Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Not sure how important TV is in life~~~~~~~FAKE NEWS!!

FBN, we stay tuned in for market research. It keeps us in the money to pay for all the add on's for our AS and trips.............

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, just to add to your excitement, (at least mine), I just called Dish to let them know I would not be renewing this month, after 2 weeks on the road from MT to TX....I had received a renewal bill...they told me no problems...they would "bank" the other 2 weeks for next time I turn on my Dish for use again! I said, "WHAT??"

Never heard of a company (least not in several years) that allowed you to "bank" unused subscription time...(think ATT or Verizon...) Anyway, that was an unexpected plus to getting the Dish for the AS! They said I would have $16.00 to apply when I call back to activate again. I may "upgrade" next time I subscribe for a months use, and get the "smart pack" also now!

gypsydad excellent feedback thanks

I also must add, tho the general support like most on-line call centers has been IMO lacking, their tech support was great and understandable. A good learning conversation indeed.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Thanks for the details...I will look into the splitter switch for the Blue Ray and Walley, but I don't need the bedroom connection...we don't watch TV in there; we like "lounging" in our living area on the couch; ...by the way did you need to add an extra power bar for the extra plugs?
Nope no extra power. The HDMI Switcher comes with a small plug in AC. power transformer. The Winegard G3 carry out has an inside cabinet power supply that is in between the dish and the DirecTV receiver. It supplies power to the dish and 50 feet of coaxial cable.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Nope no extra power. The HDMI Switcher comes with a small plug in AC. power transformer. The Winegard G3 carry out has an inside cabinet power supply that is in between the dish and the DirecTV receiver. It supplies power to the dish and 50 feet of coaxial cable.
Confused... My Blue Ray OEM unit was plugged into an HDMI splitter which took it to the lounge TV and to the bedroom TV. (I understnd the antenna/dish gets it's power from outside coax plug.) There is just a standard electrical outlet with 2 feeds inside the cabinet where BlueRay sits. The splitter has a power cord plugged into one outlet in the cabinet and the BlueRay was plugged into the other outlet. No issue yet, since I replaced the BlueRay with the Walley and did not reconnect the power. Not a biggy now since I am researching a replacment stereo receiver with built-in DVD player to replace the Clarion, but was just wondering if your set up was same as mine with 2 tv's and the splitter requiring a power source.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Confused... My Blue Ray OEM unit was plugged into an HDMI splitter which took it to the lounge TV and to the bedroom TV. (I understnd the antenna/dish gets it's power from outside coax plug.) There is just a standard electrical outlet with 2 feeds inside the cabinet where BlueRay sits. The splitter has a power cord plugged into one outlet in the cabinet and the BlueRay was plugged into the other outlet. No issue yet, since I replaced the BlueRay with the Walley and did not reconnect the power. Not a biggy now since I am researching a replacment stereo receiver with built-in DVD player to replace the Clarion, but was just wondering if your set up was same as mine with 2 tv's and the splitter requiring a power source.
Like yours mine came with the same with a 1 X 2 HDMI splitter. The one that was installed by the dealer was a 3 X 2 Switcher/splitter allowing for 3 selectable inputs to 2 outputs w/power supply. I use 2 inputs and 2 outputs. The 2 inputs are: one from the DirecTV receiver and one from the Blue Ray. The outputs are one to the TV in the Kitchen and one to the Bedroom. So the bedroom TV can see everything the kitchen TV can see. I don't use this option.

(Right now the Switcher/splitter is on the fritz. Replacement arrives on Monday)

The switcher has an auto switch capability. In other words turning on the Blue Ray automatically switches to the active input, then back again to Dish receiver when turned off. No need to use the remote. Neat.

There is another wrinkle in this, the Bedroom has a separate DirecTV receiver. The wife and I don't share the same taste in programing.

Its signal comes from the second coaxial cable to the dish. If you look at the outside of the AS you see 2 covered coaxial inputs. The rear one is for the Bedroom, the front is for the Kitchen. Open them up each has 2 inputs. The kitchen input on the left is for Park cable and bypasses the dish receivers. the input on the right is for your connection to the outside dish. Same as for the Bedroom the one on the right is for the outside dish, the one on the left is not used in my application.

Ain't easy. Technology is great when it works. When it doesn't...………….?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Just to toss this into the mix

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...-180791-3.html check out my post #35...inc the contained link. Specifics and instructions from JC...their example included a splitter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...am-159726.html post 14 with instructions from JC in pdf format attached.

