Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Full-timing Internet?

Given that campgrounds have a modem dial up type of connection -- at best, what are one's options for Internet access in a full-time environment? Does this pretty much restrict one to wireless?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Depends on what service you are using and where you are. We took a trip to Arizona from North Carolina, I have and use a Sprint PCS cellular modem, it worked everywhere I tried it. We stayed in at least 2 campgrounds where no one and I mean no one had local dialup numbers. I use a 800 number with Earthlink but they charge for it. I also have access to an 800 number thru work but it is only good for 26k. My cell modem is supposed to run around 115Kbps but real world is about 2/3 of that. It does the job but I would not want to depend on it if I were trying to upload/download critical files. It works fine for email and surfing AS forums FWIW we also have a Verizon cell phone too, suprisingly the Sprint PCS had better coverage in the areas we were in. We primarily were on the I-40 corridor.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

"cellular modem" -- basically you have to make sure you get coverage in your area?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Tried it and...

wahoonc
I have that still on my laptop..Tried it and, it works but at what cost?
Well, I found out it was above and beyond my regular service connection~!
To be more specific...69cent per min..Now, that may have changed since.
The latest thing I saw was, Direcway..saw this atleast two different sites..The people using it were very enthusiast about it..
Direcway
One told me his cost was only 59$ a month..Not bad if you're full-timing and, traveling across the country..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally posted by ipso_facto
"cellular modem" -- basically you have to make sure you get coverage in your area?
That is the way it is supposed to work But I have found out that with the Sprint I can have a marginal phone signal and still have a great web signal. "Cellular Modem" also includes the Air Cards that you can get from the various carriers. The average air card is about $200 the service goes from there depending on where you sign up. The last time I checked in this area Sprint had done away with the unlimited and you were paying $100 for 300MB with extra k costing .0002. I have no idea what my monthly usage actually is or how they compute it. I have the older unlimited plan In this area AT&T and Alltel are still in the dark ages, they run about 16-18 months behind the rest of the country when it comes to roll out of the new technology. Sprint has been running the 3G phones in this area for almost 2 years, and AT&T just came out with webbrowsing in the past 14 months.
Laptop magazine did a comparison of the various air cards, Verizion came out on top with Sprint running a close second. T-moblie and Cingular weren't even close.

Aaron
Old 11-05-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
53FlyingCloud,
I have heard about Directway, did you see the real cost? It is $100 up front then $100 a month for the first 15 months, then 59.95 a month from there. I guess if I lived far enough off the beaten path it would be worth it. What kills me is that I live a mile off the paved road back in the woods, I can get ADSL, Digital Cable and the like. My dad who lives in the center of town can't get any of that...go figure. If I have directway figured right you are paying about $700 for the equipment then $60 a month for the service. My aircard has done a decent job so far. My other concern would be the obselence of the Direct TV equipment. I have an older (4 years) unit that I was going to resurect and put in my AS but they told me it would not work that I needed to purchase a new reciever. Based on industry figures the equipment becomes obsolete in about 18 months. Just about the time it is paid for LOL

Aaron
Old 11-06-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Yep..that it was~

Aaron,
You got it..I was told by this one individual..He paid for his setup, from the word get go..Then, he pays just 60$ (rounded figure) per month. For him, he's a fulltimer, this worked the best.
There's all kinds of ways to access the internet..Just depends on your needs..
For myself..I'd consider either this or something similar when that time comes.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Oakland , California
Unhappy internet access?

hi,
I have been re-reading this and am more and more confused. When I called Directway they said there was no such thing as 'affordable, portable, high-speed connections" and that I would have to invest something like 10K in a system! They said you have to be precisely lined up to the satellite everytime and there is nothing portable about it. Can anyone give me info on getting online as a full-timer preferably with a high-speed connection? Otherwise do I simply contact my internet provider for a local dial-up number everytime? thank you!
sparkleplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
ta da....you luvin it.....

sparkle farkle,
starting at about $4000 +install+ your first born+$100 duckets a month you can have one of these..bells and whistles extra....www.motosat.com
enjoy...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I could not get the link to work.

Theo
Old 02-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Oakland , California
me either!
so does that mean that almost everybody out there has plain ol' dial-up service??
sparkleplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm thinking of contacting this guy ...

Repairs by OB

He may be at the Spring Escapade in April ... so I'm going to check him out.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Aaron,

I use Earthlink, if you go to their web page and do a search for local #'s you will find you can access from almost anywhere wihout using 800 #.

Regards,
Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
When traveling, you may have access to digital cellphone service, and the hookup kit from your provider will work, usually only at about 14,400 bps outside of major cities. But you may be in an area with only analog service, in which case the King of Clubs card from Ositech will get you on, albeit at a lower 9600 bps. You may even be in an area with no cell phone service.

For that reason, or for higher speeds, you may need to find a landline. It's good to have a service like Earthlink or AOL, with many local dial-up numbers, but you may also find yourself in an area where your service doesn't have any local numbers. Their 800 numbers are awfully expensive, so carry a low-rate phone card for these contingencies.

For those with the satellite urge, read back through the Escapees Computers and the Internet and Satellites Forums. There are many users there, as well as some dealers.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Oh yeah... an amplifier and external antenna may really improve your handheld cellphone's performance and decrease drop-outs. This makes them as powerful as the old analog bag phone workhorses.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Here's the correct link to motosat.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Verizon

Recently set myself up for fulltiming via my cell phone and laptop with dial up as I can stand the slower speeds.....mostly e-mailing in my case with limited down loads and a bidding program for eBay.

The salesman did speak of broadband speeds systems but as I was not interested in the extra cost at this time, I can't quote him but you can look them up at www.verizon.com and then follow you nose to RV areas and systems...wireless, hi-speed, RVing, etc.... They also have toll free numbers for live reps....lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally posted by George Jr.
Aaron,

I use Earthlink, if you go to their web page and do a search for local #'s you will find you can access from almost anywhere wihout using 800 #.

Regards,

George,
Want to guess who my ISP is I have been running Earthlink for over 5 years. It is a little pricey compared to some others, but for being on the road it has been the best so far.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Unhappy

hey im sorry..it didnt work...hope you check it though good experience/learning curve....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #20
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
The best options are going to cost a pretty penny. Well at least what would be considered a pretty penny to some.

Ground Control Satallite systems

Ground Control/Datastorm users site/forum

enjoy
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote