Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Imagine my surprise - Internet plan!

I just discovered something about my AT&T cellular plan that makes me, well, thankful that I signed up when I did. My plan is "Unlimited". Before you guys jump in and say it gets throttled past 10Gb or 22GB, it doesn't. It gets network managed according to the towers it is using.

I had a long conversation with an AT&T rep yesterday about this plan. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning.

Many years ago (more than 10, I believe), I saw an article on the internet that said that the AT&T hotspot was going away and to sign up before March even if you think you would not need it. At $20/month is sounded good, and I did sign up for the AT&T Unlimited Plus plan. Several months later, AT&T canceled the plan; well, they tried. Back then, AT&T did not have the legal terminology worked out and what we signed up for was not cancellable by AT&T. Cancellation by AT&T was not written in the contract. I was grandfathered in.

I purchased a Netgear hotspot from AT&T and have not used it much over the years. Until now. With AT&T canceling the Airstream plan several years ago and me signing up for one more year and getting it, I had another year to figure out what I was going to do when we got back on the road. That's when I remembered my hotspot plan. So I did some digging and called AT&T about the plan I bought so many years ago.

The gentleman on the phone said what are you worried about, it's unlimited. I just wanted to know if it was 22Gb for the four devices or each line. He kept saying why do you care, it is unlimited. He then stopped me and said he signed up for the same plan years ago and he used 360GB last month alone! He said back then the towers were far and few between and the chances of network congestion were great. It will slow you down in those circumstances but will share the speed of the tower. Today we have many more towers and your devices (iPhone) use up to three towers at once with speed in the 50-75 Mb down speeds. He told me not to worry about the then 22GB limit as it is not throttled but networked managed. At today's speeds, you'll be fine!

Imagine my surprise!

Is this plan available today? No. It is not a solution for those who need internet while they are traveling and or working on the road.

I just finished a PM that I reached out to one of the members here with the question "Can I use the SIm from the Netgear hotspot in my Peplink router. He thought I could. That would give me the antenna on the roof and better exposure to the towers. I will be trying this later today.

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Yesterday I made a trip to the local Corporate AT&T store. I took my Netgear hotspot and my Peplink modem from my Classic 30. Barb was very nice and said she could fix me up with the appropriate Sim to fit the Peplink modem.

The Peplink requires the "Large" size sim. My hotspot had a "medium" size sim. Barb went to the back of the store and returned with the appropriate Sim. After asking me for my driver's license for identification, she pulled up my account and reprogrammed the new Sim. Took all but 2-3 minutes.

She said "You're good to go!" and said she would be available till 8:00 pm if I ran into problems. We did not have a way to test the new Sim in the store.

Returning to the Airstream, I hooked up the modem, plugged the antennas and power in, and added my second dual-band router. The amazing thing is, it worked like a charm!

While in the store, I verified with Barb the plan of my hotspot. She said that I was very fortunate to keep that plan and even caught the attention of her co-worker who also had the same plan. The co-worker said, "Don't ever let AT&T talk you into changing that plan! I even use that plan at home."

I ask when the plan was discontinued and she said about three or four years ago. For those of you who purchased hotspots back then, check to see if you have this plan. I was talking to my brother yesterday and told him about the plan. He said he kept that plan also!

$20 / month for unlimited data is an amazing price. After installing the Sim in the Peplink and testing the speed of the tower, I was getting 55 MB down and 23 up. Not bad!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Great updates thanks.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International