Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
@pdavey: I am the original poster, and as you might have seen I installed the antenna with two 6ft cables, basically my new 7-way MIMO plugs into the pre-wired 5-way MIMO because I couldn't get the pre-wired cable to move through the ribs. I agree that I'd rather have a much shorter antenna cable, can you explain your process?

I have not yet broken into the factory installed wiring. I want to know what I'm doing before I breach that seal. I have the 7 way, how did you connect the 7way to the factory installed 5 way? Were there unused wires from the 7 way?
Yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #42
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlangut View Post
This is our first idea for installation - we planned to put the router is right there (with the DVD player). We don't use the radio per se (just with bluetooth). How hard was it to route the cable from the old radio antenna location? I fished around a little and it *seems* fairly easy once we have a hole big enough.
Not hard at all. I did run a snake with a string to make it easier.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavey View Post
Not hard at all. I did run a snake with a string to make it easier.
Thanks for that - our next concern is that it's "too close" to the Fantastic Fan.
rmlangut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #44
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Not at all the antenna is set back on the rear curve of the unit.

I even have a max air ii cover over the fantastic fan and there is room to spare.

There is a rib between the fantastic fan and the back of the unit.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
Quote:
Not at all the antenna is set back on the rear curve of the unit.

I even have a max air ii cover over the fantastic fan and there is room to spare.

There is a rib between the fantastic fan and the back of the unit.
I think the "too close" being interference from the motor of the fantastic fan. I estimate that it's maybe 1' away on our 26' FC. I just got up on a step ladder from a distance to look - didn't pull the ladder out yet. And this is only a guess from what another poster said. I'll consult with MobileMustHave, but this method sure seems so much easier/convenient than behind the fridge for us - which would put the router in a place that we currently use for other kitchen-y things.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #46
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
I have notice no interference from the fantastic fan.

Mine is 12 inches from the frame and 19 inches away from the motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_142245.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	399407Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_142258.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	399408
Old 07-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
I had to go back to my notes from MobileMustHave after looking at your photos - the MobileMark is smaller than I thought. She had said 10" around, which I mistakenly interpreted to be diameter, but it's obviously smaller - docs say only 5.5, that makes a difference. Thank you, I really appreciate your photos.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
Quote:
I have notice no interference from the fantastic fan.

Mine is 12 inches from the frame and 19 inches away from the motor.

Attachment 399407Attachment 399408
How did you install the MobileMark? It looks like installation is with a nut from the underside, which there's no way to get at using the old antenna spot. I'm just looking at the installation from MobileMark, so maybe there is an alternative install?
Old 07-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #49
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlangut View Post
How did you install the MobileMark? It looks like installation is with a nut from the underside, which there's no way to get at using the old antenna spot. I'm just looking at the installation from MobileMark, so maybe there is an alternative install?
I drilled a 2 inch hole internally and then used a plug to cover it like they do in other access holes in the Airstream.

I also have a weboost and I have that covering the hole cover with the added benefit that it will feed the antenna. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210126_134555.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	399423Click image for larger version

Name:	20210126_134540.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	399424Click image for larger version

Name:	20210126_134223.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	399425
Old 07-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
Ah, that answers it!

--Robin
Old 07-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Alpine , Utah
Thanks for the help! We got it all installed on Saturday except for adding a switch, which my husband is doing right now. Most stressful part was getting the cables routed from the hole to the cabinet - took a few tries a few different way to get that bundle in the hole and through. We put a grommet into the larger hole. Working great with our testing so far, can't wait for a real "work" trip to fully utilize it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64884571977__6251B7B7-BC73-466F-A930-119524578FA4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	400400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7848.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	400401  

Name:	64884989925__17328038-03AE-4649-B85A-E30C589342FB.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	400402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7857.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	400403  

Old 11-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I installed my 7-1 poynting antenna last night. I used the existing 5-1 pre-wired coax to pull the the 7-1 Poynting directly into the wardrobe up front. As I pulled wires 4 & 5, I taped the additional 6th & 7th wire to each pulling two at a time, rather than just one. You need to use wire lube! The first wire was tough, each wire thereafter became easier and easier.
I mounted the Poynting with the short threaded shaft installed, my only concern is the possibility of the wires contacting the backside of the ceiling skin and wearing through over time. I’m tempted to remove the antenna to remove the threaded stud all together. Does anyone know if I can purchase a replacement stock mounting pad that came with the Poynting?
Old 11-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Following another post on wifi/cell connection options here also, but am still confused as to why there are so many variants on cost/installation? We have been using our cell phones as hot spots to host our wifi and streaming needs when camped, assuming we at least have one bar signal. Would like to increase the cell signal, but most of the time, 1-2 bars gets the job done. (assuming I have 1-2 bars.) Still would like to increase signal strength for phone, streaming and wifi use if possible...question is still...which approach and why? (here is the other post): https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ed-229354.html

I see several folks on the other Forum post using a fiberglass telescoping pole mounted with Velcro or some other mounting means that also uses a directional antenna, all from Weboost. Seems they use the 'outside antenna cable connection' to bring the signal inside, and then connect to the inside units included, mounting above dinette or nearby inside cable connection under dinette? Also, there are apps to help find the strongest direction of the signal, assuming you have signal. I had heard from several "experts" that the "omni" type antennas are not as good and mounting in one location on your AS roof is not recommended for "best signal" reception vs the "directional" type antenna and the higher telescoping pole?

What is the difference in quality, signal reception, and overall usefulness while on the road with this Weboost Destination RV 470159 Bundle at $649?? I watched the video at this website, and again, read the posts on the other site here on the Forum; very confusing...if you don't have a signal at all, seems neither will work....and the costs seem can be double in the installations recommended in this thread vs the other? Appreciate the responses.

https://www.weboost.com/products/destination-rv
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yes Poynting sent me another one when I had to replace the roof for hail damage. Just email them.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
This is like asking what is the best hitch.

I think you need to split your approach in two parts:

- do you want signal for calls?
- do you want signal for data?

Calls: WeBoost is the best solution.

Data: the question here is how much data do you want? Send emails and browse Vs. Streaming Netflix, security systems, video calls, etc.

If you always stay in campgrounds you can get a wifi dongle for $50 and be done with it.

If you boondocks all the time and need a lot of data, then you’re looking at a strong MIMO antenna, multiple data plans bundled by a modem into a strong wifi signal. A system like that costs you $1500 without the install, and $300 a month. (That would be the system from my first post on this thread)
Old 11-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
This is like asking what is the best hitch.

I think you need to split your approach in two parts:

- do you want signal for calls?
- do you want signal for data?

Calls: WeBoost is the best solution.

Data: the question here is how much data do you want? Send emails and browse Vs. Streaming Netflix, security systems, video calls, etc.

If you always stay in campgrounds you can get a wifi dongle for $50 and be done with it.

If you boondocks all the time and need a lot of data, then you’re looking at a strong MIMO antenna, multiple data plans bundled by a modem into a strong wifi signal. A system like that costs you $1500 without the install, and $300 a month. (That would be the system from my first post on this thread)
Understand the comparison to "which hitch", or TV, but really, your suggesting this topic is subjective? Not so sure...it's "all" about the signal, right?

When we get a "week signal" while camping of say, 1-2 bars, I can still most always, make/receive calls and send/receive emails. I can typically also stream movies, do emails, and do business on the internet most all the time. You make it sound as though it's one or the other without the more expensive systems designed for signal acquisition; I am not clear why? The directional antenna on an extension pole above the AS, pointed at the direction of the signal seems to offer a better signal acquisition option; not sure why the "other devices/system's" mentioned, would be a better choice? The users plan plays a big roll in data costs, right? If you can use your phone for a hotspot and acquire a decent signal, the limiting factor is your data costs...my ATT plan is unlimited for data and has not been an issue for us. I am sure there are other plans if your conducting business and need more data, but in the end, it still is about signal acquisition? I only mention the Weboost Destination RV 470159 Bundle at $649, I am considering, because it seems to be reasonably priced and lots of good references on this style/package. Truely, just trying to understand the difference's before spending the bucks, if there are any.

I understand people have "favorites" here; but technically, seems to me it's not the "brand" so much as it is technology? An antenna mounted on an adjustable pole, which you can "point" toward the signal for better reception is the way to go, from what I am reading. The "omni" fixed antenna on top of the AS is not as efficient nor consistent in acquiring the signal, is what I am understanding. There seem to be several other brand choice/options to the Weboost that provide the same type signal acquisition antenna. I may have to just get pick one and see for myself... Just to be clear, I don't see the difference: data acquisition or cell service, as being a limiting factor, if have a strong cell signal. You still get a strong wifi in my experience.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Gypsydad: I think we are talking about different scenarios. As long as your phone or dongle has signal it doesn’t really matter. Each one of your devices simply use their own cell plan or your create a personal hotspot.

Next step up is a router that can create one wifi signal for all your gadgets. Then you can have your laptop, smart TVs, wifi thermostats etc use that wifi network you created.

And then finally, and this is where I operate in, is camping in places where your phone has absolutely zero signal. That is where the roof mounted MIMO antennas start being handy. Obviously if you want to take it further you can also use a pole and have the antenna mounted on it, but I hear the extra 4 foot don’t make much of a difference.

I agree with you it is not an opinion, but more what you need the equipment to do based on where you camp.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Covington , LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yologals View Post
I have not yet broken into the factory installed wiring. I want to know what I'm doing before I breach that seal. I have the 7 way, how did you connect the 7way to the factory installed 5 way? Were there unused wires from the 7 way?

You only have 5 cables from the factory. 2 cellular, 2 WiFi and one gps. This leaves two cellulars from the antenna unused, just tape up the ends. Inside, attach the two cellular, one gps and one WiFi. On the remaining two cellular connections on the modem use the included blade antennas. On one WiFi connection use a blade. This will give you better WiFi inside of the trailer.
BF_Brewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Gypsydad: I think we are talking about different scenarios. As long as your phone or dongle has signal it doesn’t really matter. Each one of your devices simply use their own cell plan or your create a personal hotspot.

Next step up is a router that can create one wifi signal for all your gadgets. Then you can have your laptop, smart TVs, wifi thermostats etc use that wifi network you created.

And then finally, and this is where I operate in, is camping in places where your phone has absolutely zero signal. That is where the roof mounted MIMO antennas start being handy. Obviously if you want to take it further you can also use a pole and have the antenna mounted on it, but I hear the extra 4 foot don’t make much of a difference.

I agree with you it is not an opinion, but more what you need the equipment to do based on where you camp.
Thanks for that. If your using a "router" with it's own plan and phone number, is not that redundant to your primary phone plan which in my case, is unlimited data? Weather you use MIMO antenna mounted on your AS or directional antenna on a pole, achieving connection with a wireless carrier is mandatory, correct? (this is where I am having trouble) I believe I understand the MIMO technology advantage, Beamforming, etc in acquiring a stronger signal, from my hi-tech days working with TI Nokia, and Qualcomm. Basically your saying your MIMO fixed antenna is able to find and lock on to a signal and provide a stronger connection, where a cell phone may not see a signal? Is that the main difference? Wondering why you could not just use your cell plan with this equipment to do the same? Why do you need a separate router and plan? (or do you?) OK- separate router allows multiple devices..but again, since I can use my phone as a "hotspot" and connect my computer, stream, and my wife can also log in, seems a single hotspot with MIMO antenna should work?

Thinking of cost of separate plans vs one plan/one source of input...
Old 11-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yes and no:

- how would you exactly use your current phone plan and increase the antenna range/power to something similar than a roof mounted MIMO antenna? I haven’t heard of huge antennas that plug into your iPhone for example

- redundancy is exactly what you want: I have Verizon and ATT SIM cards in my router. It gives me a constant live-view which signal is stronger, and I can even bundle the two signals up to create a stronger wifi signal. When boondocking I find that usually only one works.

- finally: I have a long list of devices that all connect to the same wifi, if I had to create a hotspot for all of them through my phone it just wouldn’t work. I consume around 350GB a month, so any standard phone plan doesn’t offer that anyways.

It might help to point out that I work remotely and have the following devices running the whole time, so this might justify my need for such a setup:

- personal phone (I have T-Mobile which is useless in rural areas)
- laptop
- 2 x Apple TV’s
- wifi Thermometer (for when I have to leave the dog in the Airstream)
- security camera
- the wifi signal is so strong I use it in the car when towing
- Fusion radio connected to airplay