Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Pleasant hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
You will not need a new pepwave from airstream that statement is 100% false. I did a hard reset on the pepwave that came with the connect system. You then just set it up like you would any other router.

I don't have the czone but I also never have any issues with my pepwave.

For those of you that are wondering my current firmware is 8.1.2.
Turk123 indicated that he monitors the temperature of the Airstream classic, hitting the reset button will erase the Czone configuration file, the Pepwave may work afterwards but the smart features will not
Zila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zila View Post
Turk123 indicated that he monitors the temperature of the Airstream classic, hitting the reset button will erase the Czone configuration file, the Pepwave may work afterwards but the smart features will not
It doesn't affect the Czone itself, on the ability to connect through the peplink. You still have local control.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
I have a Flying Cloud without Czone. I installed a MicroAir soft touch thermostat last year. I have Bluetooth and remote WiFi access to monitor and control interior climate. I have no idea if something like Soft Touch can be used with your systems but it has been very reliable in mine.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
following
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zila View Post
This is correct.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
The workaround is this.....if you used the router ethernet port for the additional external router for access. Then use LAN1 port from Peplink to the Ethernet port (LAN1-4 or 5 depending on router) of the router and plug anything else like the Blu-ray Ethernet into the external router. The external router 4 LAN ports ARE a switch and the external router will handle all of the Ethernet traffic as the Peplink will act as the DCHP server (assuming you have the external router setup as an access point) and provide IP addresses to all of the connected devices.
This is all true and it will get your Peplink working again. Use your second router as the switch. Plug the first port of the Peplink to your "LAN" port of the router and then plug the czone "blue" ethernet cable into a port on the router.

Working perfectly and I have all my modem settings under the router choice in the smart connect app.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If you hard-wired the 12v power to your second router, this will keep it running even if you hit the disconnect switch. I have a Classic 30 2019 so your mileage may vary.

If you use the airstream wifi, it is getting its IP address from the Peplink. Airstream corporate still should be able to see the Peplink (192.168.51.xxx) and push an update. I will confirm that with Cory later.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
If you hard-wired the 12v power to your second router, this will keep it running even if you hit the disconnect switch. I have a Classic 30 2019 so your mileage may vary.

If you use the airstream wifi, it is getting its IP address from the Peplink. Airstream corporate still should be able to see the Peplink (192.168.51.xxx) and push an update. I will confirm that with Cory later.
That is the caveat that I didn't mention, it must be wired to the 12v system for this to work without being on shore or inverter power.

The idle current is low on the 2nd router, but still, keep an eye on your batteries.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just finished reading all the post related to 8.1.2 in the Peplink support group. It appears that Peplink firmware version 8.1.2 is causing all kinds of trouble. When people using this modem reverted back to 8.1.1 is didn't fix the problem!

For those of you that have reset the Peplink modem, can you confirm that your second port is working properly?

Tom & Doty
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Yes all my ports are working. No issues in my setup with the 8.1.2.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Just finished reading all the post related to 8.1.2 in the Peplink support group. It appears that Peplink firmware version 8.1.2 is causing all kinds of trouble. When people using this modem reverted back to 8.1.1 is didn't fix the problem!

For those of you that have reset the Peplink modem, can you confirm that your second port is working properly?

I believe Peplink corrected the issue with firmware 8.1.2. Effected other router models. I did the hard reset two days ago and it’s like a breath of fresh air. The system is working great. My pepwave is firmware 8.1.2 build 5054. Access to the router via a web browser is very nice and give you much more than the airstream connected app. I also down loaded the PepLink Pepwave router utility app and must say I like it much more than the Airstream app. Very easy to set up connection priorities. You can even set up cellular data and WiFi as priority one and the router will load share between the two. I set up my home WiFi as priority 1 and cellular data as priority 2. The cellular data shows up as on standby and hasn’t any used any of my plan data as priority 2. I can also disable any connection I want and reconnect when I want to back. The system is using the data plan I was on before the reset so I lost no data. So far no regrets and wish I did this long ago.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
I believe Peplink corrected the issue with firmware 8.1.2. Effected other router models. I did the hard reset two days ago and it’s like a breath of fresh air. The system is working great. My pepwave is firmware 8.1.2 build 5054. Access to the router via a web browser is very nice and give you much more than the airstream connected app. I also down loaded the PepLink Pepwave router utility app and must say I like it much more than the Airstream app. Very easy to set up connection priorities. You can even set up cellular data and WiFi as priority one and the router will load share between the two. I set up my home WiFi as priority 1 and cellular data as priority 2. The cellular data shows up as on standby and hasn’t any used any of my plan data as priority 2. I can also disable any connection I want and reconnect when I want to back. The system is using the data plan I was on before the reset so I lost no data. So far no regrets and wish I did this long ago.
If you don't need the Czone data as Turk123 does....then everything you said makes sense....but if you do....a hard reset nukes all that functionality...even if it is clunky.

If they rolled out 8.1.2 to everyone, this doesn't explain why both your LAN ports works and no one else's does.

Can you still use the "locate" feature with the Airstream app now that you've hard reset it?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I have 2 Pepwaves. One with the AS connect and a second one that I use fir internet. Because the AS ATT plan is so expensive, all it does is AS connect/Smart things. Everything else like watching TV, surfing, email is through my Pepwave Max Transit. That Max Transit has been hit with the 8.1.2 virus/bug and occasionally drops cellular.

It is hard to tie your wagon to any tech vendor. Pepwave will sort things out eventually, then everyone else will get their end straight. But pure Pepwave still has issues.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
If you don't need the Czone data as Turk123 does....then everything you said makes sense....but if you do....a hard reset nukes all that functionality...even if it is clunky.

If they rolled out 8.1.2 to everyone, this doesn't explain why both your LAN ports works and no one else's does.

Can you still use the "locate" feature with the Airstream app now that you've hard reset it?

I don’t have the Czone system so I didn’t have that concern when deciding to reset or not. Prior to the reset I had no access to the router firmware version. After nuking the firmware was version 8.1.2 build 5054. My understanding is other builds of version 8.1.2 have issues some of which have been corrected. I have no idea if the nuking process automatically updates the firmware, if so then airstream controlled routers could still be at an older version. All my connectivity issue went away after the reset. Now it’s only been 2 days but I haven’t noticed any problems and no problem have been logged by the router. Also my home WiFi dropped out a couple times but the router switched automatically to cellular data. When my home WiFi returned the router switched back to WiFi data and logged status reports.

As to the “locate” feature, after nuking the router it appeared I had no functionality in the Airstream Connected App. I then deleted the airstream app from my device. I downloaded the “Peplink Pepwave Router Utility” app. This app does provide location but I haven’t figured how to access the router remotely. It’s not much of a help if I’m sitting in my airstream logged into the router locally and get a location map. I did see a activate Remote Access option in the router advance settings but haven’t got it work. I’m probably at the limits of my IT knowledge base, I’m no IT expert. I’ll keep researching the remote access but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

If anyone is interested, I do have remote access to my MicroAir Easy Touch thermostat. I can control my interior climate while away from the trailer.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
As to the “locate” feature, after nuking the router it appeared I had no functionality in the Airstream Connected App. I then deleted the airstream app from my device. I downloaded the “Peplink Pepwave Router Utility” app. This app does provide location but I haven’t figured how to access the router remotely. It’s not much of a help if I’m sitting in my airstream logged into the router locally and get a location map. I did see a activate Remote Access option in the router advance settings but haven’t got it work. I’m probably at the limits of my IT knowledge base, I’m no IT expert. I’ll keep researching the remote access but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

If anyone is interested, I do have remote access to my MicroAir Easy Touch thermostat. I can control my interior climate while away from the trailer.
And you won't get the peplink to work with the remote access. When you buy a peplink, you have to register it with their InControl system to utilize the location features. Airstream already has it registered (which is where they are getting the location from) but they will not release it to you. You might be able to strong arm them with the "right to repair" act that Biden just put in place, but I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully gotten them to release the modem from their registration.

I bought a second peplink to play with, but I just haven't had time yet. You might be able to set up your own location server (ham radio operators do that all the time) and get it to work, but you won't be able to use peplink's tools.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just got a message from Cory. It said that Peplink is working on the issue. Cory said it could take up to 2 weeks.

I just tried to log in remotely. It displayed old data. Couldn't get it to work.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
I just got a message from Cory. It said that Peplink is working on the issue. Cory said it could take up to 2 weeks.

I just tried to log in remotely. It displayed old data. Couldn't get it to work.
I'm showing good data, but the location isn't updating. Still shows the park where I was when the uploaded the new firmware to it. Everything else seems to work.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
And you won't get the peplink to work with the remote access. When you buy a peplink, you have to register it with their InControl system to utilize the location features. Airstream already has it registered (which is where they are getting the location from) but they will not release it to you. You might be able to strong arm them with the "right to repair" act that Biden just put in place, but I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully gotten them to release the modem from their registration. .

I tried to add my router to my InControl device list. I got the message “device already belongs to another organization”. I sent Airstream an email asking them to remove my device from their organization. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I tried to add Airstreamd to my router and my InControl device list. I got the message “device already belongs to another organization”. I sent Airstream an email asking them to remove my device from their organization. Fingers crossed.
Yep! Airstream uses InControl to track all their customer's trailers that have the Peplink modem install. They know where you are at! Airstream uses the software to push updates and to break our modems

The flaw in all this is that most people have their trailers turned off. When they get a notification that there is an update, they ignore it. When the customer takes their trailer out for a vacation, their trailers may not work with the new app. Airstream has one person Cory taking care of all the calls that he gets when the trailers do not work. A thankless job, but someone has got to do it.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:

Hi Tom

Do you know if the fix is still on track?

Thanks.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote