Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2020, 03:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Possible Location for Wireless Printer in Classic

Borrowing a photo from another member on the topic of the forward sofa in the late model Classics,

I'm curious to learn if anyone has successfully used the void space in the center lower sofa base as a location for a wifi printer or something similar?

My thinking is that this could work well in a couple of ways; i.e.;

1) Find a wifi printer small enough to fit in the space shown (outlined in red) and of which appears to be spacious enough to do so,

2) Eliminate use of the M/F cabinet latches which hold the upholstered false panel on the lower center front of the sofa and replace with a spring loaded type piano hinge at the base/bottom of the panel secured to the flooring (to which would allow easy access, yet remain otherwise closed when not in use).

3) Connect 110c AC power source via a 110v AC short extension splitter in one of the plugs of the wall receptacle of which is behind the upright sofa back cushions. Wi-fi connect printer to laptop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Printer Location copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	382694
Old 11-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
WiFi Printer Install in Classic M30 Sofa base

Moving forward with what will be a "Nice to Have" vs a "Must Have" project in the form of installing a wifi printer under the sofa in our '18 Classic M30 RQB.

Having measured the void space forward of the large 12v junction box at the bulkhead, the usable opening space is plenty big enough to host a small printer or other items one might choose to use the space for. For this project, I have;

Ordered a NavePoint 1U vented sliding 4 post adjustable 14-16" deep sliding shelve of which arrived yesterday and after a quick fitment check found it to be as near a perfect fit in terms of width that will allow me to direct bolt in to the center frame railings of the sofa base. All I need to do now is find some basic 1/2" L shaped brackets at a Hdwe. store to secure the rear flange post of the the sliding shelve unit on the topside of the sofa floor frame brackets, then I will use a 120v AC 2-outlet power splitter cord plugged into the bulkhead outlet (not normally seen as its behind the sofa), to supply power to the printer.

The printer I'm going with is the Epson Expression Premium XP-6100 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier which measures 13.7" x 13.4" x 5.6" (W x D x H) in the storage position. It is a bottom feed/print media tray and front paper feed tray. Once mounted, the sliding shelve will open outward 8.9" which is plenty enough to insert paper into to the top for scanning or copying while if printing only can be left in its stored position. Really ideal for this subject
application.

I've also ordered a self closing spring loaded piano hinge (12" L x 1-1/4 W) of which I'm planning to install on the backside of the front center upholstered sofa panel at the bottom but may elect to forego such and just continue use of the 3-already supplied cabinet latches which serve to hold the panel in place (since we don't plan to use the printer that frequently, i.e. the nice to have vs. must have.

I plan to photograph the various stages of installation and will be sharing them here in the forum soon. In the meantime, for those with interest, here are some of the details;

Link to sliding shelve unit;
https://navepoint.com/navepoint-1u-v...418.1606134461

Link to Epson WiFi Printer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	AS Sofa Measurements .jpg
Views:	29
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	383935
Old 11-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Done, well almost. Waiting for Amazon to deliver the Epson printer tomorrow but the sliding shelve and 120v AC cord splitter are installed and ready to accept it.

Turned out to be a relatively simple DIY project that will make good use of an otherwise unoccupied void space.

Having already provided the specs on the shelve and the printer, I mounted the shelve using 2"-L brackets which bolt to the shelve slide post and to the center sofa floor frame rails using 1/4" x 1" self-tapping stainless screws.

The finished installation provides 8-1/4" top to bottom clearance between the top of the sliding shelve and the bottom side of the top center plastic cabinet door latch. As well, I have 1" clearance beneath the shelve and the floor which will serve to store additional print paper.

There was/is no interference with the existing wiring to the 12v junction box forward at the back of the sofa base nor the subwoofer or recliner(s) motors/arms, wiring, etc. I was also able to reach back behind the sofa by removing the ventilation cover (between sofa back and wall) on the left side disconnect the recliner, plug in a 120v AC 2-cord splitter, plug the recliner back in and now have a power connection for the to be installed printer.

All good.

Closed with sliding shelve installed.

Name:	No See It.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	383964
Open with sliding shelve extended (holds up to 44 lbs).

Name:	Reveal Extended.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	383965
View of attachment using 2" L-brackets & 1/4-1" self-tapping bolt/screws

Name:	2 in. L brackets.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	383966
Close up of L-bracket attachments

Name:	Close up of angle brackets used.jpg
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	383967
Close Up of mounting location

Name:	Bolt down locations.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	383968

Happy to answer questions.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Great idea. I may have to copy this.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
More Photos

Final install completed...Epson XP-6100 color, wifi connected to hotspot.

Mounting is stable and secure, no need to worry about printer shifting when the trailer is in motion.

Stowed position, can print from here.

Name:	FDEogwu5Qs6Z8%Ze17b1kg.jpg
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	384018

Extended position,

Name:	9%f767l%TK+Qvy%6rXOz0g.jpg
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	384019

Extending provides access to top for scanning or copying

Name:	Mk1MN68jQ1SswHUQuXSA7w.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	384020

Top down viewpoint.

Name:	FeAU7Y0oQW+xFSieLY8ILA.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	384021
Old 11-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Very nice. I was looking on Amazon for that sliding shelf and don't think I found that exact one.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I'm going to have to move my subClick image for larger version

Name:	20201129_140136.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	384026
Old 11-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
Very nice. I was looking on Amazon for that sliding shelf and don't think I found that exact one.
You won't but will find it from here and I highly recommend it. The installation using the 2" L-brackets was super easy and is very secure.

https://navepoint.com/navepoint-1u-v...418.1606134461
Old 11-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
I'm going to have to move my subAttachment 384026
That's odd. In my 2018 Classic M30 the sub came mounted directly to the floor under (facing) the right side of the reclining sofa which would (i suspect) be the same as yours.

In any case, yes, you should be able to move it under the right side and directly mount it to the floor without any conflict with the recliner frame/arms or motion.

Visible here...

Name:	SUBWOOFER.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	384034
Old 11-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Is your subwoofer screwed into the floor? I was thinking about using some double-sided stick tape. I'm a little hesitant to screw things into the floor.

I think I did find it on Amazon and I ordered it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6JR39A..._M4aXFbWFYCYWV

Also I plan to use a different printer so I'll take better measurements once I have my rack installed. I'm not a fan of epson as their printer heads clog way too easily and I don't plan on using the printer enough to keep them from getting clogged.

I've had good luck with HP and I think I'll go with this one. I wish I could find an HP that stored the paper in the front but honestly I won't be using it too much so it won't be that much of a hassle as long as there's room for the rear part to flip up to insert paper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GAIU7HG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Yes; Subwoofer is mounted direct to floor beneath the right side (facing) of the sofa base. That is where Airstream installed it when my Classic was built.

Yes; That is the correct NavePoint 1U sliding shelve unit. (was unaware Amazon offers them).

Caution: You may need to do some further measurements to ensure your HP printer won't make contact with the two cabinet latches of which are mounted on the inside faces of the horizontal frame members otherwise you won't be able to fully extend the shelve outward. I also suspect you will not be able to fully extend the printer paper feed tray due to its height when fully extended. These are all things you can likely find a work-around to make it work.

Looking at the specs of the HP printer; I'd be concerned with the 10.39 height when in the opened (for use) position. The sliding shelving unit is going to use up approx. 3" from the floor to the top of the sliding shelve when mounted to the topsides of the sofa frame channel.

Name:	ZGv+I82bS+Cyo+0vQe2V3g.jpg
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	384061
Have fun. It's a nice little project that adds utility and makes use of an otherwise wasted space.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Thank you for the responses. I might have an issue with the paper feed, I'm hoping the depth of only 5.55" would give it enough clearance when slid out to raise the paper feed.

I haven't ordered any printer yet, after further measurements I'll look more.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I might have an issue with the paper feed, I'm hoping the depth of only 5.55" would give it enough clearance when slid out to raise the paper feed.

I haven't ordered any printer yet, after further measurements I'll look more.
I don't think it will even if you have the printer all the way forward on the shelve when its extended. Chances are the collapsible paper feed tray is angled such that it will no clear the front of the sofa (again, when extended out for use). According to the HP website the Dimensions Maximum (W x D X H) are 15.86" x 17.75" x 10.39" which I interpret as being the dimensions when the printer is fully set up to print, i.e. paper feed tray.

My rough measurement of the shelve extended from the top to the bottom side of the center cabinet hinge is approx. 8-1/2 inches.

Also, you'll lose close to 3" of space between the floor and the top of the shelve unit when installed on top of the sofa's center frame rails. (the shelve will not fit and mount directly to the floor due to its slides and mounting post being slightly wider than the opening between the two frame rails)., Hence why I mounted the shelve on top of the frame rails using the 2" L-brackets.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
My concern with the epson is the printer heads and many reviews on Amazon agree. It sure looks like the perfect size though. I just don't think I'll use it enough to keep them clean.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
My concern with the epson is the printer heads and many reviews on Amazon agree. It sure looks like the perfect size though. I just don't think I'll use it enough to keep them clean.
oh, I'm not saying you need the Epson I went with, only that the particular HP you mentioned may not fit due to its feed tray. Just suggesting you take your own closer measurements and determine what works for you.

I also admit I did not read many reviews on the Epson I purchased so I'll just have to see how it performs.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I think I'm going to go with this one. it's a laser printer so there are no printer heads to get clogged up. a big concern with printer heads is dusty locations which under the Airstream couch would be very dusty. this one does not do color and it doesn't scan but it does fit and honestly if I need to do any more than minor printing I can always go to several locations to get that done. the laser cartridges are about $47 and they'll do a thousand sheets so I'm pretty happy with this I believe. I'm waiting to find it on sale and then I'll make the purchase but I have the install complete other than this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QRKWLX..._NYuYFbYM73VJE
Old 12-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I got the printer delivered today and installed. Fits great and printed first try after I set it up. I want to thank you again rewillia for the idea. I'm retiring from the Army within the next year and will be moving so we will be living in the Airstream for an undetermined amount of time until we purchase a home. No doubt the printer will come in handy and this way it doesn't take up any room nor am I lugging it out of a vehicle every time like last move.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_145422.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	384567Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_145334.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	384568Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_144243.jpeg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	384569