Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
DISH Tailgater on a 2008 Airstream?

I'm about to order the Taigater from DISH for the upcoming college football season. I have read over several older threads discussing installation on newer airstreams, but I am not sure if it will be an easy hook up on my 2008 International. Some people have had to use splitters etc.
Is it as easy as plug and play as some have mentioned or do I have to remove walls and call an electrician on a 2008?

Thanks for responding.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have DirecTV, so I'm not fluent in Dish, but I have done satellite on my 2001 Safari and my 2002 Classic.

I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual for your trailer, and according to that your trailer is wired like my Classic, and is how I converted my Safari. What receiver are you getting? The wiring diagram assumes that the receiver has an RF output, which does not support HD. If your receiver doesn't have the RF output, but only HDMI, then you may need professional help. There should be a TV connector plate with a jumper cable between two connectors somewhere in your trailer. If that is close to one of your TV's, getting HD there is easy. Getting HD at another TV in the trailer, not so much, unless your trailer is wired like the newer ones with an HDMI distribution network.

Here is a link to the modifications I made to my Safari. I added the dual connector plate which you probably have and the switch to allow easy switching from cable to satellite. This setup runs HDMI to a TV near the receiver.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...5&d=1423941158

If nothing else, maybe it can help your installer who may not be familiar with Airstreams.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I don't have satellite but if yours is wired like my 2008 Classic it should work like this:

Connect the Dish via coax to the external antenna connector on the exterior of the trailer.
In the trailer there is a short coax jumper on a coax face plate. Mine is under the dinette. Remove it and run coax from the input side to the Dish receiver.
Connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to a HDMI input on the TV. You may have to put the Dish receiver on your dining table. The receiver should see the Dish Tailgater. Run the setup procedure.

My manual has a description of the connection except it will state to connect additional coax from the receiver down to the output side of the jumper plate. Turn off the amplifier and set the TV to channel 3 or 4. Running HDMI in and around the dinette up to the TV will deliver a better picture and sound.

Kelvin
Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have DirecTV, so I'm not fluent in Dish, but I have done satellite on my 2001 Safari and my 2002 Classic.

I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual for your trailer, and according to that your trailer is wired like my Classic, and is how I converted my Safari. What receiver are you getting? The wiring diagram assumes that the receiver has an RF output, which does not support HD. If your receiver doesn't have the RF output, but only HDMI, then you may need professional help. There should be a TV connector plate with a jumper cable between two connectors somewhere in your trailer. If that is close to one of your TV's, getting HD there is easy. Getting HD at another TV in the trailer, not so much, unless your trailer is wired like the newer ones with an HDMI distribution network.

Here is a link to the modifications I made to my Safari. I added the dual connector plate which you probably have and the switch to allow easy switching from cable to satellite. This setup runs HDMI to a TV near the receiver.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...5&d=1423941158

If nothing else, maybe it can help your installer who may not be familiar with Airstreams.

Al
Great diagrams, makes it very simple for me to follow. I should have added that I will be trying to watch TV outside on a portable TV.
I have the connector plate under the dinette near my only TV. But, will be trying to run exntnsion outside A/S to a portable big screen.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I don't have satellite but if yours is wired like my 2008 Classic it should work like this:

Connect the Dish via coax to the external antenna connector on the exterior of the trailer.
In the trailer there is a short coax jumper on a coax face plate. Mine is under the dinette. Remove it and run coax from the input side to the Dish receiver.
Connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to a HDMI input on the TV. You may have to put the Dish receiver on your dining table. The receiver should see the Dish Tailgater. Run the setup procedure.

My manual has a description of the connection except it will state to connect additional coax from the receiver down to the output side of the jumper plate. Turn off the amplifier and set the TV to channel 3 or 4. Running HDMI in and around the dinette up to the TV will deliver a better picture and sound.

Kelvin

Kelvin, thank you! Exactly what I needed to hear. My coax jumper is under dinette also. I have not purchased the Tailgater yet, want to make sure I'm getting the correct receiver etc. for what I want to do. Which is mainly to watch football games outside on a big screen while tailgating.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
In my 2006, the external coax jack on the trailer would not send the signal from the Dish antenna. Had to use the 50 ft. coax supplied with the Dish package for the Tailgater and run the cord though a window--no big problem.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does the Dish Tailgater require RG-6 coax? I doubt Airstream ran RG-6 throughout the trailer. I wouldn't think a short run of RG-59 would affect the Tailgater unless its not good for supplying power to the Tailgater.

For outside use just bring the receiver outside, connect the Tailgater directly to receiver and run HDMI to outside TV. No need to worry about internal trailer wiring. You'll have to run a generator to supply power to the devices.

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Do you want to mount the satellite dish to the top of your trailer or are you going to use it sitting outside. I highly recommend setting it outside so you can move it around in case you park under trees, etc. On the newer trailers there are two coax jacks on the side of the trailer, one for cable tv and the other for satellite. Just plug the coax from the dish there. Then, on the inside you should find a coax cable and hdmi cable (if you have a rear TV) in the vicinity of your blu-ray player (mine was inside the wooden case enclosing the blu-ray player). If you do not have a rear TV, then simply plug that coax you just found onto the back of your satellite receiver and then run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the back of your lounge TV. If you do have a rear TV and want to watch satellite TV there also, you will need to buy a 2x2 HDMI splitter so you can plug both your blu-ray player and satellite dish input into one side and the HDMI cable leading to both TVs onto the other side. Then use the switch on the HDMI splitter to select the source device (blu-ray or satellite dish).
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Been using the tailgator about 5 years. You'll likely need the VIP 211k receiver (or latest model). It provides HDMI, RF (ch.3 or 4) and S-video outputs. The 211 has no internal hard drive, but accepts an ext. hard drive which you want, to pause, record, fast forward, etc, programming. Having recorded programming available will be nice when your tailgator doesn't have a clear shot to the southern sky. Plan on securing your tailgator with chain, cable, etc. It will work with any thief's dish receiver. Finally, please use headphones with your outside TV. Your fellow campers may want to hear the sounds of mother nature...the Kardashians, not so much.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Ordered the Winegard Pathway X2, and the 211Z receiver. I will have it in hand tomorrow. Went with this model because I live in the northeast and it will pick up east and west satellites.
For now this will be an outside set up only and even I can figure that one out.
My AS, being a 2008 only has the cable input. No satellite. And I have no plans on mounting this thing anywhere on the AS.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I will report back with a review of the Pathway X2 after this weekends festivities @ Beaver Stadium
Old 09-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Dish TV in Trailer

I had the same problem HCR had with my 2006 Safari SS 25'. I had to run the 50' cable through the window next to the dinette table. Because DISH runs the power through the 50' cable, and not with a separate electric cable, you can only run one TV off of the Tailgater (at least that was the case with the one I bought in 2013). I run the tailgater directly to the receiver and use an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
So, I was very impressed with the Pathway X2 after a weekend of tailgating. I did not run the satellite through the AS. I plugged in an outside Television and wired the satellite directly to the receiver, done. The unit sat in the grass and was not elevated. Several RV's close by but a clear view of the skies. Great signal and picture all weekend.
When I did my initial set up, I set it for the eastern satellites vs the western as I heard it would be easier to obtain better signal. And when you turn it on and the dish searches (moves all around) on its own, it's quite entertaining. Even had a few young kids scratching their heads
Also, one advantage to the Pathway X2 is that you can run two televisions off of this one receiver. I did not use that feature, but I believe it is the only satellite that has that capability.
Very pleased with the unit so far, hope it proves to be durable!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
Also, one advantage to the Pathway X2 is that you can run two televisions off of this one receiver. I did not use that feature, but I believe it is the only satellite that has that capability.
I bought my (black) Tailgater last week and there are two outputs. I wired the main through the Sat input and replaced the Blue-Ray with the Wally receiver. Plug and play and both TV's get the same channel. I'll use the second output for the occasional outdoor TV when we are so inclined.

I also saw that Dish just announced a new (white) version of the Tailgater. I'm thinking 'crap, mine is only a few days old'. But it only has a single output so I think I'll keep my two room version.

Ner version here:https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...4-4af08f13e40b
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote