Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
HD DirecTV Satellite connection in new 30FC - questions

We're ordering our first Airstream (a 2016 30' FC Recliner) and have a Winegard DirecTV High Definition satellite dish that we plan to transfer from our current motorhome to the new Airstream.

I believe each of the two TVs in the Flying Cloud will need its own DirecTV "box". (That's how it is set up in our motorhome.)

I don't see anywhere near the TVs in the Airstream cabin to place the DirecTV boxes, so I'm wondering how DirecTV installations are done in Airstreams?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You can go to the Airstream website and look up the manual for your trailer. It's under Service.

It appears that a single receiver goes near the BlueRay player and is routed to the TVs via HDMI.

Oops, didn't see that you are ordering a 2016. The latest manual up is the 2015.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Al... I will go and get the Manual from the website. Thank you.

A single receiver would not allow different viewing channels on the bedroom and living room TVs, simultaneously.

And, I'm wondering how the DirecTV receiver in that cabinet would "see" the signal from the DirecTV remote.

I would think that there are solutions to these matters, with Airstreams, aren't there?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I think most Airstream owners just use one receiver and live with the same channel on both tvs.

If you get over the air, one tv could watch over-the-air tv, or a bluray movie, while another is watching Directv.

If you really want different satellite service to both tvs, the easiest way is to use the new genie receiver as your main receiver. That way you can use a wireless mini-genie in the bedroom as your second receiver. This can be activated for $5.00 and allow you to use it as a second receiver with it's own remote. It is really small an light weight, slightly bigger than a hockey puck.

Also some Samsung TV's come with the Directv mini-genie wireless receiver built-into the TV. I doubt that the Samsung TV in the bedroom has that feature but you could always replace it with one.

Since the Genie receives 5 independent feeds from one HD Directv dish, the mini receiver can act independently and receive completely separate programing than the main genie receiver. This would allow you to watch two different satellite channels while on two different tv's all while still recording upto 3 more channels at the same time.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
AS RVDReamer points out, you could (perhaps) use a Genie system. The perhaps is because the Genie system requires a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) feed and your antenna may not have one. If it doesn't it may be possible to swap out the feed if they used a standard DTV feed. Also I think the Genie system requires internet access, at least to set up, and maybe all the time.

If you have, or put in, a SWM feed, then you could put a SWM splitter in the trailer and feed different DTV receivers over the coax in the trailer. This setup is less flexible, you would have to do some cable swapping in the trailer to convert from DTV to off-air. The DirecTV ready sets by Samsung and (I think) LG would be a good solution. Although I haven't looked at it in detail, I think they receive off-air and DTV over the same coax cable. With that setup the cable swapping or switching could be fairly straightforward. The wireless Genie is a good idea as well. Then you could drive the TV in the bedroom with HDMI and switch back and forth from DTV to off-air.

I just put DTV in my 2001 Safari, but only in the living area. I posted an article about how I did it. Search for Directv and the post should show up.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good information; thank you.

I was thinking about upgrading/upsizing the TVs a bit and didn't know that Samsung had Genie built in. That's great.

It seems like a slightly larger TV size than Airstream uses could be installed.

Have any of you gone with a larger size?

Also, is the 30FC roof capable of handling the size and weight of the Winegard Travler DirecTV antenna? If so, I would like to move ours from our current motorhome over the the new Airstream roof. I hope the Airstream dealer is up to the task of doing this properly.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed a Winegard Travlr on the roof my my '15 Classic about a month ago. There was no issue in terms of weight, though I did add the optional baseplate to better distribute the weight. Room wise, I had to move the standard small whip antenna forward toward the front A/C....about 9 inches. Your roof configuration could be different in that regard. I routed the two cables into the trailer through the fridge vent and then directly into the adjacent cabinet where the BluRay and other hookups were located. I did have to remove the fridge to do this. I don't know the floorplan of your trailer, so your challenge may be either easier or more difficult. I CAN tell you that we used the DirecTV last weekend at the Outer Banks (NC), and it was awesome. A number of folks have pointed out the problem of a rooftop install if you are in a campground that has trees shading your trailer. I just didn't want the hassle of something else to haul along.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
As for as how to use your remote control wih a hidden receiver, you can buy a small box that will receive a UHF signal from your UHF (not infra-red) remote (assuming your remote has the ability to send UHF signals). We have a Dish receiver that included a UHF remote and since we located the Dish receiver inside a cabinet the UHF signal works just fine with the box we bought. The little box receives the UHF signal from the remote and translates it into an infra-red signal which it sends to the receiver via a small wire that attaches over the infra-red pickup on the receiver.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
We bought a 2010 27FB from Windish RV in Denver in Nov 2013 which had a Windgard Traveler Slimline installed on the roof. The only advice we've received is to have it set on a cross rib if possible. If the Airstram dealer installs it they will know where the ribs are and the best location for mounting. The 30' should give more options on the roof than our shorter model. Our controller for the antennae was done as BAB described, and sets in a storage cabinet above the 'fridge. The receiver was mounted on a small shelf above the TV. In my older AS with DVD I put a BluRay on top of the receiver as well. I also addes a slightly larger TV, a 28" maybe. Can't remember what it came with but the issue was only one HDMI connect and with a grandson and gamer gear, needed another HDMI slot.
Also, as pointed out above, shade is your friend and enemy. As you probably experienced with the motorhome and Winegard. The AS will be shorter, less than 10' which puts the dish even lower. I ended up buying a carry out Winegard dish from Camping World for around 150 bucks to set out when we are enoying shade. I run the wire from that to the cable inlet on the trailer and jury rig the inside cable to the TV. Your newer rig probably has the satellite hookup option beside the cable on the outside should you ever wish to go that route. Only problem with the carry out is one sat and no HD on the version I have.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Excellent input, folks.. thanks again.

Yes, we know the shortcomings of the roof mounted antenna and usually selected sites at parks where out Winegard Travler HDhad a clear shot at the southwest skies. The one-button auto set-up convenience with the roof top model was enough to overcome the potential shade tree difficulties. Having hundreds of high def sat channels is so wonderful.

We definitely want to put a Winegard Travler HD Auto Set-up antenna dish on the 30FC.

Lots to work through, I guess, on how it will all work with the DirectTV/Genie thing in the Airstream. Unfortunately, DirecTV customer support is ot entirely reliable. We had to do a lot of digging to make sure we got a DIrecTV DVR Receiver that worked both at home AND with the Winegard Travler on the coach.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Pay your money take your choice I guess... I am not that much of TV watcher when RVing... plus... I got an old 1994 Excella... after carefully considering the pros and cons... I was only going to use a portable dish anyhow... not one on the roof... I ended up getting a new digital 24 inch TV capable of Amazon, Nextflix, Hulu etc thru its webcast reception capability. Now, using either cellphone or Verizon Mi-fi as a hotspot, with a booster... I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon... plus any web-based programming like YouTube or the National News broadcasts... and then use the OTA antenna for local news. My son now has my DirecTV dish and subscription and with the All Everything NFL package... I can stream the Packers whereever I happen to be parked as well. I used the money I saved from not having to buy and install the satellite dish, PLUS the $70+ DirecTV a month cost to just add more data to my cellphone line... so... like I said... pay your money and make your choice... but what I did works for me...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We occasionally stream Netflix on our Verizon Data plan, but when you're doing so for weeks at a time, including YouTube and such, the data plan can easily rack up many hundreds of dollars in a month. Not great. So, we do like to have satellite HD TV along with the Verizon data. We have had a few months on the road where our Verizon bill was as high as $800! We are data hogs, no doubt, so the DirecTV helps reduce our data costs while on the road.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I have a an '00 XC diesel pusher. I have two receivers installed but the line from the dish is in The living room. There was an existing line running to the TV housing in the dashbord where the first one is and I placedThe second in an overhead compartment in the living room using the splitter and an RF the docto The second in an overhead compartment in the living room using a splitter and an I use DiredtTV's built in RF adapter for the TV in the master bedroom. I have the Winegard minimax roof mounted in motion as well as the stationary Trav'LR.
My coach is currently at the dealership having my latest Honey-do list installed. I'm going with a roof mounted flip down 40 inch LED in the living room. I previously replaced the old tube TVs with LEDs, but in the living room that left me limited to only a 22 inch in the existing TV housing. I looked all over to find a pre-made kit but the largest available was 20 inches, the biggest they put in an SUV.
With your 30 foot travel trailer, I can't say for certain but you should be able to go up to at least a 30 inch, but you may have to have a custom housing made. In reality the only limit is your imagination and your budget. My friend had a drop-down projector put in the living room with his coach. I've only seen that standard on a Gulfstream Tour Master back in the day.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #14

Avalon , California
Hi. We live in Denver and have a 27' Airstream and are just looking at putting in the Directv slimline. Airstream says no problem. We are just wondering if it works well enough for the outlay of $3000? We are hitting the road for a couple of years and would love to have the tv options.
captainsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We have Dish. I bought a bundle for $500 of a Wineguard Playmaker and Base, and a Wally receiver. Works pretty well. We've been on the road for three months now with no issues.

$3,000 sounds kinda high for a antenna and receiver, to be honest.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida

If you have an installed antenna and your sight line to the satellite is blocked where your rig is parked, you are just out of luck.

I have directv and use the King Quest automatic, portable antenna. Total outlay about $500. Set up takes 5 minutes and you can put the antenna wherever you have a peek at the southern sky.

You might also look at the DishTV website. They will sell you a bundle with the antenna, receiver and DVR included for about the same money.

Just my two cents...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
For $120 on Amazon I got a SWiM DirecTV portable satellite dish. I bring our DirecTV receiver from home, plug it in to the satellite connection in the cabinet where our DVD player is, use a satellite finder app on my phone to find the satellites to aim the dish and boom...we have all our channels we get at home, including all the HD channels. Because it is the newer DVR receiver the remote works even with the cabinet door closed. Only downside is the storage of the portable dish. We looked at the King Quest portable, which is cool and much easier to store and setup, but the DirectTV model does not receive HD channels.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
You can go to the Airstream website and look up the manual for your trailer. It's under Service.

It appears that a single receiver goes near the BlueRay player and is routed to the TVs via HDMI.

Oops, didn't see that you are ordering a 2016. The latest manual up is the 2015.

Al
I have a 2015 Flying Cloud 30 ft and have had nothing but trouble with the video systems. Using the Wingaurd Dish for Direct TV has been a hassle and the box designed by the factory to store the dvd player and fit a direct tv box into is a mess. I have already taken it to the factory in Ohio once. Wondering if there are people out there skilled in repair of the electronics in Airstreams.
GallivanGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallivanGM View Post
I have a 2015 Flying Cloud 30 ft and have had nothing but trouble with the video systems. Using the Wingaurd Dish for Direct TV has been a hassle and the box designed by the factory to store the dvd player and fit a direct tv box into is a mess. I have already taken it to the factory in Ohio once. Wondering if there are people out there skilled in repair of the electronics in Airstreams.

I have a 2016 Flying Cloud 30’. We bought a Playmaker and Wally receiver. Been using it continuously since February across the US.

I found it convenient to situate the Wally above on the shelf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	299459

What sort of problems are you having?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote