Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My Peplink smart connect completly failed!

We arrived at our campsite in Novato CA and when I opened up the Airstream smart connect app it wanted me to set up a new account. Not wanting to do that I started checking everything and found out I had lost my internet connection. I'm curious to see if anyone out there has had the same problem. I called AT&T (my hotspot sim) and they said they would replace my sim. I just got back from the local AT&T store and installed the new sim and it does not work.

My app is reporting that under "Primary network" cellular "Unavailable". I cannot get to the Peplink software to configure anything (Airstream's brilliant configuration to lock us out) and Airstream is closed for the weekend. Is there anything I am missing in getting this thing to work?

I swapped the two sims and the Peplink sees the white card that controls the trailer in either slot. My hotspot sim seems to be locked out. I called Jason and he no longer works for Airstream.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I'm considering resetting the Peplink so I can have internet. I will give up the Smart connect system if I have to as we only used it to monitor the temps in the trailer for our dog when we are not in the trailer. It does work locally when we're in the trailer, but that is not as useful especially since we do not have internet as it is.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Turk: I have same model year and configuration airstream as you do. I recently received an email indicating there was a security update and then we would lose local control until we download the new smart app which is not yet been approved by Apple. Any other ideas
?
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Turk - had the same thing happen but it fixed itself. Got the email that an update was being pushed out and that a new App would be available in a week or two as well. Ironically, unless you got it fixed you may not be able to read the forums!
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I set up a hotspot on my phone so I do have internet. Just got the last two messages about the security update. Wow, I even spent hours on the phone with AT&T and picked up a new Sim from the local AT&T store. That didn't solve it either and for good reason!

Here is the email:

Security Update
Airstream Smart Control and Airstream Connected use security certificates to encrypt the data connection between your Airstreamís onboard router and your phone. These certificates can expire, and weíve proactively updated your onboard router to have the latest security update. Your data or personal information is secure and not at risk during this update. Your Airstream Smart Control and Airstream Connected systems are safe to use.

To coincide with this onboard router security update, weíve also released new versions of the Airstream Smart Control and Airstream Connected apps. Theyíre currently pending approval from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

Until these new app versions are released, some owners may experience the loss of direct local control of their onboard router. This temporary impact includes:

Ability to join or leave campground Wi-Fi networks
Ability to change your Wi-Fi password
Ability to change your Wi-Fi network name (SSID)
As soon as the new versions of the Airstream Smart Control or Airstream Connected App are available and installed, this temporary onboard router control issue will be resolved.

We anticipate that the new versions of Airstream Smart Control and Airstream Connected Apps will be available for download in the next 1-3 days.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause for our customers and are working hard to resolve this issue.

We will send another email once the updated Airstream Smart Control and Airstream Connected Apps are available for download.

Thank you,

Airstream, Inc.

I did find the app version 2.2.4 in the store. But that is the old version. When I go to router and cellular it says "not connected".

So I guess we wait for the update to show up.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I got this email after we pulled into our campsite and after I struggled for hours on getting the smart app ups nd running. I waited patiently for the updated app to be released. It was finally released this morning and now the whole app went from partially functioning to totally NON-functioning.

What particularly annoys me is that I signed up to be on the beta testing team. I signed the NDA and went through the whole process. Then, for some unknown reason, they skipped putting me in the program. When I contacted them on Friday, the informed me that the beta test was over and that this new release would be coming out.

If they had put me on the beta test as originally agreed, I'd have been able to tell them that their update COMPLETELY broke the 2019 Classics. Instead, I'll be calling in to Airstream tomorrow about it.

The fault is not with Airstream, but with their partner Nomadics. They are the ones who screwed the pooch on this update.

As it stands now, ALL functionality of the app is broken with our 2019 Classic 30.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I got this email after we pulled into our campsite and after I struggled for hours on getting the smart app ups nd running. I waited patiently for the updated app to be released. It was finally released this morning and now the whole app went from partially functioning to totally NON-functioning.

What particularly annoys me is that I signed up to be on the beta testing team. I signed the NDA and went through the whole process. Then, for some unknown reason, they skipped putting me in the program. When I contacted them on Friday, the informed me that the beta test was over and that this new release would be coming out.

If they had put me on the beta test as originally agreed, I'd have been able to tell them that their update COMPLETELY broke the 2019 Classics. Instead, I'll be calling in to Airstream tomorrow about it.

The fault is not with Airstream, but with their partner Nomadics. They are the ones who screwed the pooch on this update.

As it stands now, ALL functionality of the app is broken with our 2019 Classic 30.

Mine is completely broken also. You said you got the smart app. The new version is not in the app store as of right now. 2.2.4 is not the new version. Maybe they pulled it when they found out it was broken.

Did they also do a Peplink update? Did they actually send a software update directly to the modem? That is what I think as my modem made me log in again to my account. When I did, the modem no longer worked.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
I noticed the problem in late May. Talked with Airstream Tech support but havenít been able to resolve the problem. I was able to connect to my home WiFi but not cellular data. Even when connected to WiFi the Airstream Connected app was saying cellular data and WiFi unavailable even though I was using WiFi data. Also GPS is unable to locate the trailer.

After several trips to different campgrounds in June and July with the system sometimes working sometimes not, my observation is when Iím in an area with 5G or 5GE the system doesnít work. When in an area that is 4G LTE the system works.

I sent Airstream several emails noting my observations as they requested. I did install the newly released Connected App version 2.2.4 today but still unable to use cellular data. But now able to access WiFi and the app shows Iím connected to WiFi.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Mine is completely broken also. You said you got the smart app. The new version is not in the app store as of right now. 2.2.4 is not the new version. Maybe they pulled it when they found out it was broken.

Did they also do a Peplink update? Did they actually send a software update directly to the modem? That is what I think as my modem made me log in again to my account. When I did, the modem no longer worked.
2.2.4 is the version that appeared today on the iOS App Store. It's what has everything broke in the 2019. Before that, I could access Wifi, but nothing now.

Occasionally, it will connect remotely, but nothing can be changed or updated and the data is shows is old data from 4 days ago.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
2.2.4 is the version that appeared today on the iOS App Store. It's what has everything broke in the 2019. Before that, I could access Wifi, but nothing now.

Occasionally, it will connect remotely, but nothing can be changed or updated and the data is shows is old data from 4 days ago.
Shut off your wifi and use your cellular on your phone. Run the airstream app again and it should connect "remotely". The data in the app should be current.

The problem seems to be that the local wifi is not working properly. That is why the router is not working properly and wifi is all screwed up.

Can someone verify that 2.2.4 is the new software? I downloaded the app on my wife's phone several weeks ago and it was 2.2.4.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
OK, I just verified that 2.2.4 is the new software. Obviously, they botched the job on this one. So it broke the system. I've spent the good part of the day working on this and have come to the conclusion that the new version is not safe at all.

I've hooked my computer to the Peplink modem with an ethernet cable and it refuses to connect to the internet. I've spent all day trying to get it to connect. Let me explain that it does "connect" and I can see the modem 192.168.51.1 but it refuses to pass the internet connection to my computer. The DHCP server is working and is passing IP addresses to my computer. All that is working as it should. Even when I let my Netgear router hooked to the Peplink, and let it use its "genie" software to auto-configure, it fails to get the internet to pass thru to the router. I frankly am stumped. I suspect the firmware in the Peplink modem may have been pushed down by Airstream and is part or all of the problem.

Of course, all of this would be easier if we had control of the modem. Airstream has chosen to "lock" the modem and we cannot get into its firmware.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I have internet through the peplink modem, just no control over the WiFi or the CZone. Iím still using the original ďunlimitedĒ AT&T system. I can access cellular data both through the peplink WiFi and the aftermarket router.

I really think Nomadics biffed this one.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Shut off your wifi and use your cellular on your phone. Run the airstream app again and it should connect "remotely". The data in the app should be current.

The problem seems to be that the local wifi is not working properly. That is why the router is not working properly and wifi is all screwed up.

Can someone verify that 2.2.4 is the new software? I downloaded the app on my wife's phone several weeks ago and it was 2.2.4.
Been there done that, no go.

It logs in but the data is not current and there is no control. Every command issued while logged in remotely results in an error. The GPS is also no longer functioning.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Iím wondering if those that are having the problem are in an area with ATT 5G. I started having this exact issue back in the middle of May long before version 2.2.4 was released. Airstream tech support initially thought it was some kind of inference at the campground I was at. GPS wasnít working, it indicated my trailer was in my driveway, I could not connect to cellular data nor campground WiFi. The app was saying unavailable. I knew I was in a 5g area because I had strong 5g signal on my iPhone. Back at home the problem persisted but thatís when I notice my home has gone from 4G LTE to 5GE. At this point Airstream thought it was an ATT issue with my data account. After nearly 4 hours on the phone with ATT they confirmed my data account is in good standing, that call was painful. Third call to Airstream tech support and they had no idea what was happening and asked me to detail the issue in an email. That was the end of June. My last trip was to a 4G area where the system worked. Hmm. Thatís when I started wondering if 5G is interfering with the pepwave. Iíve been dealing with this problem for 8 weeks and started thinking my router is malfunctioning but I canít get past the 4g to 5g change being the trigger. My issue may not be related to this security issue everyone is talking about here but itís uncanny your problems are exactly the same as mine. Iíll also add you may have brief periods when the system works for a few hours then drops out again. You know the system must of been working at some point because GPS will put your trailer at the correct position.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
Iím wondering if those that are having the problem are in an area with ATT 5G. I started having this exact issue back in the middle of May long before version 2.2.4 was released. Airstream tech support initially thought it was some kind of inference at the campground I was at. GPS wasnít working, it indicated my trailer was in my driveway, I could not connect to cellular data nor campground WiFi. The app was saying unavailable. I knew I was in a 5g area because I had strong 5g signal on my iPhone. Back at home the problem persisted but thatís when I notice my home has gone from 4G LTE to 5GE. At this point Airstream thought it was an ATT issue with my data account. After nearly 4 hours on the phone with ATT they confirmed my data account is in good standing, that call was painful. Third call to Airstream tech support and they had no idea what was happening and asked me to detail the issue in an email. That was the end of June. My last trip was to a 4G area where the system worked. Hmm. Thatís when I started wondering if 5G is interfering with the pepwave. Iíve been dealing with this problem for 8 weeks and started thinking my router is malfunctioning but I canít get past the 4g to 5g change being the trigger. My issue may not be related to this security issue everyone is talking about here but itís uncanny your problems are exactly the same as mine. Iíll also add you may have brief periods when the system works for a few hours then drops out again. You know the system must of been working at some point because GPS will put your trailer at the correct position.
the last upgrade broke my ability to control the Campground WiFi. Once turned on, I could not turn it off. I was eagerly awaiting this update to fix that one problem. Instead of fixing it, they broke everything. Everything worked fin until they pushed out their updates (supposedly to deal with the certificates issue). At that point, I spent a couple of hours before I received the email detailing what they did. (By the way, that was VERY poorly handled. These certificates don't just suddenly go bad. Those are dates that are known a long way off. Poor planing on their part to wait to deal with it until just before the certificates expire.) However, I still had some control over the system, but had to log in remotely.

All during this time, the pepwave continued to pass data and the connection showed 4G-LTE. After they released the app update, I downloaded and installed it and lost ALL control through the app. both local and remote quite working. The system just completely fails on local connection. On a remote connection, it connects up, but the data shown is old data and any command issued results in an error. The GPS location no longer functions and no scheduled events can be made.

We don't have 5G in this area (rural).
Old 07-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Just got off of the phone with Airstream. They are receiving multiple calls this morning. a Mr Puckett asked me to send an email detailing the issues along with the last 5 of the VIN number. You should call in as well.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Yes Iíve talked with him 3 times and sent him 3 emails. He is well aware of the problem.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
Yes Iíve talked with him 3 times and sent him 3 emails. He is well aware of the problem.
Just received an email that the long awaited update is in the App Store. I hope it works.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
Just received an email that the long awaited update is in the App Store. I hope it works.

I also received a second email this afternoon that the update was ready but I believe the email is referring to version 2.2.4 I downloaded yesterday. The app update doesnít fix the problem. Iím thinking maybe a pepwave firmware update will be pushed out.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
No update for my Android yet...looks like a staggered roll out by Google...
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote