Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 05:27 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I don't have the smart connect in my 18 but I do have the connected system. I hard reset my peplink a year ago and it has worked fine ever since. You would lose the smart features but you would have reliable internet with control of the system.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
I don't have the smart connect in my 18 but I do have the connected system. I hard reset my peplink a year ago and it has worked fine ever since. You would lose the smart features but you would have reliable internet with control of the system.
And access to the routers firmware....
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Yea, I'm about to do that if this isn't resolved today. Has anyone been able to talk to Cory? He is the only one qualified to handle this type of problem. He has the ability to log into our Peplink modems to see what is going on. I tried to reach him yesterday, and he was on a call that had gone on for over 20 minutes. Cory works from home, but Airstream can see if he is available and how long he has been on a call. He sent Cory an email with my info.

I'm on hold with Airstream right now. "There is currently 4 calls ahead of you". Yea, probably all the same issue!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:

You peaked my interest. I have a ‘17 using airstream connected, not the the smart connect. I was told to never ever do a hard reset. But after two months it seems like I have nothing to lose. To perform a hard reset is all I have to do is insert a paper clip into the reset port? How do I access the router after that?
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
You peaked my interest. I have a ‘17 using airstream connected, not the the smart connect. I was told to never ever do a hard reset. But after two months it seems like I have nothing to lose. To perform a hard reset is all I have to do is insert a paper clip into the reset port? How do I access the router after that?
When it resets, the SSID will show XXXX-YYYY. The last 4 of the serial number of the router. Click on that to have the modem provide your device with a DHCP IP address automatically.

From there, use a command prompt with ipconfig /all and it will tell you the routers gateway IP address.

Type that into the browser and it will take you to the login admin page of the router/modem.

I don't know what the default login user and password is, but it can be found in the MAX BR1 mini user manual that you can get directly from peplink with a simple google search.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Yea, I'm about to do that if this isn't resolved today. Has anyone been able to talk to Cory? He is the only one qualified to handle this type of problem. He has the ability to log into our Peplink modems to see what is going on. I tried to reach him yesterday, and he was on a call that had gone on for over 20 minutes. Cory works from home, but Airstream can see if he is available and how long he has been on a call. He sent Cory an email with my info.

I'm on hold with Airstream right now. "There is currently 4 calls ahead of you". Yea, probably all the same issue!
I'm on the phone right now: "There is currently 8 calls ahead of you".

And on a personal note....their on hold song sucks...gets all distorted on the terrible guitar rift....booooooo.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
First of all, it is not that simple! You have to be familiar with setting up a router.

Just got off the phone with John at Airstream support and they do recognize they have a problem with the new update and certification. I was told, "Do not reset the router"! If you ever want to go back it will cause huge problems with setting up the modem again.

Cory is reaching out today to those who have contacted support. They are still working with the software company to resolve issues, but can maybe get our internet working again. I don't understand why Airstream does not test the software with a few of us before releasing it to the mainstream of trailers. All this could have been avoided.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
First of all, it is not that simple! You have to be familiar with setting up a router.

Just got off the phone with John at Airstream support and they do recognize they have a problem with the new update and certification. I was told, "Do not reset the router"! If you ever want to go back it will cause huge problems with setting up the modem again.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try to be patient. I’ve setup routers before but I know just enough to know I don’t want to.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
....I don't understand why Airstream does not test the software with a few of us before releasing it to the mainstream of trailers. All this could have been avoided.
Because they are meddling into territory that they do not truly understand. They need an IN HOUSE software and hardware engineering team to deal with this stuff. But being in the middle of nowhere, who you gonna pay that salary to deal with this type of stuff...when I was there last year, I was showing customers how to switch between the WiFi and cellular in the app and also explain "why" you would use one over the other...because they (Airstream) were clueless....I'm sure they get better as they move along.....but good lord....at least have some basic understanding before you roll it out to the masses.....especially the non tech people...they are certainly no Apple.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Because they are meddling into territory that they do not truly understand. They need an IN HOUSE software and hardware engineering team to deal with this stuff. But being in the middle of nowhere, who you gonna pay that salary to deal with this type of stuff...when I was there last year, I was showing customers how to switch between the WiFi and cellular in the app and also explain "why" you would use one over the other...because they (Airstream) were clueless....I'm sure they get better as they move along.....but good lord....at least have some basic understanding before you roll it out to the masses.....especially the non tech people...they are certainly no Apple.
Airstream should swallow their pride and hire a few nineteen-year-olds and have them handle the phones for internet smart app support! This stuff isn't rocket science but is challenging for "our" generation sometimes. Cory could still head up the department to keep the "kids" from Pixxxxxg off most customers. It might be a growing experience for both parties!

Tom & Doty
Old 07-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Airstream should swallow their pride and hire a few nineteen-year-olds and have them handle the phones for internet smart app support! This stuff isn't rocket science but is challenging for "our" generation sometimes. Cory could still head up the department to keep the "kids" from Pixxxxxg off most customers. It might be a growing experience for both parties!
But therein lies the problem.....people like me that paid north of $2200 for this install/hardware/plan(which is now gone thanks to aholes who abused it)...don't want to hear about growing pains...

The flip side....we adopted early....as an engineer, this is a no brainer, but for those that are not....like I dare say > non-tech generations...it is not so simple....especially when it doesn't work!

But your plan does make sense to me...
Old 07-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
But therein lies the problem.....people like me that paid north of $2200 for this install/hardware/plan(which is now gone thanks to aholes who abused it)...don't want to hear about growing pains...

The flip side....we adopted early....as an engineer, this is a no brainer, but for those that are not....like I dare say > non-tech generations...it is not so simple....especially when it doesn't work!

But your plan does make sense to me...
I'm just patiently waiting for my warranty to expire, then the entire system is getting an overhaul. there is so much more they could be doing with the CZone. The Internet side is getting replaced with a Ubiquity UniFi Protect system. Most of it is already in place, but I'm waiting for the warranty to expire, then the pep wave is getting yanked in favor of something else.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I'm decent with setting up this type of thing but no genius. Download the manual and be patient. It's really easy if you follow instructions and have a little know how. I'm so glad I did. This thing used to stop working and I'd have to reset it or other various problems. Now I'm able to connect it to Wi-Fi when I want or disconnect it, set up when it automatically restarts and many other features. Of course it does a whole lot more than what I use it for but I'm extremely happy that I did the reset. Again though I don't have the czone so of course one would lose that function. I did hook up another router to it using an ethernet cable and so now I have two routers putting out three different signals that I use for my various iot's. I've also found that it works most faster now.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I talked with Cory Rex through ZenDesk and he got into my modem and found out the Peplink update had not been downloaded yet. Duh! How could it, it was broken from the update!

He went in and sent the update to my modem and it has fixed most issues. I cannot tell if it is fully back to normal as I'm in Nevada and have very poor cell service right now. He did say that the app is still being worked on. Mine seems fine but it seems to be very slow in updating the info. Cory told me that they are working on a further update to correct some issues that people are having.

If you have not had any success with your Airstream app, contact Cory to get a resolution. Your modem probably has not gotten the updated firmware. What version is the new Peplink firmware? Who knows, our Peplinks are locked up!

Tom & Doty
Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Any resolution yet?

I called JC and they took my name for “Cory” to all me back. That was 2 days ago and I have not heard from him. Has anyone been able to resolve the issue?
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #36

2021 30RB Classic
Mooresville , North Carolina
I actually followed your instructions to install a separate tp-link wireless router hardwired to my Peplink modem a few weeks ago. The speed difference for wireless connections was substantial. The latest update to the Peplink appears to have disabled the hardwired ethernet port on the Peplink to which the tp-link was connected. Have you experienced this? I can use the default Peplink wireless network and connect to either cellular or WiFi, but if I try to connect anything to the ethernet port on the front of the Peplink it never has an IP address assigned. I can't even trick it by providing a static IP address on the same subnet. Pretty bummed that whatever they've done to the Peplink has broken the fix for their weak WiFi radio. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

Quote:
I talked with Cory Rex through ZenDesk and he got into my modem and found out the Peplink update had not been downloaded yet. Duh! How could it, it was broken from the update!

He went in and sent the update to my modem and it has fixed most issues. I cannot tell if it is fully back to normal as I'm in Nevada and have very poor cell service right now. He did say that the app is still being worked on. Mine seems fine but it seems to be very slow in updating the info. Cory told me that they are working on a further update to correct some issues that people are having.

If you have not had any success with your Airstream app, contact Cory to get a resolution. Your modem probably has not gotten the updated firmware. What version is the new Peplink firmware? Who knows, our Peplinks are locked up!

2021 Classic 30 RBT
2020 RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
AirShotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShotts View Post
I actually followed your instructions to install a separate tp-link wireless router hardwired to my Peplink modem a few weeks ago. The speed difference for wireless connections was substantial. The latest update to the Peplink appears to have disabled the hardwired ethernet port on the Peplink to which the tp-link was connected. Have you experienced this? I can use the default Peplink wireless network and connect to either cellular or WiFi, but if I try to connect anything to the ethernet port on the front of the Peplink it never has an IP address assigned. I can't even trick it by providing a static IP address on the same subnet. Pretty bummed that whatever they've done to the Peplink has broken the fix for their weak WiFi radio. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.
Yep, LAN2 port has stopped working all together. If you use LAN1 port, that still seems to work.....looks like they broke the firmware......again...I swear I am ready to unload this stupid AS connected and just do my own thing....what a waste of time and a LOT of money.

If it hasn't been said....Airstream.....This is a black eye for you....get your stuff together....you are not doing yourselves any favors....hot market or not.

There...I said it.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #38

2021 30RB Classic
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Yep, LAN2 port has stopped working all together. If you use LAN1 port, that still seems to work.....looks like they broke the firmware......again...I swear I am ready to unload this stupid AS connected and just do my own thing....what a waste of time and a LOT of money.

If it hasn't been said....Airstream.....This is a black eye for you....get your stuff together....you are not doing yourselves any favors....hot market or not.

There...I said it.

I was afraid this was a firmware update issue. I'm on hold trying to get through to support now. If/when I get a resolution I'll be sure to pass it along. I suppose it would be possible to install a switch and use LAN1 since it's currently occupied by a yellow ethernet cable leading somewhere in the trailer, but dang that's a lot of work to get power, etc. for the switch. I was pumped to get the tp-link wired (thanks to turk123's instructions). Fingers crossed they'll be able to re-enable the second port.

2021 Classic 30 RBT
2020 RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
AirShotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShotts View Post
I was afraid this was a firmware update issue. I'm on hold trying to get through to support now. If/when I get a resolution I'll be sure to pass it along. I suppose it would be possible to install a switch and use LAN1 since it's currently occupied by a yellow ethernet cable leading somewhere in the trailer, but dang that's a lot of work to get power, etc. for the switch. I was pumped to get the tp-link wired (thanks to turk123's instructions). Fingers crossed they'll be able to re-enable the second port.
The workaround is this.....if you used the router ethernet port for the additional external router for access. Then use LAN1 port from Peplink to the Ethernet port (LAN1-4 or 5 depending on router) of the router and plug anything else like the Blu-ray Ethernet into the external router. The external router 4 LAN ports ARE a switch and the external router will handle all of the Ethernet traffic as the Peplink will act as the DCHP server (assuming you have the external router setup as an access point) and provide IP addresses to all of the connected devices.

Note: The uplink of the external router is not used in my configuration as an FYI, all Ethernet is connected to the LAN ports of the external router only.

EDIT: The yellow cable you are referring to is most likely the Blu-ray player so it can access the internet to update itself and call home for disc keys as directed by the discs themselves.

I had to rewire mine and it works as it did before. Their update killed LAN2 and of course there is no access to fix it.

This is not acceptable by any means....they are screwing with peoples experience and access...and of course, zero testing on their end. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, I'm back to square one. My Peplink modem shows 12-13 down and 10-11 up on Speedtest but then fails a minute later. I also spent hours trying to hook my Netgear Nighthawk router to the Peplink. No go. I didn't try the first port as that is hooked to my czone system and reports tank levels and control features to the Airstream app. If the second port is not working properly, that is not something we have the ability to fix. That is why I could not connect my second wifi router.

I can see my AT&T sim now as the firmware Cory downloaded fixed those issues. The Peplink (as the title explains) is still broken. I just sent Cory another Zendesk email to report the bad news to him. We thought all was fixed.

Cory said earlier that they have a problem with the software . They will report back when they resolve it. It's going on 5-6 days now with no results from Airstream.

Tom & Doty