Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I was a long-time AT&T subscriber then switched to Verizon. I left Verizon in 2014 and have been with T-Mobile since (except for AT&T with my Airstream Connected). T-Mobile has been great and their coverage is steadily increasing. I will say T-Mobile customer service is really great.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, with a good 3 bars, I pull 27.1 Mbps down and 14.7 Mbps up (iPhone XS Max). I have an unlimited plan. Checked just now...

Something else occured to me. Anyone crack the code on turning a iPhone or other device into a tethered ISP where you connect an RJ45 wired connection (back to a router) and then distribute as a hotspot?

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Just and FYI, if you want to find out how much data you are using DO NOT use the link in the informational materials in the email from Airstream. You won't be able to sign up on that website, I know this after 3 hours on the phone with AT&T.

Use this website att.com/buyasession.

Since July 1 last year I've used 500gb camping 65 nights. I do use Roku for my television viewing.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
from as site
https://www.airstream.com/blog/an-up...tt-data-plans/
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Just and FYI, if you want to find out how much data you are using DO NOT use the link in the informational materials in the email from Airstream. You won't be able to sign up on that website, I know this after 3 hours on the phone with AT&T.

Use this website att.com/buyasession.

Since July 1 last year I've used 500gb camping 65 nights. I do use Roku for my television viewing.

Good reminder! I used about the same...
Old 12-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
We just purchased a new FC but have not yet picked it up. It's still at the dealer for installation of some optional equipment including the AT&T Airstream Connected hardware. I called and they have not yet installed the AS AT&T hardware, and they are willing to refund the purchase price.

We are strongly leaning towards cancelling the installation. Any compelling reasons not to do so?

Thanks!
DotsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #26
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Tex, no downside. There is no direct integration of the system to your trailer like there is with the late model Classics. Many other alternatives out there which may have a better hardware/capability fit for you. Only upside is that you could still get the current AT&T plan if you signup before Jan 20th, at least I think that is the drop dead day.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by texduck88 View Post
We are strongly leaning towards cancelling the installation. Any compelling reasons not to do so?
I think if you hold out hope that a very large corporate entity will do the right thing then you should go ahead with your install.

Otherwise, no. (I canceled mine)

You can always get it installed later if things change. And there are plenty of other options for getting online.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
Thanks for the feedback. We just emailed the dealer and cancelled the installation.

Mark
DotsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just received an email from Justin Humphreys. He apologized to me for the change. He said they were in talks with AT&T, but that the data rates used were unsustainable.

I've sent another email to Justin about a new plan, not with current providers like AT&T or Verizon, but with Starlink.

Starlink is Elon Musks startup to provide internet coverage to the entire world. They currently have launched 2 batches of 64 satellites into space and the network is actually running now. SpaceX has been granted government permission to launch a total of 42,000 satellites. His Starship rocket can carry 450 satellites in one launch. Coverage in the united states will begin in 2020.

This would be low-level satellites with the lowest latency and highest coverage of any current provider. All this at a lower cost.

https://www.starlink.com/

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

Starlink is Elon Musks startup to provide internet coverage to the entire world. They currently have launched 2 batches of 64 satellites into space and the network is actually running now. SpaceX has been granted government permission to launch a total of 42,000 satellites. His Starship rocket can carry 450 satellites in one launch. Coverage in the united states will begin in 2020.

This would be low-level satellites with the lowest latency and highest coverage of any current provider. All this at a lower cost.

https://www.starlink.com/
Hi

Have they actually published any pricing yet?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
No pricing yet...

https://broadbandnow.com/Starlink
Old 12-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I can't wait for AT&T to ask Elon for bandwidth on spaceX satellites. He will tell them to launch their own satellites!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
The specs on the 2020 Interstate read "Connected 5G Antenna - Pre-Wired for Connected Service.

Anybody know if this still hardware that's locked into AT&T or if it's open to any provider?
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Tex, no downside. There is no direct integration of the system to your trailer like there is with the late model Classics. Many other alternatives out there which may have a better hardware/capability fit for you. Only upside is that you could still get the current AT&T plan if you signup before Jan 20th, at least I think that is the drop dead day.
Our plan was due to expire on Jan. 26. The wife went online and it let us renew it for another 12 months with unlimited data at $360.00.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
No more "unlimited" on the ATT plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Does Starlink have frequency spectrum? Each cellular vendor needs their own frequency spectrum in the cellular bands. Otherwise they have to lease it from another vendor. I think the last available spectrum was auctioned off by the FCC several years ago.

Steve

I think his plan initially was to use his sat network to provide a low latency backbone service and sell THAT connectivity to the cellular providers to interconnect their towers.

Think about that. They could then put towers pretty much anywhere. OneWeb also working in this space. (See what I did there...)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have T-Mobile and found during our upper Midwest trip (Washington to Michigan via the Dakota's) coverage was sketchy at best. Their coverage map is a joke. Most of time we were forced into roaming mode, a service they cap at 2G speeds and limit data to uselessly small amount per month, a limit I reach within a few days each month just checking email.

When you actually find a T-Mobile tower and get 4G it's great, but its almost never at a campsite.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
Our plan was due to expire on Jan. 26. The wife went online and it let us renew it for another 12 months with unlimited data at $360.00.
Hi

AT&T has been on again / off again about unlimited plans over the years. They turn them on and then a few years later they turn them off. In the past, we have hung on to our unlimited plan for many years after it "went away". They happily kept taking our money each month and providing service. No idea what will actually happen this time .....

Indeed, once they said the plan was gone, you could not sign up for it as a new customer. They did cut that off on the dates they listed. No amount of begging would change that part of it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #38
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
This is why when Congress was debating “Net Neutrality” we the people should have mobilized against the Cellular Industry through our representatives. There is no longer any “Unlimited Data Plans” offered by any of the cellular providers. This is false advertising at its worst. I would like to know how much of a profit percentage Airstream Inc receives as a result of Airstream owners activating the service with ATT and Airstream Inc included modem? What a SCAM!!!!!! I foresee a class action civil action on the horizon.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Well, maybe all. I just started service with Altice Mobile because I am a Suddenlink customer. This is their restriction: The "Unlimited" data option provides unlimited data usage at a regular monthly rate per line (promotional rates may vary). Speeds for video streaming over LTE and hotspot tethering will be reduced to 2G (e.g., 128 Kbps) after 50 gigabytes (GB) of data usage in a month for the remainder of the billing period after the allotment is exceeded. Subject to this allotment policy, use of your device as a WiFi hotspot will be unlimited at 600 Kbps speeds, and streaming video will be at DVD quality (480p).
50GB in a month is not really a restriction for me so I consider my plan to be unlimited. Since I have only been on this plan for 2 months, I am not in a position to reflect on the coverage where I go camping. But the ONSTAR minutes in my truck have almost always seemed to be effective.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Just signed up for unlimited AT&T data via OnStar on my GMC Yukon. Wonder why AT&T will do it there.. but not here?
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote