Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I'm sorry, as a long time Windows professional geek, I can't stand Windows 10. It looks like an interface designed by a demented, underpaid sea slug.

I'm stuck with supporting it, but that does not make me hate it less. Sorry.

To me, it is non-intuitive, clumsy, and full of glitches, far worse than Windows 8. Sadly Windows 7 is not supported enough any more, so I'm stuck with 10 on a horribly expensive ruggedized laptop.

I'm seriously considering dumping the whole thing and going 100% Apple or Linux. Sigh.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
You can always try something like this...

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ma...like-windows-7
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #22

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
As a trivial sidenote, putting your laptop in Battery Saver mode freezes any updates as well. I run in that mode most all the time on my laptop. Permanently disabling the Windows Update service also works....just remember when you are home to restart it. You could create a quick batch file to disable and then restart the services when coming or going.

I know the last time I was in Alaska that a friend/colleague had Verizon and they worked really well. I felt sorry for him because it was work that was calling. Haha. Being with T-Mobile, I used the excuse my phone didn't work :-).

It all depends where you're going in Alaska, though. Anything outside of the big providers is gonna be slow and pricey and skinny on data.
MaryGladys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I used to be a minor-league computer geek when I was working for a living. Not anymore. Computers are getting more complicated just as age is causing me to lose whatever brain cells survived the alcohol consumption of my younger years.

So I'm thinking of doing it the easy way. Laptop with Won't-Goes 10 stays home, and an Android OS tablet computer travels with me. Haven't made that decision just yet, still pondering, but the notion is looking better all the time.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you really, really don't want windows update running on your win 10 computer, go to "services.msc", scroll to near the bottom to "windows uodate", and select "stop service", then "disable".
Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #25
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It works.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote