Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Outlook express problem

I keep getting a message" Unsent message in Outbox" whenever I exit Outlook Express. The problem started after I tried to send an email to an invalid address, I deleted it from the outbox but still get the message. Any suggestion on how to stop this??

gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
You really should move away from Outlook Express. It loves to corrupt the mail database (DBX files). Depending on the version, it also has problems when the mail database has reached a large size. You could try searching for the Outbox.dbx file and delete it. It should recreate itself when OE is open and the outbox is called upon.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Westfalia's advice is good: move away from Outlook Express. Do yourself a favor, get an Apple. You'll have a lot less to worry about (the security is much better, to name just one issue) and Apple's designs go a lot better with your Airstream.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
You really should move away from Outlook Express. It loves to corrupt the mail database (DBX files). Depending on the version, it also has problems when the mail database has reached a large size. You could try searching for the Outbox.dbx file and delete it. It should recreate itself when OE is open and the outbox is called upon.
I agree with this post try to delete outbox.dbx. You may have to enable viewing of hidden files/folders to find it (folder options, view tab).

If you do choose to ditch OE, Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I agree with all earlier post but just in case your not ready to spring for a Apple, Opera browser has a pretty good mail program built in.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Westfalia's advice is good: move away from Outlook Express. Do yourself a favor, get an Apple. You'll have a lot less to worry about (the security is much better, to name just one issue) and Apple's designs go a lot better with your Airstream.
I'm not sure a malfunctioning copy of Outlook Express is a reason to ditch the entire PC and buy a Mac! But I shall resist being tempted into Mac wars and simply agree that using OE will be a problem because Microsoft no longer support it. There are plenty of free mail packages out there, just browse around.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
A year ago we went to new laptops with Windows 7 Pro, which does not have a mail program. We started using Windows Live Mail. It is somewhat different from OE, and took some getting used to, however, it can be made to look somewhat like OE.

I miss OE as with it I was able to make very fancy e-mails with background music. Haven't found a way to do that with WLM.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Since we're on topic of Windows OS here, let me plug a good, free antivirus program:

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

If you're paying for Norton, etc. give this a look. IMO its better and its free.

If you do choose to install it, uninstall previous AV program first. You don't want multiple AV programs running.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I was going to put in my 2 cents worth on the MAC security and go Apple mentioned above but I think I will keep my 2 cents. I would not purchase a new computer just because the short comings of OE. There are lots of free e-mail programs out there as already mentioned. As far as Microsoft Security Essentials - I put it on my laptop and my itunes and google earth stopped working. I removed only security essentials and everything worked again. Maybe after a while they will have it perfected. I have used ALVIRA for a year on a Windows Vista laptop and is still working fine. There are lots of free security software out there too. There are also - you think free - until you install them. So BEWARE.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote