Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
No more "unlimited" on the ATT plans...

https://www.airstream.com/blog/an-up...tt-data-plans/
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
This sucks. AT&T sucker is into Airstream Connected and now we get Rick-rolled into this plan change.

Hope I can toss out my AT&T SIM card and use a different provider.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
This sucks. AT&T sucker is into Airstream Connected and now we get Rick-rolled into this plan change.

Hope I can toss out my AT&T SIM card and use a different provider.
I don't know about the 2020 since it is a different modem, but in the 2019, you have to reset the modem as the provider is one of the settings. Sprint, Verizon, and ATT are supported in a Cat 4 modem. I believe the new Cat 6 modem adds T-mobile and others, but you may still have to "jail-break" it (in which case, you lose official support of Airstream.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I just got an email blast message from Airstream with information on the change and new rates. Watch your email. New rates, at least for now, when you expire will be
  • 1 Month 5GB Adventure Plan - $25
  • 1 Month 22GB Adventure Plan - $90
  • 1 Month 50GB Adventure Plan - $175
  • 1 Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $300
  • 12-Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $325
After Jan 15th 2020 any new purchasers will be able to get the $325 plan and Airstream will reimburse for the first year.

Airstream was clearly on top of this issue and the is the best email blast and timely information I've ever seen. Nice job Airstream.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
I just got an email blast message from Airstream with information on the change and new rates. Watch your email. New rates, at least for now, when you expire will be
After Jan 15th 2020 any new purchasers will be able to get the $325 plan and Airstream will reimburse for the first year.

Airstream was clearly on top of this issue and the is the best email blast and timely information I've ever seen. Nice job Airstream.
I have no complaints about Airstreams handling of this. They are pretty much at the mercy of whatever they can negotiate with ATT. I'd say the unlimited deal was good while it lasted, but I couldn't see how ATT could continue it.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I do fault Airstream. They should have negotiated terms for the LOCKED HARDWARE product they sold to their client’s dad been clear about when the term might end.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post

Are you kidding me? To go from unlimited data to 8.3 gig per month? For almost the same money? That is being on top of things? Airstream wasn't even part of this negotiation. They got blindsided. There are much better plans out there than this. Skip the AT&T plans and let's take a look at other plans and compare.

What happens if I use all of the 12-Month 100GB Adventure Data plan before a year passes?
If you to use 100GB before the 12 month period ends, you'll need to sign up for another plan that could be the same option or another option from the monthly data plans. This plan ends with by either reaching 100GB of used data or 12 months from the start of service.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
My Airstream is at Jackson Center right now. One of the upgrades planned for it was an install of Airstream Connect. 90% of my interest in the system was the unlimited plan.

Anyone else in this situation—Connect install on deck, then this news? I suppose I knew this day would come (it has for every unlimited plan on any carrier since the dawn of unlimited plans), but I’m definitely waffling on the install now.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Nyrn - my thoughts:

I have a trip to the factory scheduled for June and this was one of the items I wanted done. No way now. The value as far as I could tell was basically $30/mo unlimited/unthrottled data - the plans they offer now are through the roof. And I hate the “house always wins” bad faith to not even be decent enough to grandfather those who went all in first at great expense.

Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It never pays to expect something for nothing....if that was your motivation, live without it. If you need it, then pay for it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
In looking for a solution, I think this might work:

https://www.thervitguy.com/product/xr2-beacon/

We can use the existing MiMo antenna, bypass the PepLink router and use the antenna connections to plug into this xr2-beacon. While $95 a month isn't cheap, it beats the thousands of dollars AT&T/Airstream will charge if you are going through 100GB per month like me. I live full-time in my rig and need an option.

Turk... Any thoughts on this? I'm going to call these guys and strike up a conversation.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
My Airstream is at Jackson Center right now. One of the upgrades planned for it was an install of Airstream Connect. 90% of my interest in the system was the unlimited plan.

Anyone else in this situation—Connect install on deck, then this news? I suppose I knew this day would come (it has for every unlimited plan on any carrier since the dawn of unlimited plans), but I’m definitely waffling on the install now.

Thoughts?

I certainly bought Connected for the plan. I would have gone another route otherwise.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
It never pays to expect something for nothing....if that was your motivation, live without it. If you need it, then pay for it.

Larry

We didn’t expect to pay “nothing”. We paid quite a lot actually for the equipment and install!

What we expected was that Airstream and AT&T would have the plan in place for more than a single year, depending on when you bought the system.

It was a great deal on data and we did pay for it.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Thoughts?
If I were you, I'd hold off on the Airstream Connected install. Simply not worth it. You can definitely get the same roof mounted antenna and install your own. I'll share what I find out about the inquiry I'll make today with thervitguy.com and share here.

Turk123 has a posting where you can buy the same excellent roof mounted MiMo antenna, but other than that, you may consider bypassing the Airstream version now that AT&T strikes again.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
No more "unlimited" on the ATT plans...

Quote:

We can use the existing MiMo antenna, bypass the PepLink router and use the antenna connections to plug into this xr2-beacon. While $95 a month isn't cheap, it beats the thousands of dollars AT&T/Airstream will charge if you are going through 100GB per month like me. I live full-time in my rig and need an option.

Turk... Any thoughts on this? I'm going to call these guys and strike up a conversation.

Interesting for sure. Nice find! I did a little digging....

While I don’t need the support this option offers, I did want to know where the data plan comes from... so I chatted with them online.

“Our beacons use the nationwide GSM cellular network to deliver a private, secure, mobile WiFi signal. Our primary commercial carrier agreement is with T-mobile, with failover in some areas to other regional GSM providers. You can check out our coverage map at https://www.theRVITguy.com/coverage-map to get a sense for where we can deliver a connection.”

So - TMobile cellular plan is at least one of the choices. Will have to think on that as I have zero experience with them.

Anyone have experience with TMobile cellular data plans, service and signal?

Decent FAQ’s on the site....

Speed limited to 10Mbps in both directions. This would actually probably work for me..

“Our service doesn't throttle down your internet speeds based on your usage like many of the plans from other carriers. Plus, your first 50GB every month (22 GB on our Alternative network) get first priority should you encounter network congestion on your local cell tower.”

You can select the carrier when purchasing.

Device has Ethernet port for external device connection. I would connect my “second router” into it...

The box itself is leased which is interesting... it breaks they send another.

They have a 12v power adapters available for $19. But the device also has an internal battery that works for 8 hours.

The device will work with a Weboost 4G.

Their “support staff“ is staffed by other RV folks.. hmmm

Should we start an Airstream only Internet and General help line?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I've emailed JC and told them to hold off on the Connect install. I also told them why.

To be fair, I've been waffling on it for a long time. I worked in high tech for a long time, have a fiber connection in places that I stay most of the time, and one of the best things about my summer trip to Alaska was being disconnected. Phones and hotspot are pretty sufficient.

Maybe I should start a service for recovering technophiles. $360/yr for unlimited disconnect! I promise 100% downtime. Who's in?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:

I have not checked out this one yet but beware, there are plans out there that are negotiated with carriers that can run into the same problem that Airstream ran into. Some are actually breaking their agreements right out of the gate. Not saying this one is, just know of others doing this.

I will look into it also.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
I've emailed JC and told them to hold off on the Connect install. I also told them why.

To be fair, I've been waffling on it for a long time. I worked in high tech for a long time, have a fiber connection in places that I stay most of the time, and one of the best things about my summer trip to Alaska was being disconnected. Phones and hotspot are pretty sufficient.

Maybe I should start a service for recovering technophiles. $360/yr for unlimited disconnect! I promise 100% downtime. Who's in?

I would be in! But I then also need to be able to supplement the income I generate by sending 1’s and 0’s over the interweb in the correct order...
Old 12-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
So - T Mobile cellular plan is at least one of the choices. Will have to think on that as I have zero experience with them.

Anyone have experience with TMobile cellular data plans, service and signal?
I was a long-time AT&T subscriber then switched to Verizon. I left Verizon in 2014 and have been with T-Mobile since (except for AT&T with my Airstream Connected). T-Mobile has been great and their coverage is steadily increasing. I will say T-Mobile customer service is really great.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, with a good 3 bars, I pull 27.1 Mbps down and 14.7 Mbps up (iPhone XS Max). I have an unlimited plan. Checked just now...

Something else occured to me. Anyone crack the code on turning a iPhone or other device into a tethered ISP where you connect an RJ45 wired connection (back to a router) and then distribute as a hotspot?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
it never pays to expect something for nothing....if that was your motivation, live without it. If you need it, then pay for it.

Larry

exactly!!!!!
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote