Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms View Post
"satellite finder" box"

Is this all I need? Satellite Finder Dish Alignment Tool
It's $15 here, +- $35 elsewhere.
Your Receiver has a built in signal strength meter that is far better than an signal finder.

Use the receiver menu to select Set Up, put in the local zip code, this will give you the compass and elevation numbers and then just set the antenna and tune for max. signal strength and your done.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Howie...the difference is that with the small in-line meter (you can get one at Radio Shack for under $20, I believe) you can 'tweak' in the signal much better than the signal strength screen on your TV...

You hook the in-line meter out at the antenna during initial set-up, you can easily find the sat's signals after you know the approximate angle and azimath...when you get the best signal you can tighten the antenna mounts and constantly check on the best signal...

I've done this many times in the past, and believe me, it's much easier with the in-line meter - you get instant feedback, while the meter on your TV screen lags a bit.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Meter makes it a snap for sure.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
mtpalms
I saw the other day a guy on-line that used a stepping block (concrete U make walks wiff) that he bought a Lowes for $4.00 and drilled it wiff a concrete drill,put in a plastic insert and screwed the pole mount that comes wiff the kit to the block. It will fold flat for transport. I'm gonna try it. I'm searching for a system now.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Yes, you can run your Dish Box and LCD TV from an inverter connected to your 12v battery. You will need an inverter that supplies enough a/c watts to run both. The watt draw should be shown on the devices. You will also need an in-line "satellite finder" box to locate the satellite signal. A compass won't do the job.

You will need lots of battery capacity to watch TV for any length of time without running your battery down.
We're getting a 19" lcd tv (draw = 290W) and our Dish 301 averages 60W* according to dishnetwork . A 1500W inverter seems like overkill. Maybe 800W would be adequate. Maybe even 500W. I also discovered that some inverters don't come with a 12V plug (to discourage people from plugging an inverter into their car that is draws more power than the wiring can handle?). Is the wiring to a 12V plug in a camper beefier than that, or will we have to run wires to the battery compartment? Our camper is a '96 Lance, if that matters.

We don't plan to do any boondocking in the Safari.

*"Power supply draw: 0.15 - 1.25 amps, average 0.25 amps; 15 - 230 watts, average 60 watts, exact on back panel"
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I just did a search. Accu-Dish in Cerritos may have closed their doors. That's what a distributor in Woodburn, OR says.
I don't see where this was addressed. I talked to Dish Network, and got names and phone numbers of two retailers in the Eastern LA area.
Dish Link, Inc. 714-577-0070

Astro View 951-471-0524

They should be able to help with dishes, receivers, and other issues.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Your Receiver has a built in signal strength meter that is far better than an signal finder.

Use the receiver menu to select Set Up, put in the local zip code, this will give you the compass and elevation numbers and then just set the antenna and tune for max. signal strength and your done.
Gota to agree with Howie here. Unless you have a multi hundred dollar signal meter the one in your receiver is much better than the $20 version. They are intended for rough pointing only.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote