Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Internet interior plug location

Ok folks looking to put internet into the trailer, I see the plug outside.... but where does the plug inside reside? Can’t seem to put eyes on it.... anyone please!!!
Thanks in advance

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Ok folks looking to put internet into the trailer, I see the plug outside.... but where does the plug inside reside? Can’t seem to put eyes on it.... anyone please!!!
Thanks in advance
Plug outside? On a 2018? Are you talking about one of the coax plugs in the Furrion port near the main shore power inlet? If so, and if you have coax cable-modem service where you're parking the trailer, you could put the cable in on the satellite port and there's coax for it somewhere behind your bluray player in that cabinet. You could put the cablemodem in the cabinet and run ethernet from there, or put a wifi router there (or your cable provider may give you a wifi cablemodem combo device.)

If you want both video and data from the cable company, you probably need to split the line before entering the trailer and hook up to both of those coax inlets, and if your cable provider is like most current ones you'll need some sort of converter box at your TV(s).

If you're not talking about those coax inlets, I don't know what you mean.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *are* doing a cable modem, understand that each and every system has their own requirements for that modem. What works on this system may not work on that system. You also will need an account with whatever outfit feeds cable to the campground. Since campgrounds are often out in the sticks .... who knows who that might be.

Indeed if you are stationary at a single location pretty much all the time, none of this may be a big deal. That *is* an unusual case. There also is the case of a campground supplied cable modem ... also not real common.

One simple answer in the more normal case is to use WiFi to connect rather than a cable modem. Another simple answer is to use a cellular modem.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Plug outside? On a 2018? Are you talking about one of the coax plugs in the Furrion port near the main shore power inlet? If so, and if you have coax cable-modem service where you're parking the trailer, you could put the cable in on the satellite port and there's coax for it somewhere behind your bluray player in that cabinet. You could put the cablemodem in the cabinet and run ethernet from there, or put a wifi router there (or your cable provider may give you a wifi cablemodem combo device.)

If you want both video and data from the cable company, you probably need to split the line before entering the trailer and hook up to both of those coax inlets, and if your cable provider is like most current ones you'll need some sort of converter box at your TV(s).

If you're not talking about those coax inlets, I don't know what you mean.

I couldn’t find my manual and a handful of searches got me zilch...
Nailed it. Had some fun taking out the cabinet the blu Ray is mounted in and pulled out a huge mass of cables... found one end of a coaxial!!!! Better be hooked up to the exterior plug!!! 🤨
Thank you! Now to test the signal....

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you *are* doing a cable modem, understand that each and every system has their own requirements for that modem. What works on this system may not work on that system. You also will need an account with whatever outfit feeds cable to the campground. Since campgrounds are often out in the sticks .... who knows who that might be.

Indeed if you are stationary at a single location pretty much all the time, none of this may be a big deal. That *is* an unusual case. There also is the case of a campground supplied cable modem ... also not real common.

One simple answer in the more normal case is to use WiFi to connect rather than a cable modem. Another simple answer is to use a cellular modem.

Bob

Until I can retire for real I’m just practicing, want internet for entertaining kids and self on occasion.... when I’m not on a plane somewhere
Thanks for the replies!!!