Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Is 5G important to WeBoost?

Is 5G important to Weboost?
or Surecall, or any other LTE Amplifier?
Is it important to Airstreamers using amplifiers?

It is.
It is not.
It depends.

Let me start with: it is not.

The Amplifier has no knowledge if the signal is 5G or LTE.
I am am going to ignore 3G since that is being turned off so fast, and not highly relevant as to why 5G is important to boosters.
The Amplifier does not see 5G or LTE. It just sees energy in these bands and amplifies it. 5G or LTE:
Band 12/17 700 MHz
Band 13 700 MHz
Band 5 850 MHz
Band 4 1700/2100 MHz (AWS)
Band 2 1900 MHz (PCS)

What is important:
You do not see:

Band 71 600 MHz
Band 41 2.5GHz
Band 30 2.3 GHz
Band 66 1700/2100 (Extended AWS)
Band 14 700 MHz (Firstnet)
Band 48 3.5 GHz

What do we use WeBoost for? Voice, Texts, Internet.
Let's break those down into two categories: Voice+Texts versus Internet.
Being able to receive or make a phone call is critical for safety purposes.
Texts are nice.
Those get Nothing out of 5G!
If you need to boost, and if you want phone and text, Turn off 5G on the phone. It is probably just sucking down the battery and providing nothing.

Internet is a whole nother ball game.

If we need boosting, we are in a low signal area.
If we are in a strong signal area, then having the booster turned on is probably just introducing more noise to the spectrum and is a detriment to everyone trying to use the cellular network.......Turn the booster off!

For Internet:
If you have AT&T or Verizon, and need a Booster: Turn off the 5G. That is a bold statement, but if we need a booster, then we are more likely needing 700 or 850 MHz more so than any of the 2 GHz based bands and LTE will give close enough bandwidth to the comparable 5G in those 700/850 bands.

Now lets go to: It is Important:

If you have T-Mobile: The amplifiers do not include 600 or 2500 MHz, and that is where 5G will really make a difference for T-Mobile internet bandwidth.
So if needing a booster, and it does not boost 600 or 2500, That booster will do very little for internet 5G on T-Mobile.

600 MHz will reach further than anything in 700 - 2500 MHz, and that is important as T-Mobile builds out 600 MHz in areas that Airstreamers travel.
So if you can pull in 600 on your T-Mobile device: Use it, It might be either 5G or LTE, but the cell tower will decide that. Ignore the Booster. (Or use the Booster for Voice/Text)

Expect to see Verizon coming on strong with 3.5GHz 5G, but for where Airstreamers park, 3.5 GHz is likely to have a big reach problem, and the current generation of boosters do not cover it anyway.

The Important takeaway from this thread: If you have T-Mobile, you will start to see 5G benefits in areas that Airstreamers travel, but just not through the Booster.

There is way more to this topic, but that is enough for one diatribe.
I hope you enjoyed this.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
My short answer to this is not in the short term.

All 5G phones have the ability to turn off 5G which is good news because with the proliferation of new phones on 5G it should help to unsaturate the 4G networks creating more bandwidth for the 4G users.

As you state in your email, most places we all will travel are not places that will have 5G present and we are still 5-7 years out until true 5G is spread across the country.

What ATT and T-Mobile are selling as 5G really isn't 5G but 4G LTE enhanced.

If you depend on weboost or have one already look at turning 5G off on your phone while camping if you even have a 5G signal out there.

Happy camping and stay off your phones
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Real 5G

Please help me understand.
If the carriers are using 5G transmission protocols and modulation, does that not make it real 5G.
Of course they are not going to get 1 GBps throughput on frequencies below 2.7 GHz, but I would think it is still very much 5G. It is just limited to the throughput based on the spectrum available.
Why is it important: If the carrier is broadcasting in 5G, and they have carved out certain spectrum for 5G and are not radiating LTE on that same spectrum, then as they turn up more 5G and less LTE, it will make a real difference to Airstreamers where we travel to get 5G.
Verizon is a weird convolution with DSS dynamic spread spectrum. Using the same frequency for both LTE and 5G is a weird mix.
But for T-Mobile, Turning off 600 MHz 5G or turning off 2.5 GHz 5G would be a real step backwards as they turn up more spectrum on 5G.

I have a different opinion: 5G is here, and it is very real. Over 100 MBps and over 200 MBPS on T-Mobile is very real in 5G in the Sub-3.5GHz.

So the answer is not a simple: Turn off 5G.

I think the answer for Booster applications: Turn off 5G on the phone, but very much keep it turned on the HotSpot assuming there is a separate MiFI or Router Modem.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve had WeBoost for several years, and my answer in my experience is “no”.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Do not expect an amplifier with 600 MHz

Do not expect a new amplifier anytime soon adding coverage for 600 MHz.

This is what I got directly from WeBoost:
"Unfortunately, no booster on the market will cover Band 71 due to FCC regulations. "
So it is not that WeBoost and Surecall do not see a market for it. They are restricted by the FCC.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Waynesville , Missouri
WeBoost - Next to Nothing

Incredibly disappointed in WeBoost. Interior transmitter only transmits about one forth of an inch from the shell body. Next to worthless. I have to lean my cell phone against the transmitter body to get any signal. My wife was laughing at me because I was making a call walking around with the transmitter smashed against the phone at the same time.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
Incredibly disappointed in WeBoost. Interior transmitter only transmits about one forth of an inch from the shell body. Next to worthless. I have to lean my cell phone against the transmitter body to get any signal. My wife was laughing at me because I was making a call walking around with the transmitter smashed against the phone at the same time.

Something is definitely wrong with your installation. Prime suspect would be the distance between the interior antenna and the exterior antenna.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Those of us still alive in 20 years will be saying. “Remember when we had to be clever to have fast internet everywhere?”
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Something is definitely wrong with your installation. Prime suspect would be the distance between the interior antenna and the exterior antenna.
Yeah, but the amplifier would indicate that problem through the lights?

We’re at a State park in South GA where ATT coverage is lousy. I put up the Weboost RV 65 with the log periodic antenna. It’s working well but I really needed to fiddle with direction. I underestimated the directive to of that antenna.

Sorry about the drift. I’m following to pick up any tips to increase the effectiveness of Weboost.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
The inside antenna should be within 12 inches of phone to maintain good boost. Simple solution for audio calls is purchasing AirPods, that way you can leave the phone on the inside antenna and walk in and around the airstream to your hearts delight.
MandN is offline   Reply With Quote