 12v wiring at the locker to power the pepwave.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
In the 2021 Classic here trying to get the Peplink BR1 Mini to work.. in Canada. Updated the firmware that was OK.

Cannot get it to connect to CELL - I have a data-only SIM card that is working, but not getting an IP from Rogers.

Other than that Im dead in the water, tried every setting with the thing, typical computer hackin' late night, with no resolution.

Any ideas out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pepstink.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	442273  
Old 03-29-2024, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
I have a different modem (MoFi 5G), but addressing plans I went on a journey trying to figure out what plan works best. We camp maybe 3 months out of the year and use the modem as a backup to Starlink. I checked all the major carriers and they all have a month-to-month charge and usually charge a activation fee ($40+) if the service is suspended and reactivated. I found GoogleFi does not charge for reactivation, but their data is relatively expensive. I'm currently on a data only plan, I got a promotion from these guys. I got it working but we haven't been out yet this year to try it. If you are in similar circumstances a search of data-only plans might be the way to go.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
In my 2021 International 25FBT, we had to drill out the ceiling panels back in the bedroom area; to enable a proper routing of the 7-in-1 wiring from the mount location (locker over beds) to the roof. Airstream still only includes a 5-in-1 cable run by default and the new cable could not run that same route. My pepwave 42G 360 MIMO antennae is mounted exactly where the original cable hole was drilled at the factory. I also tapped into the 12v wiring at the locker to power the pepwave.
Hi, thanks for posting and sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it has useful information as 4G and 5G develops .
Did you route the 7-1 cables tosupport 5G ? On our 2021 airstream we do have the 5-1 cable routed through. It’s not gonna be a work from home situation and we’re only using it a few times a month to watch an hour of stream TV at the end of the night / maybe check a little bit of email.
I think I understand your install correctly if you go to a 5G modem then you need to go to a new 5G antenna and so you’re talking about $600 in hardware ?
Did I sum it up correctly.
Looking at data plans we came across T-Mobile will do 30gb for $10 a month unless the rep quoted me incorrectly
Old 03-30-2024, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
Hi, thanks for posting and sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it has useful information as 4G and 5G develops .
Did you route the 7-1 cables tosupport 5G ? On our 2021 airstream we do have the 5-1 cable routed through. It’s not gonna be a work from home situation and we’re only using it a few times a month to watch an hour of stream TV at the end of the night / maybe check a little bit of email.
I think I understand your install correctly if you go to a 5G modem then you need to go to a new 5G antenna and so you’re talking about $600 in hardware ?
Did I sum it up correctly.
Looking at data plans we came across T-Mobile will do 30gb for $10 a month unless the rep quoted me incorrectly
Butting in... you don't need a 4x4 antenna (7-1) for 5G, so you can use the existing Airstream Connected cables. The 4x4 antenna has much better range and I installed it (but I work remotely) and as indicated you have to fish the cables through the 2x2 opening (pull it through). It's very doable but a bit tricky (a lot of cable lube and a helper required). You will need a 5G modem/router of course for 5G. 5G is much more future proof, but 4G/LTE works and maybe for you 5G is not all that necessary as well if you want to save some money. Mobile Must Have was a good resource for me and they are very good at answering questions.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Yeah for 5G CELL depends on where you are hangin' at, and for how long that'll be. 5G is probably several years away for full network deployment?

Like we were in state parks, or in rural areas it was all 4G/LTE. And even 5G is set to lower freq for extended range and strength country areas, I think.

Wifi 5GHZ might get you a boost in speed inside the trailer, paired with 4G/LTE, which is where Airstream is now if im not mistaken.

I did a bit of ookla speed testing with our wifi setups
20 MBPS is kinda of the min for browsing, email, youtube.
100 MBPS is very good, that is the old wired ethernet speed.
I'd be happy with that on the road.