Hope this helps

Bob
Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Like yours mine came with the same with a 1 X 2 HDMI splitter. The one that was installed by the dealer was a 3 X 2 Switcher/splitter allowing for 3 selectable inputs to 2 outputs w/power supply. I use 2 inputs and 2 outputs. The 2 inputs are: one from the DirecTV receiver and one from the Blue Ray. The outputs are one to the TV in the Kitchen and one to the Bedroom. So the bedroom TV can see everything the kitchen TV can see. I don't use this option.

(Right now the Switcher/splitter is on the fritz. Replacement arrives on Monday)

The switcher has an auto switch capability. In other words turning on the Blue Ray automatically switches to the active input, then back again to Dish receiver when turned off. No need to use the remote. Neat.

There is another wrinkle in this, the Bedroom has a separate DirecTV receiver. The wife and I don't share the same taste in programing.

Its signal comes from the second coaxial cable to the dish. If you look at the outside of the AS you see 2 covered coaxial inputs. The rear one is for the Bedroom, the front is for the Kitchen. Open them up each has 2 inputs. The kitchen input on the left is for Park cable and bypasses the dish receivers. the input on the right is for your connection to the outside dish. Same as for the Bedroom the one on the right is for the outside dish, the one on the left is not used in my application.

Ain't easy. Technology is great when it works. When it doesn't...………….?
All good stuff, and I get it. Still wondering about the "3rd" power plug needed if I get the powered splitter and also attach the BlueRay…. Did you get a power bar for all the plugs or what?
1) Walley power
2) Existing splitter power to the 2 TV's
3) Blue Ray power
4) New splitter for BR and Walley, power. Not a big deal, just wondering...those power bars aren't small...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Just to toss this into the mix

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...-180791-3.html check out my post #35...inc the contained link. Specifics and instructions from JC...their example included a splitter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...am-159726.html post 14 with instructions from JC in pdf format attached.

Hope this helps

Bob

Bob- That link was great especially the JC *.pdf. Amazed on the amount of info that is already out there. Just have to know where to look. Causes one to consistently have to reinvent the wheel sometimes. Thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Bob- That link was great especially the JC *.pdf. Amazed on the amount of info that is already out there. Just have to know where to look. Causes one to consistently have to reinvent the wheel sometimes. Thanks

Glad to help. It is hard...often there are numerous parallel threads running in a close timeframe...search refer fan or GYE. I often save links that i think i may need later, but still have to search, like in this instance. I saved the pdf but it took awhile to find the original source.

Happy trails.
Bob
Old 10-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #70
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Dish Tailgater System

I have had a Dish Tailgater for about four years. It use to be a problem because every time I relocated I would call Dish and get a service person who knew nothing about a traveling dish and spend a good hour trying to get reception.

Dish now has a internet location you can go to and solve many problems yourself as well as get local stations right on internet (we have a HotSpot through Consumer Cellular so easy to get WiFi). You can also update your tailgater programing, which needs to get updates about once every two weeks. It is now very easy online and takes a very short time other than the time to get your location setup on your TV screen and wait for other location settings. The website is just www.Dish.com (setup an account online if you don't have one) and then go to My Account > My Equipment (make sure your trailer receiver is ON): then go > Dish Outdoors and follow the procedures on this page. If you can't get any of the above to work then there is a toll free number to call and get assistance, and now they are VERY HELPFUL, unlike a few years ago. Hope this works for you and anyone else looking for quick connection to local channels, receiver Wake UP, and Dish Outdoors where you can do these yourself.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #71
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Dish Tailgater System

I have a problem unrelated to "how does the Tailgater and Dish work"::
I have a new 2018 27FB Int'l Signature. There are two cable screwon hookups on outside of trailer; one for cable and the other for satellite. I am told by the dealer that Airstream did not hookup the "satellite side" to the inside compartment that has the DVD player, where you would naturally put your receiver. Therefore, I am required to run a cable from my tailgater to my receiver through a window, which requires removing four screws to be able to go under the window screen. Am I missing something?? How does everyone else with a tailgater hookup their tailgater to their receiver??? HELP!!!
I am considering running cable for tailgater through refrigerator vent; drill hole through this inside wall to location under TV, which is next to frig, and running cable up to TV.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingLink5 View Post
I have a new 2018 27FB Int'l Signature. There are two cable screwon hookups on outside of trailer; one for cable and the other for satellite. I am told by the dealer that Airstream did not hookup the "satellite side" to the inside compartment that has the DVD player, where you would naturally put your receiver. Therefore, I am required to run a cable from my tailgater to my receiver through a window, which requires removing four screws to be able to go under the window screen. Am I missing something?? How does everyone else with a tailgater hookup their tailgater to their receiver??? HELP!!!
I am considering running cable for tailgater through refrigerator vent; drill hole through this inside wall to location under TV, which is next to frig, and running cable up to TV.
Yes, your missing something! There is lots of information in this thread, if you go back to beginning, including other threads. Just did this myself. Your satellite connection to your Wally receiver (dish box), is located under your BlueRay disc player. you take the screws out of the deck the disk player sits in first. Use a credit card or something that size to slip under the Blue Ray player Velcro, and take the Blue Ray player out, slide the deck to the left or lift out, and underneath there is the satellite coax connection, marked as such. I simply disconnected the HDMI from the Blue Ray and connected it to the Wally...everything worked after I set up the tailgater and called Dish to help me set up...took about 20 min first time...no issues. If you want to use both Blue Ray and Wally receiver, you will need to get a "splitter" which is what I was asking about earlier...it will also need power to that splitter switch. Not rocket science...just takes a little thinking...
Old 10-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
All good stuff, and I get it. Still wondering about the "3rd" power plug needed if I get the powered splitter and also attach the BlueRay…. Did you get a power bar for all the plugs or what?
1) Walley power
2) Existing splitter power to the 2 TV's
3) Blue Ray power
4) New splitter for BR and Walley, power. Not a big deal, just wondering...those power bars aren't small...
Ah, I get it now. I'm a bit slow.

Yes, I bought two different kinds of ac plug multipliers. One is a wall plug multiplier. It plugs into the existing 2 socket wall and gives me 6 sockets. (Doesn't take up much room) The other is a small 6 socket power strip that plugs into one of the 6 wall sockets. The DirecTV receiver, and Blue Ray are plugged into the wall socket. The small power strip is laid outside the Blue Ray box is used for the small plug-in power transformers ( DC power for the Winegard G2 dish, and DC power for the HDMI switcher)

The reason for the second power strip is the power transformers that plug into the AC actually take up two (2) plug spaces for one plug-in because of their physical shape. Stupid plug-in Xformer things one plugs-in vertically the other horizontally.

Pretty happy with installation of my 2X2 HDMI auto switcher. With the TV on with satellite picture, turn on the Blue Ray it auto switches the TV to Blue Ray. Turn Blue Ray Off it switches back to satellite. Neat.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:

Like what GypsyDad said. Use your outside coaxial cable connection labeled satellite (The other port labeled "cable" is for local RV Park cable TV.) for connecting your dish to your satellite receiver. There is a white coaxial cable inside the Blue Ray cabinet. This connects the receiver to the outside cable. Depending upon what kind of "dish" you buy, you may get a "dish" power supply that comes with the "dish" purchase. This power supply is installed in your Blue Ray cabinet and is wired between your satellite receiver and your dish. Not hard to do, just a bit awkward, and follow the installation instructions...…. No drillie holes, not necessary.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
What about changing out the Clarion??

So here is a new question, related a bit; What about replacing the Clarion unit with a newer model with BlueRay built in? I saw the Jensen Bluetooth stereo (JWM90A) in this months Trailer Life, which looked pretty interesting...you can listen to music on it, while watching TV or movies also like in the bedroom.. Any one moved to one of these new units?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'm posting this info in case you have a Dish Pathway X2 and are looking for a way to protect it while traveling. So, I finally got the Dish Wineguard Pathway X2 and a 211z receiver. To protect the dish while in the back of my pickup(with bed cap) I bought one of these at Amazon:
Protec Heavy Ready 16 x 18 (Height x Diameter), Tom (hgt x Dia) (HR1618). Around $43.
After trying the largest size(I sent it back, way too big). The HR1618 works perfectly for me. It's a snug fit so there is no wasted space. The bag has no extra room on the dia. to fit anything more than a piece of paper between the dish and the inner portion of the bag, but has enough room either on the top of the dish or bottom for the connection cable for the dish. I suppose a 100' cable or more might fit. when rolled to the dia. of the bag or a little smaller.

Since I won't always carry the receiver in the trailer I also got a small padded computer case for the 211z receiver. Found it on Amazon too. AmazonBasics 14-Inch Laptop and Tablet Bag $13.99.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #77
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
DISH Tailgater & Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrreed View Post
I have travelled east and west, north and south and do not have to call. Just put the geo location in the Wally receiver and do the scan.
I do not do local stations I figure that’s what the antenna is for.
You can also activate the service from the receiver too. An internet connection may be required for that. I always have internet service with park or mifi’s and such. Need it for work.
I also have a portable dish Winegard Pathway X2.
Very satisfied with dish and you can pay month to month.
I have a 2018 27' FB and can't figure out how to connect the DISH to my "receiver brought from home" when I hookup the cable from the Tailgater to the outside Satellite connection. Where is the inside connection to run the cable wire from the inside of trailer to the back of the receiver. I have chosen to mount a shelf above the living room/kitchen TV, run a cable from outside through a hole I have drilled inside the refrigerator cabinet and run that cable up to my receiver on the shelf. Then I run a short HDMI cable from Receiver to TV. How did you do yours???
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We have a 20 so only 1 tv. It does get more complicated with 2 tv's.

We swapped out the dvd below the stereo, used the same HDMI to tv connnection. AS terminated the coax from the rear exterior cable/sat connection inside the stereo/dvd cabinet. The wally and the dvd were the same size....just swapped out the velcro from the dvd to hold it in place
I think there are AS instructions posted further back this thread. Pm me if you can't find it. It might still be on the laptop. I got it from JC.

Bob
Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I have a 2018 27' FB and can't figure out how to connect the DISH to my "receiver brought from home" when I hookup the cable from the Tailgater to the outside Satellite connection. Where is the inside connection to run the cable wire from the inside of trailer to the back of the receiver. I have chosen to mount a shelf above the living room/kitchen TV, run a cable from outside through a hole I have drilled inside the refrigerator cabinet and run that cable up to my receiver on the shelf. Then I run a short HDMI cable from Receiver to TV. How did you do yours???
See post my post #72 above and earlier threads here...all your questions should be answered.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #80

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've been a long time Dish subscriber (20+) years. I bought a Tailgater and a 211z receiver almost 6 years ago and have no real issues. Just a few things I have found. I do deactivate the 211z receiver when I'm not on the road. Cost is $7 a month when the receiver is activated. It is however, prorated. So if I use it for 10 days, I only pay for those 10 days. When I get home I call and have it deactivated. I've never been billed $7 when I use the receiver for less than 30 days.

Secondly I always activate the receiver at home, prior to leaving. First is that fact that I can truly verify that everything is working. Nothing worse than having issues the first night you set up at a campground. Also typically the receiver has to go through a software update if it hasn't been used for a while and it's better to again do that at home where you know you have service. I do use an iPhone app called Transponders that allows me to point my phone to the southwest sky at my campsite and make sure that the 110, 119, and 129 degree Dish western satellites are clear of any obstructions. That way once I connect and power up the 211z receiver to the Tailgater unit, I know that the Tailgater will get the signals it needs. Moving location to location is no problem and no calls need to be made to Dish since your receiver has been activated.

Now my receiver gets the same programming like my home Hopper 3 unit gets. Where the issue of contacting Dish is required outside of activation (at least in the past) was for your local channel subscription. Dish uses spot beam transmissions to aim your local stations to specific locations. For example I am in the St. Louis spot beam so if I'm on the road, the Tailgater would receive St. Louis locals dependent upon my locale. For me the spot beam for St. Louis is an large oval and stretches from almost Chicago all the way down southwest Missouri. So for example when I go on the Moraine View rally in a few week up near Bloomington Illinois, I can receive St Louis locale stations since I will still be in the St. Louis spot beam area. Now if I was a Chicago Dish owner I'd be able to pick up the Chicago locals since that spot beam overlaps the area.

Now this summer I'll be up in the Mackinaw City area of Michigan.
There are 3 spot beams that overlap that area and I can call Dish have have them make a swap for me to get locals up there if I wish. St. Louis that far up in Michigan cannot be seen. The caution for swapping spot beams is that Dish makes that swap for the account not for a specific receiver. So if you are like me and have home Dish service and go out of town, asking for a local swap on your account will make your home receiver lose the connectivity with local stations there. That may not be an issue if no one is home, but if you are recording locals at home, your Dish receiver at home will not record those locals until you change it back once you get home or upon departure for home.

Just a couple of other things. First Dish has a new Tailgater type unit that has the ability to receive either the western arc Dish satellites or the Eastern arc satellites. That dual arc dish unit is a little more expensive but works well for this folks who camp up in the New England area where it may be difficult to reach the western arc satellites.

Secondly understand that most of the self aiming Direct TV dishes that look like the Dish Tailgater cannot receive HD broadcasts. I went round and round with a Direct TV marketer in Costco about this issue. Every self aiming unit he showed me that said HD, were actually only capable of SD (once your read the technical specs in fine print). When he finally found one it was a boat unit that cost $2,500. Now there are roof mounted and portable units (but you need to aim these) that can pick up Direct HD. He finally gave up trying to sell me Direct because he could not find a competitive on the ground unit that could self aim and get HD signals.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote