Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
Thanks Don, yes it is 'Dish Outdoors'. Month by month, no charge for pausing. Locals are $10/mo. on all packages except the Welcome Pack, where they are included. Sorry for not being more precise!
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
I've played with all kinds of satellite TV , internet , small dishes , big dishes - 14' etc.
Longer list than above .
Its all a rip-off , over charging bs , unless your will to pay .
They get away with the rip-off , many different ways - making is complicated , choices , not letting the consumer know whats / what - part of that is many of the service poeple are clueless etc.
The main reason they get away with ripping us off , is all of the above .
A big part of this thread is when first getting an account - getting it setup for either mobile or home .
I might still play , but can not afford there BS of above one step of service , then add internet - I am not going to / or can't pay $100 - $200 + per month .
I get unlimited internet now through the cell phone system now for $5 month .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have had Direct TV for many years at home, but the morons that work there now, especially with ATT taking over, do not understand the term "mobile" for travel trailers of motor homes! All that company understands is sales and billing, period!! I recently purchased Dish Network with Wally receiver and portable Tailgater as a "package deal" for $375 at Camping World! Everyone I have talked to at Camping World said Dish has their act together when it comes to mobile applications with a TT or RV. They do! Set up is straight forward and you are up and running with a simple call. I will switch my home system from Direct to Dish end of the summer when I get back to TX.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
This has been a mixed bag as far as what everyone thinks and suggestions about the systems. I guess I should have checked into the Direct TV usage a little further before selling it. That national usage plan sounds like what I needed. Too bad the company does not advertise a little more and let it's customers know that they have a choice of plans.
Looks like that when I do pull the trigger again on a system I'll probably go with Dish because of their HD capabilities with the dishes. My Direct TV system could not do HD.
I wonder if Dish has a way we can travel and not do the call in to get their signal? Seems like one person who posted on this thread said he traveled 1400 miles and didn't have to call in to Dish for the signal more than once. So maybe Dish has a special plan that covers it for a few extra bucks?

I'd like to hear more from people who travel thru several states and never have to talk to their satellite company. It doesn't seem very common, and I'm interested on how you do it
With the DISH system the "only call that's necessary is the initial setup". No other call is required....."unless 'you wish to view the LOCAL CHANNELS FOR THE AREA YOU ARE VISITING". it's a very simply system. You park, set the SAT outside with a clear view of the "southern sky". Go inside turn on the TV..the dish does it's thing...you tell it what state your in"....that's it.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I have the CW wally/tailgater setup but have not activated initially with pay as you go until our next trip. My understanding talking to the dish outdoors folks is that there is a new app that you can use to change your zip code as needed to get the true local channels.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have my questions ready to ask the Dish provider when I order their service. All of you have provided me with some of your know how about these dish systems and how to get what I want from it without having to call into their phone number every night. Also thanks for letting me know the type of units you have and which ones work well.
As soon as my current contract with the stationary Fios/Verizon is over I'll do a switch to Dish TV for the house as well as the travel trailer.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Compare the Directv Genie vs. Dish "Hopper 3" Capabilities

I've used both Directv and Dish over the years. Both have pro's and con's. So it depends on YOUR preferences. I switched to Dish recently, mainly because their "Whole home DVR" meets my needs better.

For me, I want to be able to get satellite reception, especially when I don't have access to wifi, and both providers have comparable offerings.

However, when I DO have access to wifi or a strong LTE signal, the Dish Hopper 3 "Whole home DVR' back home enables me to access ALL my recorded content on the Hopper 3 from my RV, WHEN I have wifi, or a good LTE signal on my smart phone hot-spot. I could not do that with the Directv Genie whole home DVR. I had to download the content to my tablet, smart phone or laptop BEFORE I left home.

What I had to give up in switching from Directv to Dish was local channels. I cannot get them when I am away from my local home area. With Directv you can get locals. I get around that with Dish by recording the local channel programming I want on the DVR, and then I can view it remotely, as described in the preceding paragraph.

And then there is the option to include over the air "Local" channels via your OTA antenna on your rig.

I also like the ability to stop paying the $7/mo. receiver cost if I am not going to use it for some months. And it is independent of you 2 year Dish contract.

Other people responding here, have done a good job of describing other differences, so I won't repeat them.
kmuinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmuinch View Post
I've used both Directv and Dish over the years. Both have pro's and con's. So it depends on YOUR preferences. I switched to Dish recently, mainly because their "Whole home DVR" meets my needs better.

For me, I want to be able to get satellite reception, especially when I don't have access to wifi, and both providers have comparable offerings.

However, when I DO have access to wifi or a strong LTE signal, the Dish Hopper 3 "Whole home DVR' back home enables me to access ALL my recorded content on the Hopper 3 from my RV, WHEN I have wifi, or a good LTE signal on my smart phone hot-spot. I could not do that with the Directv Genie whole home DVR. I had to download the content to my tablet, smart phone or laptop BEFORE I left home.

What I had to give up in switching from Directv to Dish was local channels. I cannot get them when I am away from my local home area. With Directv you can get locals. I get around that with Dish by recording the local channel programming I want on the DVR, and then I can view it remotely, as described in the preceding paragraph.

And then there is the option to include over the air "Local" channels via your OTA antenna on your rig.

I also like the ability to stop paying the $7/mo. receiver cost if I am not going to use it for some months. And it is independent of you 2 year Dish contract.

Other people responding here, have done a good job of describing other differences, so I won't repeat them.

Kmuinch

I too have Directv at home and on the road. When I leave my home area I can NOT get local channels. Just wondering how you are able to receive local channels when on the road. I’d love to be able to do this too. Are you subscribed to the National Network Feeds? I’ve read that’s possible on Directv. Maybe it’s something new or I’ve been misinformed. Thanks in advance for any help
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
New Meadows , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I am interested in purchasing a new dish system at this time. I need some help in my decision making process.
I used to have a Direct TV system and found it to be a big bother, especially dealing with the service people from their company by phone each time I moved the trailer to a different location (from state to state) and tried to get access to their signal. My dish would hone in on the satellite right away but, to acquire access to use their signal was another story, and usually took an hour or more talking to a moron on the phone who is supposed to be a pro. Can you tell I'm still angry even though it has been years since I actually used it? Anyway,,,,
I have sold the Direct TV system and I now I want something better and I think Dish is the brand to go with. There are a lot of new systems out there and I just want something better than what I've had. I now am looking at HD Dish systems and would like a recommendation from all of you with experience with their set up, and equipment.
Thanks for your help!
We’ve had Dish mobile for about 4 yrs. I could have made the same post as you just did, just replace DirectTV with Dish! Dish phone support is HORRIBLE. Dish has just come out with a new app that they claim lets you change your zip code to get the local channels. We have not tried that yet.
Good luck.

Bob
rncordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If you are on the road with Directv, you can subscribe to the national network feeds for a few bucks a month. This lets you trot out your Kingquest (or similar self pointing antenna), hook it up and in ten minutes you have tv. No need to call anyone or do anything different.
To get this DNS service(Distance network service) you have to fill out a form saying you cannot receive any local network channels by antenna in the area you are at.
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Directv

Have Directv dish mounted on portable tripod. I take one of the receivers out of my home when traveling and set up and align dish with whatever angle I need to for best signal. I do have a signal finder, not expensive. Everything but local channels when traveling and you can get these if you have A/B switch to go back to Wineguard antenna on your Airstream.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
Question for Kmuinch. If you get your dvr recordings on your smartphone how do you than transfer it to the TV screen in the rv?
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Understand last post was 90 days back, however. We had been looking for satellite system for the road. Being a DISH customer for 20 plus years it needed to be a DISH set up. There are many options we found out.

We settled on the Pathway X2 w/a Wally receiver. The X2 can access both West and East coast satellites, HD and non HD programing. Using the Smart Phone to locate North/South, use an APP on the Smart Phone for locating the satellites and interference if any, connect the coax cable, and the antenna automatically locates and locks on to the satellites. Note some satellite antenna's require a power source at the antenna. The X2 is powered by the coax.

We love it...................

Safe Travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
New Meadows , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Understand last post was 90 days back, however. We had been looking for satellite system for the road. Being a DISH customer for 20 plus years it needed to be a DISH set up. There are many options we found out.

We settled on the Pathway X2 w/a Wally receiver. The X2 can access both West and East coast satellites, HD and non HD programing. Using the Smart Phone to locate North/South, use an APP on the Smart Phone for locating the satellites and interference if any, connect the coax cable, and the antenna automatically locates and locks on to the satellites. Note some satellite antenna's require a power source at the antenna. The X2 is powered by the coax.

We love it...................

Safe Travels and best regards
Glad it is working out for you. We have had our Dish Tailgater system for about 4 years and FINALLY it is working well. Probably the biggest improvment just this year is the "MyDish" app which lets you change your own local channels as you travel around the country, and it works great!

Bob
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thumbs up

Sbowman,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience about the type of dish and network to use. I came to the same conclusion after sifting through all the above posts and comparing it with the way we like to travel, both East and West, it seems the best way to go.
Now that you verified it for me, I'm closer to an actual purchase. I hope to get a system for Christmas.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rncordy View Post
Glad it is working out for you. We have had our Dish Tailgater system for about 4 years and FINALLY it is working well. Probably the biggest improvment just this year is the "MyDish" app which lets you change your own local channels as you travel around the country, and it works great!

Bob

Bob any insight on the app for changing the zip to local channels. I downloaded the app (from the amazon store for the Kindle Fire) but could not locate where to change the service address. From CS received responses from yes you can to no you can't re changing the service on the app or website for that matter. They confirmed I could change it by phone (after getting thru the phone tree maze).

We bought the tailgater with Wally and had it installed by CW where the blue-Ray was located. Worked great i the CW service bay. Taking it to the coast this weekend but our reserved spot may not be clear enough to the south. We'll see.

Somebody mentioned both E & W satellites. AS I understand it the Tailgater will get both as well but we need to adjust for the state at the setup for each sites as opposed to some models doing it automatically.

Bob
Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
Since this thread is back up thought I would revive my last question. Does anyone know how you can download a show to your tablet and than watch it on the AS tv. Thanks. or even better a show that is on your iphone dvr and get it to play.
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_ron777 View Post
Since this thread is back up thought I would revive my last question. Does anyone know how you can download a show to your tablet and than watch it on the AS tv. Thanks. or even better a show that is on your iphone dvr and get it to play.
Not sure if this answers your question, but I use Apple TV to do this with my iPhone. Just plug the Apple TV into the HDMI port on your TV. Your iPhone has "screen Mirroring" that will connect to your Apple TV and the display from your phone will also be on your TV. Works the same with a Mac or iPad. You did mention an iPhone in your post, so hope this helps
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
New Meadows , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Bob any insight on the app for changing the zip to local channels. I downloaded the app (from the amazon store for the Kindle Fire) but could not locate where to change the service address. From CS received responses from yes you can to no you can't re changing the service on the app or website for that matter. They confirmed I could change it by phone (after getting thru the phone tree maze).

Bob
=======

I have been successfully changing my local channels on our current trip, about 20 times. The app is easy, once you break its code! Here is what I do. I also added some info about my satellite finder app.

1, Be sure you have the “MyDish” app and an account (password, etc)
2. Sign in, my password is four numbers.
3. At the very bottom of the opening screen there are 5 menu items, tap on the center one, “Services”
4. On the Services page scroll down a ½ page and under “DISH OUTDOORS”, tap on “Manage Local Channels”.
5. On the next page, tap on the red button, “Manage Locals”
6. Then follow precisely the on-screen instructions. Dish determines where you are through your phone so your “Location Services” (or equivalent on a non-iPhone) must be turned on. You will have to manually enter on the app the location info from your receiver. On my receiver double clicking the menu button on my remote will bring up the receiver info with its location info. That process may be different for other receivers and remotes.

Also, to check to see if the important satellites are in view, I use a free app on my iPhone called “SatFinderLite”. For me I only use sat #110, 119 and 129. If I can “see” those clearly (on the app) with no interference (tree branches, etc) I will get all my subscribed channels and High Definition. For some reason, a lot of time I don’t get HD, I think that is a satellite #129 issue but I’m not positive.

Good luck! Hope that helps!

Bob
Old 09-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Wonderful, thanks Bob!