Our home Telus fibre gigabit on Wifi5 pulls 200-400 MBPS with a distributed network. Get spoiled with that speed!
Old 03-31-2024, 12:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Pepwave peplink 5g

Thanks to you both for your quick replies. You were helpful, so I went ahead with a pepwave - peplink Max transit 5G that was selling new on eBay for about half the price. Likely will go with a T-Mobile data plan ( current 5g plans when I called were $20 for 20 gb) that seems to be the cheapest option.

just looking to have some connectivity when we’re out and about, and decide we want that as an option.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
OK Peplink Mini BR1 is Connected.! Got it to go on Rogers in the Canadian wilderness, boondocking off-grid, barricaded on a massive arsenal of Lithium batteries. Just kidding!!

It is a rural area tho, but there is a new tower up on a peak pretty close to us, built by Rogers.

The $5 EIOTClub trial SIM card I got appears to be a cell service in Hong Kong, and I am ROAMING with it and only 4G. It doesn't support 5G. I had to use the EIOT APN in order to get an IP address hook-up. So not "Auto" which couldn't resolve or the APN for Rogers, which I tried initially.

With this SIM I can roam throughout Canada or the USA, 24GB for $200, 1 year expiry. I called Rogers support earlier who said only their SIM cards work, but that's not true.

Result: Speed is at 20-30 MBPS on Cell service, a bit less with the Peprouter on Wifi. =Min standard. The deal with the Peplink setup is the roof antenna and cell support is good for deep-in-country, cell signal strength low.

For an urban area, or cell signal strength is good, just using an iPhone hotspot on 5G will net 100MBPS, =way better!

On our last trip I took "the beast" a 5G WIFI extender to automatically grab my iPhone hotspot and create an in-trailer wifi network. Problem on on that trip is I didn't have an unlimited data plan at that time. And data top-ups were $ouch! We had WEBOOST in our Globetrotter and that was pretty good as a cell signal amplifier.

Hmm - Really all that is needed is a decent cell signal booster outside, to the iPhone in the trailer, tethered to the "beast' pumping out solid 5G wifi connectivity Something like, but still needs a roof top antenna https://www.surecallboosters.ca/prod...signal-booster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASconnected.png
Views:	5
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	442406   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASconnectedspeeds.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	442407  

Old 04-02-2024, 06:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
More to add after looking at the Airstream antennas and boosters. Correct me if I'm wrong -

'21 Classic Airstream has a Poynting antenna installed. I dont have a model # ID'd but looks like https://poynting.tech/antennas/mimo-...re=29511,29512

This antenna is a good one, with MIMO (multiple in/out) operation, wifi and GPS. Already in place, what's not to like? It has the freq range to handle 5G too from its specs.

A cell booster (eg WeBoost) with a female SMA coax port, should be able to use one cable off same antenna, but its a downgrade - only SISO (single in/out ) operation, and the latency of a relay box, overall has to be slower.

Therefore, I think it's best to retain the MIMO of the Pep router w/SIM and use that for places like for example, Fort Stevens State park. Good test case there.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:09 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Thanks all for this thread. We are new to Tmobile so ������*♂️ but they have a special for any customer. 2 - 30gbs cards for $15. We couldn’t pass up.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
I just called T-Mobile and their SIM cards are the deal. They'll seamlessly roam in Canada too, so that's perfect.

But I'll have to invoke my bro (the radio/wireless engineer) in VA, since I need a USA address and ID to get on board. He's got a T-mobile account so may be able to get the good pricing too!
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #16

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Bradenton , FL
Peplink MAX Transit Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiller959 View Post
Just wanting some feedback on how everyone has setup their PepLink routers in their trailer's. What carrier did you get your SIM cards from? Have you had any difficulties getting your routers out to install your SIM cards etc. Thanks in advance.
Have you been able to set up your 2023 Pottery Barn router? We are picking up our 2023 PB Airstream next month and I am having trouble finding info on the model that the dealer gave me. Its a Peplink MAX Transit Pro. I have a Verizon hotspot (Jetpack MiFi 8800L) with an unlimited data plan that they don't offer anymore. I don't want to lose that plan, but am curious if anyone knows if I can transfer that SIM to the Airstream Peplink router?
Thanks to anyone who can answer.
emsgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote