Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
How I got my STARLINK wire out

Admins, I am not here to promote. I am sharing what and how I got my wire out. Lots of us are starting to get STARLINK and I have seen some horrible wire jobs, I nearly did the same. I know you don't like external links, but this is a Public service video that will help. I hope you let me keep this post.

When I got my STARLINK, I soon realized, I had no way to keep the router inside the rig. I kept the front door open to let the wire through, and sure enough, here comes the kids and slammed the door, luckily the floor mat was sticking out and prevented the wire from being severed. I scoured groups and forums and got a few ideas. Most were out of my skill set. This is a basic way of getting it done. It does require two people, which makes it way easier IMHO.

*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Awesome video! Thanks for posting up

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Awesome video! Thanks for posting up
Thank you. And to date, still works even after several plug and plugging it back in. The weather is SoCal, so not extremely hot, and haven't experienced extreme cold either. But the method and connection seems to be holding up.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Thanks and How

How did you ensure that the wires were correcting put into the rj45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Admins, I am not here to promote. I am sharing what and how I got my wire out. Lots of us are starting to get STARLINK and I have seen some horrible wire jobs, I nearly did the same. I know you don't like external links, but this is a Public service video that will help. I hope you let me keep this post.

When I got my STARLINK, I soon realized, I had no way to keep the router inside the rig. I kept the front door open to let the wire through, and sure enough, here comes the kids and slammed the door, luckily the floor mat was sticking out and prevented the wire from being severed. I scoured groups and forums and got a few ideas. Most were out of my skill set. This is a basic way of getting it done. It does require two people, which makes it way easier IMHO.

candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I'm an AV guy so I know how to terminate an RJ45.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I'm not an A/V guy but I've strung Cat-6 at home and terminated it myself. I've got four hard-wired POE Ubiquiti Unifi access points at home (and other Cat-6 hardwired devices) all terminating in a sorta-telecom room with a small 19-inch rack to mount all the gear.

The easiest RJ45 terminators to use are the pass-through type. A professional installer is adept at using the others, and I've done a few of those myself. However, the pass-through type are far easier for me to use. So, amaze your friends and terminate your own cables! Buy a tester. Mine tests coax, too, which is also easy to terminate.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
I'm not an A/V guy but I've strung Cat-6 at home and terminated it myself. I've got four hard-wired POE Ubiquiti Unifi access points at home (and other Cat-6 hardwired devices) all terminating in a sorta-telecom room with a small 19-inch rack to mount all the gear.

The easiest RJ45 terminators to use are the pass-through type. A professional installer is adept at using the others, and I've done a few of those myself. However, the pass-through type are far easier for me to use. So, amaze your friends and terminate your own cables! Buy a tester. Mine tests coax, too, which is also easy to terminate.

The problem is, no way to test since there's isn't any RJ45 to 20pin that SL uses tester.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Livingston , Texas
Starlink uses Shielded Twisted Pair 5E Ethernet cable between router and dishy

Note that the router to dishy cable is shielded 5E twisted pair with male micro USB ends. I replaced the router end off my 150' cable with a RJ45 connector and installed a SmartPlug data connection on the street-side rear of my 25' FB. I had never worked with STP before but it was no big deal. Just make sure all connectors, couplings, etc are shielded and that you properly maintain shield continuity when installing connectors. Platinum Tools has the EZ-RJ45 line of connectors and matching crimper that worked really well.
WBBCI #10220
2020 Ford F250 Diesel
OTRW22 is offline   Reply With Quote