Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #561
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Even more reason to have dual SIM with two different carriers.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #562
DEAN

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
NSB , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Airstream is now offering their “Airstream Connected” solution with AT&T 4G LTE and WiFi Hotspot in a dealer installed solution with an MSRP of $999.

I wonder if Airstream will offer this as a factory-installed option or perhaps at Jackson Center. Has anyone had this installed yet?

https://www.airstream.com/connected/
So are you using the white antenna that came with att connect????
Ekonomou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #563
DEAN

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
NSB , Florida
Att antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Airstream is now offering their “Airstream Connected” solution with AT&T 4G LTE and WiFi Hotspot in a dealer installed solution with an MSRP of $999.

I wonder if Airstream will offer this as a factory-installed option or perhaps at Jackson Center. Has anyone had this installed yet?

https://www.airstream.com/connected/
So are you using the white antenna that came with att connect????
Ekonomou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #564
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Just got this email - seems some update is coming. Anyone have further details?

"Experience and Performance Improvements
There is a firmware and mobile application update scheduled to be sent to your Airstream Connected system at 4:00 PM EST on July 13, 2020. To ensure a safe and reliable system, we are always working to push automatic updates that improve system stability.

Do I Need to Do Anything for the Firmware Update?
If your router is currently on and connected, it will automatically update. Routers that are currently offline will update the next time they have an internet connection.

Mobile App Update
An updated version of the Airstream Connected app has also been made available through Google Play and the Apple App Store that includes support for this update. Additionally, the new version of the app features:

New, polished user interface

Improved loading times and faster connectivity

Improvements in the router settings, including controlling campground Wi-Fi

Improved checklists with offline capabilities

Ability to customize the name of your Wi-Fi

After updating your mobile app, you will be asked to sign in again. If you experience issues, please ensure you have the latest version of the app downloaded to your device.

Thank you,
Airstream, Inc. "
Old 07-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #565
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
I started a new thread for this, under "Airstream Connected – July 13, 2020 firmware and app update," because it seems like a turning point for Airstream Connected. Besides, this thread has gotten very long. Here's what I posted:

Just when I was resigned to write off the very expensive Airstream Connected hardware I had installed in my Sport 22FB just over 51 weeks ago, Airstream has this afternoon pushed new firmware to the router and has updated the Airstream Connected app. Up until now, we've had to call Jackson Center to have campground wifi turned off so that our AT&T connections didn't bog down. Now, according to what I'm seeing on the app, we can control that ourselves. I got the email from Airstream a little over an hour ago. I have to say, my connection now feels faster, but it could be my imagination. I'm posting this as a new thread because I'm six days from the end of my year of prepaid unlimited Airstream Connected service with AT&T, and I want you guys to vet what I think I'm seeing. Being able to turn on or off campground wifi could make one of AT&T's (very expensive) new plans worthwhile.
danieljhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #566
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
P.S. I was able to connect to the wifi at the RV resort where I'm currently parked via the app; I had had Jackson Center turn off campground wifi approximately 50 weeks ago.
danieljhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #567
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Can you post a link to new thread for cross reference?

Also - have you added a 5Ghz router to handle connections and to overcome the install routers limitations as well?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #568
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Google play finally showed am update to the app today. I updated and the new interface options are welcomed. I wonder if you can now use internet providers other than at&t or t-mobile now without a hard reset of the pep link.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #569
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I added a TP Link wifi 6 router with 5Ghz. Speed test prove it is worth the $70. Plus I have essentially 4 signals to split between people and IOTs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Can you post a link to new thread for cross reference?

Also - have you added a 5Ghz router to handle connections and to overcome the install routers limitations as well?
Old 07-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #570
Guido Dude

2018 27' International
Fairhope , Alabama
There is good info here but I am hoping someone know about the WiFi boost feature. So I have been working out of my 2018 International 27 Serenity since May 1st in remote location. I purchased the unlimited MB 1 year plan for $325.00 which shows 100GB of data for 12 months. Well I used up my first 100GB in two months due to Zoom meetings, webinars and streaming Netflix. I fear after the 100gb the speed would throttle and effect my work. So I purchased another 100GB 1 year plan. MY QUESTION: They promote the WiFi Boost feature that would allow me to connect to campground WiFi. I'm actually wanting to connect to a personal wifi network but use the AS Pepwave Max router to connect to the personal router as a boost to get better signal and NOT use my cellular data as I am parked her for another 2 months. There is not instructions on how to do this. Technical support was not helpful. When I open the connect app on iphone, network screen is first to open and says Router, Not Connected. In iPhone settings I see both the AS router and the personal router. How do connect the AS router to the personal router and know that I am not using cellular data?
RohnRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #571
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Easy way would be to pull the SIM card out.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #572
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Calling all 25FB’ers!

We are picking our new unit up and we’re having the dealer install just the Poynting 5-in-1 “shark fin” antenna.

Where is your modem installed? Trying to plan this out in my head since we’re being our new modem with us.

V/r,

Chris
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #573
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
Calling all 25FB’ers!

We are picking our new unit up and we’re having the dealer install just the Poynting 5-in-1 “shark fin” antenna.

Where is your modem installed? Trying to plan this out in my head since we’re being our new modem with us.

V/r,

Chris
In the overhead were the dvd player lives....usually.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #574
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
AT&T has a ‘wireless internet’ solution that’s a hybrid between a regular in home router/modem and a hotspot. We live in area where internet service is very limited. Had Satellite before, been there done that, never again. Hotspots are ok but throttled as everyone knows. So during the time when everyone was quarantined and working from home I needed a better solution and AT&T offered me the Wireless Internet. So it’s a router that uses AC power but has a 2 hr battery backup. It works like a hotspot but better. Pulls from a an LTE signal and transmits a WiFi signal throughout your home. Its designed for daily home internet use whereas a hotspot is not. The equipment cost me about $250 upfront and the plan I have is 100GB and it’s $60 per month. I’m getting about 20-20mps Download. The beauty is that it’s not throttled and I can unplug it and take it anywhere (airstream). We just purchased a new 2021 international and I looked into that dealer installed WiFi thing but once I saw the cost I said no thanks. As long as there is an At&t signal where we camp, this will work.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #575
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
In the overhead were the dvd player lives....usually.

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #576
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Pretty decent video.

https://youtu.be/VwEaPCKGiQs
Old 09-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #577
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Bcc75, We have been using the Fordconnect hotspot (ATT) which performs well but maddeningly shuts down soon after the engine is shut off. You have the Nighthawk modem with a $60 100 GB plan? ATT online tells us those are sold out, and the plans are $60 for 50 GB or $100 for 100 GB. The “local” store (40 miles from our NC base) says ATT doesn’t support wireless internet in this area. How did you obtain your system and plan? Have you run into geographical limitations? Thanks.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 AM   #578
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Don,
I am not sure if its a Nighthawk Modem or not. It just has the At&T logo on it and that's it. its a more of a traditional modem, not a hotspot but it works like a hotspot anywhere there is an LTE Signal. I went for 2 years in my home with just a hotspot from At&t because we had no other internet available. It was spotty at best. Then I was on the phone with AT&t and they told me about this other wireless internet that I had no idea about. I had to order through cust. service (its not in the stores) The plan I have is $20 per month plus $40 for the 100GB. I also have 3 other lines, plus Direct TV bundled, and my wife gets a teacher discount so that may be why my plan is cheaper. Again 25 mps download which is more than enough , and we have no issues going over 100GB unless my daughter is home from college doing schoolwork or she is streaming Netflix 24/7!!
We have not taken it camping yet so that will be the test, but I am told it will work like a hotspot. We shall see.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #579
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
Pretty decent video.

https://youtu.be/VwEaPCKGiQs
And I agree with what she said.....a lot of us got hosed for low end hardware....the plan is what sold it.......there should be a class action suit for this nonsense.

While not quite bait and switch.....the cost incursion on our end.....and then being soaked for crappy data plans.....many would have thought twice before installing it into the trailer......

Their hardware is bought and paid for.....and yet we continue to pay high rates.....I'm in the wrong business.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #580
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
And I agree with what she said.....a lot of us got hosed for low end hardware....the plan is what sold it.......there should be a class action suit for this nonsense.

While not quite bait and switch.....the cost incursion on our end.....and then being soaked for crappy data plans.....many would have thought twice before installing it into the trailer......

Their hardware is bought and paid for.....and yet we continue to pay high rates.....I'm in the wrong business.

Yup.

But the hardware wasn’t terrible. At least I don’t think the antenna was.

It did make me realize the install was easy and all we really needed to do was get the penetration done for the antenna.

Once that’s done AND it has the correct frequency range it’s not hard to upgrade the modem piece.