RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
This is why when Congress was debating “Net Neutrality” we the people should have mobilized against the Cellular Industry through our representatives. There is no longer any “Unlimited Data Plans” offered by any of the cellular providers. This is false advertising at its worst. I would like to know how much of a profit percentage Airstream Inc receives as a result of Airstream owners activating the service with ATT and Airstream Inc included modem? What a SCAM!!!!!! I foresee a class action civil action on the horizon.
As the owner of a WISP, I can tell you that comments like this come from people who have absolutely no clue how wireless bandwidth works. There is no free lunch. You do the math. If a 4K video stream takes up a certain amount of bandwidth, then you multiply that by the number of people on any particular network at any particular time, you quickly see that you not only exceed the networks capability, but you exceed any possible ability to service anyone with any sort of reliability.

The networks work by reselling the same bandwidth over and over. ONLY by reselling the bandwidth and depending on the fact that ALL the users will never be on at the same time can you make it affordable.

I get customers all the time that claim "unlimited" means as much as they want, as fast as they want, whenever they want it. Nope. It has never worked like that and never will. If you successfully force someone to provide that, then you have effectively put them out of business and you get nothing.

I serve "last mile" installations and customers want Cable like speeds with absolutely NO limitations on it. I always tell them that I can provide that to them, but they won't like the price. Each tower costs about $35,000 minimum to install. Then you have to add the cost of the full time tech to maintain those towers. Then you have to add the cost of the physical maintenance of those same towers. And all of that is before I have purchased the Internet in a population center and piped it over those towers. Sure, I can deliver you 100Mb/s speed that is dedicated solely to you, but you are going to literally pay thousands of dollars per month to have that. How much better it is to not try to claim "unlimited" means all that you think it does and then everybody gets some.

"unlimited" just means you never get turned off like the cell companies used to when you hit the maximum. Now they just slow you down. I think AT&T has gone overboard on pulling back on what they offered, but there have been discussions on this board since the program's inception on how unsustainable that promise was. This is just a heavy dose of reality. Get use to it. Life is real. There is no free lunch.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ephraim - I accept what you say at face value as Iím not in the business and you are.

This makes me TWICE as angry with AT&T. If YOU know thereís no free lunch here, surely THEY knew there was no free lunch here - but the vast majority of consumers wouldnít know that. To offer a deal they KNEW they couldnít keep sounds eerily close to fraudulent bad faith to sucker well meaning people out of their hard earned money.

I have a trip scheduled to the factory in which I was going to shell out for the expensive hardware to get the long term inexpensive service. Iím glad to know itís a pipe dream now but very sorry for those who got in under the same false expectations to have the rug pulled out from under them.

They HAD to know better.

If they wonít grandfather current buyers, they should at a minimum offer to repurchase the hardware and pay for the deinstallation.

You pretty much just PROVED they had to know their deal was a fraud from the start....

Ugh....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Thanks for sharing. I missed this but did get similar info on another thread.

One question: how can the Smart Connect work without a data connection? It needs either a cellular or WiFi connection to transmit data.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
In looking for a solution, I think this might work:

https://www.thervitguy.com/product/xr2-beacon/

We can use the existing MiMo antenna, bypass the PepLink router and use the antenna connections to plug into this xr2-beacon. While $95 a month isn't cheap, it beats the thousands of dollars AT&T/Airstream will charge if you are going through 100GB per month like me. I live full-time in my rig and need an option.

Turk... Any thoughts on this? I'm going to call these guys and strike up a conversation.

There are many options out there - too many actually. One of the better sites to help navigate the options:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ephraim - I accept what you say at face value as Iím not in the business and you are.

This makes me TWICE as angry with AT&T. If YOU know thereís no free lunch here, surely THEY knew there was no free lunch here - but the vast majority of consumers wouldnít know that. To offer a deal they KNEW they couldnít keep sounds eerily close to fraudulent bad faith to sucker well meaning people out of their hard earned money.

I have a trip scheduled to the factory in which I was going to shell out for the expensive hardware to get the long term inexpensive service. Iím glad to know itís a pipe dream now but very sorry for those who got in under the same false expectations to have the rug pulled out from under them.

They HAD to know better.

If they wonít grandfather current buyers, they should at a minimum offer to repurchase the hardware and pay for the deinstallation.

You pretty much just PROVED they had to know their deal was a fraud from the start....

Ugh....
You are still thinking in terms of "unlimited" as being unlimited in every aspect. If they don't shut your account off so that it has ZERO data flow, it is still considered an unlimited account. What we are working with at this time is Airstream's interpretation of whatever AT&T has stated. AT&T has still not communicated directly with me over any change they are making. My "unlimited" data account is not with Airstream. It's with AT&T. I will be contacting them after Christmas to get information, but I'm not hopeful on that front. When I signed up for the account, the service people were completely unaware that the account we are all using even existed. These companies get so big that the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing.

In my head, I have this imaginary conversation going on between the marketing people where they told their bosses "think of all the accounts we can lock in over this deal!" while the engineering department yells "You did what!?!" when they found out about it.

AT&T can change their plan whenever they want and there is no customer who wields enough power to keep them from doing so.

Ultimately, Airstream made a bad decision in using locked hardware to run Internet as well as their "smart" stuff. They should have separated those two things so that all that was needed was a generic Internet connection. If nothing changes right now, your "smart" connection will still work because it uses that second simm and virtually no data. But people will not use the Internet portion unless AT&T gives a plan more in line with what the rest of the industry is doing. If you don't want an extra antenna on your Airstream, you'll simply swipe the antenna ports from the peplink and the "smart" control will be dead. We need Internet more than we need remote control/monitoring.

In the end, it's a simple matter to yank out the peplink and install $200 worth of parts/routers/modems and do your own Internet with whomever you choose. A Cat 4 modem costs about $120 and a Cat6 modem is around $250 if you look at some of the imports.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Every "unlimited" plan I have *ever* bought came with fine print. If you don't read the fine print, that's ok. However it *is* where they detail just what they will or will not be delivering to you. I also have never / ever seen a plan that claims to be "unlimited in all respects".

Back when I was doing this sort of thing, a dedicated ( = guaranteed bandwidth) link at 100 Mb/s (like 155.52 but that's a different issue) would have had a yearly cost roughly the same as a fairly nice new Airstream ....

I've had various AT&T "unlimited" plans for a couple decades at this point. I've also had similar plans with other carriers. They are no worse / usually better than the others I have tried.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Airstream made a bad decision in using locked hardware to run Internet as well as their "smart" stuff.
My understanding is that the Peplink router installed in our Airstreams are unlocked. Is this not the case?
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:51 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Assuming the Peplink routers are in fact unlocked, I may have found another option once my AT&T subscription runs dry in August.

https://www.otrmobile.com/

They claim $60/month unlimited, unthrottled...
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Looks very good if you need continuous service but for those of us who do not travel all year, it gets expensive quickly. First you pay $100 for a SIM card since you cannot use your existing card. Then, if you do not renew before your service expires, it looks like you pay that all over again to reactivate service, possibly just the $30 on top of the $60, hard to tell from their stuff. In the end, it seems to cost $100 a month if you just need it less than continuous.
I pay $25 for 5GB through a third party service on the ATT network. That is plenty for email, etc. but not streaming TV.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
My understanding is that the Peplink router installed in our Airstreams are unlocked. Is this not the case?
The modem is locked because Airstream owns the maintenance contract and they have purchased the optional WiFi Wan option which is normally an extra $100. (I'm sure they got a much better price because of volume).

You can unlock it by resetting it to factory defaults, but then you lose the connectivity to their smart app and you lose the WiFi Wan option (which most of us have turned off anyway due to issues with Peplink's firmware). You also find yourself in limbo regarding support. Airstream will no longer support the device since you modified it, but they won't turn loose of the support contract so you cant use Peplink's online support and licensing. You are much better off just pulling the modem and storing it. Purchase another LTE modem of your choice to replace it. That way, you can always go back to the factory config if you need to. LTE modems are not that expensive.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Assuming the Peplink routers are in fact unlocked, I may have found another option once my AT&T subscription runs dry in August.

https://www.otrmobile.com/

They claim $60/month unlimited, unthrottled...
I'm going to suggest that this may be dangerous. If you read the website, OTRmobile uses AT&T for it's "unlimited" data plan. Granted, it's $60/month rather than $30/month like the Airstream, but who knows, it's AT&T
Old 12-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Munford , Tennessee
What about Travel Data? This is another possibility recommended by RVMobileInternet. $49/month unlimited and you can pause up to 9 months. Seems like a good possibility for part timers BUT I can't find any reviews. It appears to also be AT&T service.

Does anyone know about TravelData?
RV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I can't wait for AT&T to ask Elon for bandwidth on spaceX satellites. He will tell them to launch their own satellites!
Turk, didn't you order a CyberTruck? If so (or anyone else who did) please tweet out to Elon and tell him how much the Airstream community needs Starlink!

Here's some new details on what you'll need to received the service: https://www.slashgear.com/elon-musk-...line-08606331/

Airstream should offer this antenna preinstalled in the future...
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #54

2020 30' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Dallas , Texas
Yeah this really sucks, AT&T has been my internet provider since who knows when. I'm still thinking which provider to switch to.
Oculiform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Locked Hardware....Thank You.

Ultimately, Airstream made a bad decision in using locked hardware to run Internet as well as their "smart" stuff. They should have separated those two things so that all that was needed was a generic Internet connection. If nothing changes right now, your "smart" connection will still work because it uses that second simm and virtually no data. But people will not use the Internet portion unless AT&T gives a plan more in line with what the rest of the industry is doing. If you don't want an extra antenna on your Airstream, you'll simply swipe the antenna ports from the peplink and the "smart" control will be dead. We need Internet more than we need remote control/monitoring.
A-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 33FB Classic
Pawleys Island , South Carolina
At&t

Any updates on Airstream partnering with AT&T for a reasonable priced unlimited data plan?
Johncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I've heard nothing from Airstream concerning the 2019 model series which we own. So far, it seems that they just abandoned us - or perhaps they haven't yet found anything or are just going with whatever AT&T is willing to offer.

AT&T does offer a 100GB/yr account on their buy-a-session website where the Airstream account is managed. (under the name "pay as you go car/RV" which seems to take the place of the old unlimited. All of the other plans are monthly renewing plans with absurd costs for how little we travel with the Airstream.

I have 7 more days left on the original unlimited plan. I purchased a few more before they dropped it so we'll see if one of those old plans rolls over. right now they just show pending.

My original assumption had been that this was a special plan negotiated with Airstream (probably because that is how the dealer presented it to me.) I have since realized that AT&T had this as a standard pre-paid plan and many outside of Airstream took advantage of it as well. Airstream had nothing to do with the design of the plan other than they promoted it. The burden of the plan management has always rested solely on the shoulders of AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncia View Post
Any updates on Airstream partnering with AT&T for a reasonable priced unlimited data plan?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post

I will try to contact my friend at Airstream to see how to handle keeping the smart connect and adding a new provider to the Peplink.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
You are correct it was a standard plan. Our Audi has a system that uses at&t on the same plan and price.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:54 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
Agree, this may be common knowledge but I just navigate around all this in my 2020 interstate by purchasing a peplink router and the wireless module directly from firefly. I use an OTR sim for data currently and can control every function on my touchscreen as if I was standing in the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6627F075-9006-4D89-9DF1-FE9C2BA24D2D.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	364421  
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote