Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Palo Alto , CA
Question Is Weboost Worth Installing?

How good/useful is Weboost? I'm scheduled to have in installed soon but I'm wondering if it's any good. Thank you for whatever information you can give me.

Gordon.
Starliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I've got it in my Airstream, and I'm glad that I do.

It's important to note that it's a signal booster, so it needs a signal to boost. If you're off the grid and you have no cell signal at all, then weBoost won't help. I've got a fixed omnidirectional antenna mounted on the roof of my airstream. I don't have the version with the telescoping arm.

It's also important to note that per the weBoost instructions, the internal antenna needs to be at least 18" from the booster to prevent interference. I installed a little shelf in the interior of my airstream, about 5 feet away from the booster. It works well overall. I also use the little shelf for my Verizon MiFi in the event that I need it. When not in use, the antenna stows inside the cabinet above my dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream shelf.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	404493  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
There is a Weboost system where you don't need it as close to the antenna. They are specifically made for RVs. However, then you can't use them in the truck. But the Weboost system is pretty good. I have it in my pickup because I was getting lots of dropped calls. Don't anymore.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We do a fair bit of edge of service camping so I just ordered the big one ( destination RV). It comes with a large outside antenna on a pole and a fairly large internal antenna and amplifier as well. In the process of installing and designing what goes where. Looks like under the table on a 27 FB. Will install with HD Velcro.

I’ll report back 9nce done and tested.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
It’s a component of “stacked technology “. When you can’t get results, there’s no single culprit. Don’t stake your career on a Weboost assisted zoom call.
Ours has tipped us into the data exchange capability on several occasions. Otherwise I keep it stored away. It works, but it’s not magic. I would not spend a lot on a fancy installation when strapping the antenna to an awning arm or picnic table and running the lead through the window’s bug fuzz works just as well.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starliner View Post
How good/useful is Weboost? I'm scheduled to have in installed soon but I'm wondering if it's any good. Thank you for whatever information you can give me.

Gordon.
In general, weboost works. As with anything like this, there are tradeoffs/decisions to be made. If you want the highest signal improvement while stationary, the Destination RV system will provide the best performance.

We had a system similar to Destination RV in our house and it made our cell phone signal useable (no more dropped calls) compared to the very poor signal prior to our weboost installation. The advantage of Destination RV is the antenna is directional and you "point" it direction of the cell phone signal. This was absolutely key in our decision on which system to install at our house. The disadvantage... you will have to point it toward the cell phone tower (where's that you may ask) for best performance.

The Drive Reach RV and Drive X RV products have the advantage of being used while the vehicle is in motion. That's imperative in some scenarios. These systems are omni-directional and that compromises signal strength but the plusses may outweigh the minuses.

As with many things in life... it depends. Yes, weboost works. It's not hocus-pocus. The product selection, installation and operation have a big impact on whether you will experience an improved cell phone signal.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Just a follow up. As said above, it only works if there is a weak signal that it can strengthen. A couple of years ago a friend couldn't get make a call to his sister who was undergoing surgery. I told him to sit in my truck with the we boost on. He could make the call. So it does enhance the signal.

The problem now comes with getting data reasonably fast. That may be another story.

I will look forward to JonDNC's report back.

Also I have a very simple set up for putting it in the RV. I use a suction cup antenna that I can attach to any side of the trailer depending up where the strongest signal is. I ran the antenna line underneath the bed and through the rear cargo door. It isn't fancy. But it does works

I agree above that I wouldn't get too carried away with installation. Thankfully signal coverage has improved immensely in the last few years, and we rarely need it where we tend to travel.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I am on my second Weboost and use it primarily in a location that has weak to no signal. I purchased/upgraded to the Reach from the 4Gx. The extra 10db (what I experienced) made the difference from occasional connection with the 4Gx to being able to reliably make and receive calls using the Reach. Like others have said data is marginal with weak signal. We can send iMessages and texts, but surfing social media is very slow.
I have also used it in other locations to improve average connectivity to higher speed connection. It is definitely not magic or foolproof.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
I have the We Boost Drive Reach temp attached for easy removal. My life pretty much depends on it. The TMobile def needs it, Verizon just a tad better, but at least +20db for both.
(T Mobile has Magenta Max 55+, a discount gob of data 100g with 40G hotspot. But all the data ain't worth nothin' if you cant hook up.)
My experience doing cross country motorcycle rides has a me looking for meal breaks with wifi (usually Denny's).
Since my livelihood depends on it, its better than nothing for $500. I bought cheaper but that didnt do the job. So I bit the bullet and glad I did.
I'm using it right now.
The Connect 65 RV model is more $$$ and a different application. See which works best for you
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Nice to have or must have

I agree with most of the comments - and I have weBoost both in my trailer and in my vehicle - and an additional add on cellular data unit to connect devices within the vehicle. But as noted by others, it can only boost a signal if there is a signal.

So this is under the category of nice to have an internet connection.

Under must have

If you absolutely have to be able to transmit and receive email, documents and or mobile calls, then you need to up your game. There are times when I'm in remote off-grid locations but I have to check in or receive emails. I have an Iridium satellite phone with the Access data box for email. As long as you can see clear sky, you can connect to satellites. And Iridium now has a less expensive alternative Iridium GO! - widely used by off-shore boaters and some RVs.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
We use a WeBoost and I love it. I use a 14ft fiberglas expandable pole that I can remove. One of these days I will do a roof mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6922.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	404639  
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
How/where do you run the cable from the antenna to the inside of the AS?
Texarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmslade View Post
How/where do you run the cable from the antenna to the inside of the AS?
So I ran the cable underneath the bed (drilled small hole in the wood framing), then to the cargo area, then attach cable to antenna. I close the cargo door on the cable after I get the antenna in place (there's enough room with the padding without crimping it). This way I don't have to drill any holes in the shell; which to me is asking for trouble.

This took me about 10 minutes.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions. Some much more complicated then mine and probably "cooler."
Old 09-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My Weboost will often take a one bar signal and make it five bars. Unfortunately it doesn't always mean its a speedy five bars.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Like others have mention, it isn’t magic…it’s an improvement. We don’t need it as often as you might think. With the following items, you can easily set it up through your existing sat connection which you probably don’t use anyway.
You mount the receiver in near your stereo. Just remember to unplug the receiver when not using the antenna. Keeping it powered up without the antenna connected can hinder your signal.

https://www.amazon.com/F-Type-Female.../dp/B0814BQHJN
2 C-Clamps
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...clamps/2262228
Use these to tie wiring to whatever.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...unting/5369707
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3440516C-DB88-4301-ABD2-919999E46798.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	404644   Click image for larger version

Name:	174B76C7-FB65-456F-AB13-F5BCC2DB9D89.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	404645  

Name:	BF0A4289-289F-4141-BE8C-107F6A84E229.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	404646  
Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
That looks like a nice solution for the antenna. Unfortunately it would not work out west. Windy conditions are so common in the mountains that I can rarely leave my awning open for more than a few hours at a time.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
We use a WeBoost and I love it. I use a 14ft fiberglas expandable pole that I can remove. One of these days I will do a roof mount.
Thanks for the picture!
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Palo Alto , CA
Cool

I had the weBoost installed earlier this week and so far I’m very happy with the results. This may sound like a silly question but does having an antenna mounted on the roof of my airstream improve the reception of my iPhone even if I don’t turn the weBoost on?

Prior to the installation I was getting only one bar on my phone. I surmised that the body of the airstream was acting as a Faraday cage. Now I get four full bars on my phone even with the weBoost turned off.

One thing I’ve noticed however. When weBoost it turned on the component mounted to my wall becomes pretty darn hot. I hope this isn’t a fire hazard.
Starliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
WeBoost equals Junk

The vast majority of my camping is at the margins of cell phone connectivity. I have seen no appreciable improvement on cell tower connectivity. Oh, the little antenna that comes with it will give you four bars if you smash the thing against your phone, but actual tower connection is negligible. No better than what my phone is actually getting on its own. What the answer is, I don't know, but I do know that after many times of setting the thing up, I wasted my time where I could have been fishing. I imagine if you set the transmitter antenna up inside the Faraday cage known as an Airstream, you can probably drag in some signal from outside, but again I state, it has provided me no more signal than what my phone actually picks up on its own. It's your time and money though. Other user findings may vary.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
El Paso , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
We do a fair bit of edge of service camping so I just ordered the big one ( destination RV). It comes with a large outside antenna on a pole and a fairly large internal antenna and amplifier as well. In the process of installing and designing what goes where. Looks like under the table on a 27 FB. Will install with HD Velcro.

I’ll report back 9nce done and tested.
I just bought the Destination as well, trying to figure out the best place to put the Mast Antenna when ready to use. I already understand I will need to do some modifications to keep it secure, can you share how you are going to secure your antenna? BW I have a 1977 Airstream Ambassador,
kparker1022 is offline   Reply With Quote