Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So the ATT Tethering is another $20/month? I imagine that it would be better to just pay the $25 for iPad 3G as that would have to be faster than going through a bluetooth if. If you didn't have an iPad and wanted to use your laptop to tether then that may make sense.

I guess the video streaming feature probably won't work on the old Apple TV, will have to see on that. Have thought about buying another of the old ones cause I like the hard drive and having movies, photos and my iTunes stored on it. It doesn't make sense that the new one doesn't have iTunes on it so you can buy stuff.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Actually, the MyWi app shares over wifi, turning your phone into a WiFi hotspot, with WEP if you desire. I have used it with and iPad and a laptop, it was actually faster than browsing on the iPhone.

Apple is not updating the old Apple TV with AirPlay streaming capabilities. I'm with you, I like my old AppleTV with hard drive. It gets used daily. Time will tell if the AppleTV2 will compare favorably.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Tell me more about the MyWi app.? Take it runs on the iPad?

Went searching tonight at Costco for a Vizio 23, Razor thin 1080 display ($200) to replace the Sony 15" Wega. Plan to connect to antenna and a new Apple Tv to the iPad or iPhone.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Actually, the MyWi app shares over wifi, turning your phone into a WiFi hotspot, with WEP if you desire. I have used it with and iPad and a laptop, it was actually faster than browsing on the iPhone.
I can't find the MyFi app at the iTunes store. Where is it available>
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I believe that MyWi requires you to Jailbreak your phone (an Apple no-no), which means you will not find it in the app store.

"Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town. Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak. So you don't want to be around." ;-) -Thin Lizzy
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
^ What he said. While jailbreaking is pretty easy, it's not for novices, especially those worried about little things like warranties.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
iPad and Apple TV

Hopefully Apple will release the streaming option for the iPad and new Apple TV. Have upgraded the TV to a digital Vizio 23" and tried the Apple TV which works well with a laptop. But to save space want to leave the laptop behind and stream movies to the apple TV from the iPad.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Typically I'd expect the 4.2 update next Mon/Tues, as they typically don't release updates on Fridays. However with next week being a short week who knows, maybe we'll get lucky with an update tomorrow.

In case anyone is interested, the iPad will apparently be sold this holiday season at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for $399, base models (16GB, wifi only). They will almost certainly be refurbished at that price, but still that's pretty cheap.
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
That would be cool if they release it as I'll be in the trailer next week over Thanksgiving. I also put an Airport Express I had in the trailer to create a network to stream music to the sound system.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I know this is an iPad thread, but for those lonely PC users out there, all you need to do is buy a copy of Woodalls Directory, and use the included CD with your laptop. No internet connection needed.

Assuming you know where you are and where you are going, you can do searches on a number of handy parameters, including the individual camp facilities, such as WiFi, pool and so on.

I would never travel without mine. It has found me great camps up and down the Eastern and Central US, using their rating system to avoid the plethora of nasty camps there are out there.

And now back to your regular Apple broadcast.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Soviet Ministry of Telecom

The iPad may be the best thing I ever bought for road travel but signing up for ATT service in the USA was not seamless and painless like the Apple Store in Toronto claimed it would be.

It was exactly the opposite, using up two days.

Believe this or not, ATT will NOT accept a VISA credit card issued by a Canadian bank.

After frustrating hours spent in a three way call with Apple and ATT both on the line the only solution was to line up at a WALMART counter and purchase a PRE-PAID Walmart VISA Card, as if I were someone recently released from a Michigan Prison with no credit standing.

Then there was another, last, frustrating step were you need access to both a phone and the internet to activate the card.

YOu are demeened all the way.

And the fees are horrendous: $3.00 a month regardless, $3.00 every time you add more funds at a Walmart .... on and on.

A not so nice welcome the America ingenuity.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Sergei, what kind of cell phone do you have? My Droid X can be used as a wi-fi hotspot for up to 5 devices. May be an alternative to using AT&T.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
We love our iPad and each of us uses it daily, but not for email or web surfing.

We bought it with the 3g - AT&T option thinking we could have an email connection when wifi wasn't available. That was a great idea, but ...

In a 9000 mile loop covering the Northwest and the American West, we only had the AT&T connection with no WiFi available once, three days near the end of the trip. That occurred in Denver. We paid $15 a month for all those months with no service. We found Wifi to be abundantly available at most every campground and used our laptop, and, if needed, the iPad.

I have since dropped the AT&T contract. We also, found that the iPad's Wifi antenna is not as strong the MacBookPro's.

When we go to AZ in Jan. for the cold months, maybe the AT&T connection may work for us.

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Yes, try going into Yellowstone where cell service was rare. Had a weeks worth of e-mail downloading when we hit the interstate at the end of the week. But we are Airstreamers so for some time being unconnected from the web is part of the drill.

As for the ATT issue, I don't know where they get the data from they advertise with the US maps on it but there's a whole lot of the US that gets coverage than the 90 something percent they say that covers the US. And 3G less than that. But the iPad on the road while driving and navigating when you do have a connection is a cool way to go.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
When we go to AZ in Jan. for the cold months, maybe the AT&T connection may work for us.

Just got back from Scottsdale yesterday and AT&T service for my ipad was fine. FYI, we're getting AT&T in SW Colorado next month. I had to use a service address different than my home address in order to get the AT&T connection for my ipad.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have the Ipad with the 3G. I was surprised how much we used it on our last trip. If we needed to change plans, the answers were readily available.
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The new Apple TV allows for streaming video and audio directly to the TV. I am using an Airport Express to create the network in my trailer. It works fine as well as the content is on my iPad or iPhone. But since the Airport isn't connected itself to the Internet then I can't use the iPad to stream a movie to the screen. When connected to wifi the iPad doesn't use the 3 G service so you are basically turning off the 3G. If the airport could connect to the Internet then it would be a different thing.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quick note: just down loaded the latest iPad software and it makes it even easier to use. Also installed the TuneIn radio app and can listen to any station streaming on the Internet.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
iPad Wall Mounts?

I'm thinking of getting a swing out device for my iPad to be mounted to the wall where the flat screen was going to go. Anyone done this in their AS? If so, what mount are you using?
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
ipad mount

Click image for larger version

Name:	ipadkitchen.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	153294

This one may work for $100