Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
How to make my blu-ray player work wirelessly?

I am NOT a techie by any means. We just got our 2014 20FC, we have wireless internet at our house, that the laptops pick up just fine in the AS. The Blu-ray has Netflix on it, but the only connection in the settings is for a hard-wired internet connection.

Here's the question...wait for it...

Can someone tell me what I need to buy to make the Blu-ray player pick up my wireless signal so I can watch Netflix in my driveway

I don't know if this is going to require me plugging something into the port on the front of the machine (I hope) as the back is buried in the cabinet (but then I'm sure someone can tell me if it just slides out or not...)

THANKS!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It's kind of dopey that they put in a wired only internet blu-ray player. But I guess it saves a few bucks.

You'd have to put in a Roku or Apple TV or something- which is fine if you have an old one laying around. If not , I think the cheapest solution would be a new blu-ray. They are pretty cheap.

It would work in your driveway, but I've never found a campground wireless connection fast enough to support streaming movies. I never tried it, but everything else is pretty marginal, so I can't imagine it would work.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I researched this the other day, and you will need a wireless router with at least one ethernet port, and do some configuring of the router.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Is there a way to connect directly to the TV with your wireless connection? If it's a smart TV with wireless you should be able to.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Is there a way to connect directly to the TV with your wireless connection? If it's a smart TV with wireless you should be able to.
The TVs in late model Airstreams are not smart TVs.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I don't know...

I have the Samsung TV that comes in the 20FC's. I don't believe it in itself is wireless capable, but then I don't know that either - is there a way to tell?

All I know is, when I turn the TV and Blu-ray player on, I have a bunch of icons, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I went to settings to try and set up my wireless, but it says "hard wired connection". Now, I'm really NOT wanting a big long cord coming from my house to the trailer. And that got me thinking...how do people connect and use this camping if it isn't wireless?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I researched this the other day, and you will need a wireless router with at least one ethernet port, and do some configuring of the router.
Do you have a link to a router? Also, would that be plugged into the back where the Ethernet cable would go or to the front usb plug?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
Now, I'm really NOT wanting a big long cord coming from my house to the trailer. And that got me thinking...how do people connect and use this camping if it isn't wireless?
You don't.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Do you have a link to a router? Also, would that be plugged into the back where the Ethernet cable would go or to the front usb plug?
Samsung samsung BD-D5100 : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
To connect a wired device to a wireless network you would need a bridge. Try googling "Linksys WET610N" for an example. I haven't tried one of these myself...you will probably need to set it up with a laptop (as you would a wireless router in your home). I'm also not sure how well streaming would work from your typical campground wireless network.

Good luck, and let us know if you get this working!
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I have the Samsung TV that comes in the 20FC's. I don't believe it in itself is wireless capable, but then I don't know that either - is there a way to tell?

All I know is, when I turn the TV and Blu-ray player on, I have a bunch of icons, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I went to settings to try and set up my wireless, but it says "hard wired connection". Now, I'm really NOT wanting a big long cord coming from my house to the trailer. And that got me thinking...how do people connect and use this camping if it isn't wireless?
If you go into the TV or Blu-ray settings and find a place for an Internet connection and there is only a setup for a wired ethernet connection, you don't have wireless. You'd have to purchase something like a Roku player to plug into an HDMI jack on the TV (there is a model of Roku that supports a composite connection but you need to purchase the adapter, separately).

What are the model numbers of the Blu-ray and TV? We can look them up and give you more information.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
For what it is worth, here is a YouTube video talking about wireless bridges. It is for business networking, but the same principles apply...

kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The track to tech, it never ends! As others have shared, you have to have a device that will add "Internet" to your player. My advice would be a wireless router with ethernet ports. Equipment like that will also POTENTIALLY provide Internet wirelessly inside your AS all other devices- if it can pick up a wifi signal. That is the short of it.

The long of it is that you might want to make the quest a bigger project- to provide a wireless/wired Internet signal to anything inside your AS and provide the internal "router" a way to get a signal outside of your metal shielded compartment (the Airstream) boosting the signal by using a more powerful unit outside mounted high and then "repeating" the signal inside with another router.

There are many roads to this endeavor but suffice it to say that it requires an antenna and two routers for optimum capability. There is a bunch of techno talk about all of this but here is an actual packaged product you may consider (I did):

Quote:
RV WiFi
The go2 link shows the inside router device. I mounted mine on a wall behind the TV in my AS. It connects to the electric and also requires a cable be run to the roof of the AS, to the router and antenna. You would also have to run an ethernet cable from your Blueray player to this device. An Apple TV or Roku unit will provide you a connection hardwired and could be done in addition to this (if you cannot get cables to a router) I mounted mine on the winegard tv antenna pole and ran the cable through the fridge vent down and into the coach. I purchased the mobilTi unit. The other option is the sky. I am not sure what specifically you might need for a sky unit in addition but the company is very helpful. The mobileTi has a more powerful transmitter. The point of having something on the roof is to get beyond the "faraday cage" of the AS (shielded by metal that loses a great deal of signal to pick up any wifi signal available and then rebroadcast that inside your coach via a second router. The two routers work in tandem (insert more techno talk). There are several ways/companies that go about this process but they packaged it up for less technical people. Here is a link to a testing of individual items you can buy. This guy also has done several videos on his "experiments" on getting Wifi to his RV. Really good. He also attends the FL AS rally.

Look under his section titled Wifi boosters

I know this is bigger than you were thinking beyond the driveway and Netflix but you may also travel beyond and want a signal from somewhere further than the house. Where is your TV wall in the 20'?

I just looked that the floor plan of the 20'. You would come down the fridge vent and into the camper around the top of the fridge where the LED TV is mounted, put the router there and hook it up. Is the player there as well? Hope so.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
A wireless router provides a wireless access point. You need a wireless client adapter or a bridge such as the WET-11 someone suggested. An adapter such as Amazon.com: IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627 (Black): Electronics would also work and might be less expensive.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
So many answers...

Samsung - Wireless Adapter
Model: WIS12ABGNX SKU: 4860965

I found this on the Best Buy site. At this point, all I want to do is make my Blu-Ray player pickup my house wifi so I can watch Netflix. I may expand all of this as time goes on. I don't want to run all of my devices right now. I have thought of purchasing one of those "hotspot" things for phones/computers to work anywhere (but haven't done that yet)... I might if I can get my bluray player to stream Netflix!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Here's my answer...

As I'm pulling out my documentation for the blu-ray player...guess what it says?

My Player is Model BDF5100

*Requires Samsung LinkStick Wireless Device -- after promoting all this wireless stuff.

Here's the link. $50.

LinkStick ™ Wireless LAN Adaptor (WIS12ABGNX) | TV Accessories
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Conflicting info...

Does My BD-F5100 Support A Wireless Network Connection? : Bluray Players | Samsung

AND the Samsung website says it doesn't support ANY wireless network connection..

Jeez... looks like I'll just buy a player that's wifi enabled...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
As I'm pulling out my documentation for the blu-ray player...guess what it says?

My Player is Model BDF5100

*Requires Samsung LinkStick Wireless Device -- after promoting all this wireless stuff.

Here's the link. $50.

LinkStick ™ Wireless LAN Adaptor (WIS12ABGNX) | TV Accessories
I see where your Blu-ray has a USB port but I don't find anything in the owner's manual about using the wireless adapter in it. I have a media player with 2 USB ports but it came with a wireless adapter. I've tried another one in those ports and it ignores it, only the delivered adapter will work.

Considering you will spend $50 for that adapter or $99 for the Roku media player (and have to learn that) or $$$ for all the wireless bridge hardware and trouble of setting it up, if all you want to do is watch Netflix in your driveway (or campground with wireless) I'd suggest you just go buy a newer Blu-ray player equipped with WiFi. It's the cheapest and quickest way to go. The BD-F5700 has built in WiFi and sells for $99. There are many others out there to choose from, maybe cheaper.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
How to make my blu-ray player work wirelessly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
A wireless router provides a wireless access point. You need a wireless client adapter or a bridge such as the WET-11 someone suggested. An adapter such as Amazon.com: IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627 (Black): Electronics would also work and might be less expensive.

Al

Just to clarify many wireless routers also have hardwire hookups as does the one I mentioned so it adapts.

The problem though is that while you may be able to get a signal with a thumb drive unit or roku whatever, the antennas are weak. It may work only in your driveway if even there. My home signal for example extends halfway down my driveway but if I pull my truck up and get in it, my laptop can no longer get signal but my phone can barely. Imagine trying to use netflix or some wifi at a campground with only a thumb drive antenna inside the AS. Your bdf5100 has an Ethernet port
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just use a ROKU plugged into a spare HDMI port on the TV. I have a WiFi Ranger which usually assures me of a good WiFi signal, as long as one is available. On our recent 3 week trip, at least half of the campgrounds had no WiFi or Wifi that was just barely able to access e-mail, not even capable for web pages.
My ROKU is great in the driveway or at the local KOA.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote