Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Dish Network installation Problem

We signed up for Dish network service for my 2005 Classic and was told during installation, that the cable hookup and coax from the exterior of the trailer (mine is located in the panel covering the power cable) would not support the 19 volt current that runs the Dish system. According to the Dish network installation tech, the 19 volt current could burn up the inside cable splitter buried in the wall of our Classic.

Since my owner's manual describes how to use this connection and the Dual coax faceplate located under the dining table to install satelite service, I immediately called Airstream customer service for assistance. The instructions also said that it was necessary to turn off the antenna booster to make this system work. To make sure they had the right information, Airstream (Jim Parrot) conference called the splitter manufacturer representative who concurred that it was possible that this current could burn up the splitter, particularly if the antenna booster was accidently turned on while the satelite receiver was connected. Thanks to the professionalism of the Dish installer we aborted the installation and I am in the process of canceling the Dish account.

The installer said he could drill through the bottom of the trailer and run a cable dedicated to the living room tv, but I was uncomfortable with drilling new holes through aluminum.

If any of you have any similar experiences with a satelite installation, I would really appreciate hearing from you on how you solved the problem.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
We used a portable dish and bought a flat coax connector piece that we ran through a window opening. You may find that you need to move the satellite dish around to find a clear opening to view the satellite. Ours was a 2003 SOB, and the internal coax run thru the trailer would not run the signals to the satellite from the receiver.
Here's a link to Camping World Cable TV Weatherproof Interior/Exterior Connector Kit - Item - Camping World
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If your rig is like mine, you have two battery doors up front. Under each one are two vent holes - plenty of room to fish a cable from the a-frame, into the holes and then under the batteries and into the coach.

At least that's how mine comes in. Also, the good news is that you can use one of the many places that a mouse can come into your trailer - just find a convenient place and fish one from there.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Still looking for feedback from any streamers who have used the Airstream internal coax for running their satelite. Our owner's manual indicates that you turn off the antenna booster, hook sattelite infeed to exterior cable connection and remove the loop on the interior dual coax faceplate. Would like to hear from anyone who has done that and your experiences with this approach to satelite connections.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
VuCube?

I connect a VuCube direct to the coax (cable) connection near the phone jack outside and then connect direct to the sat receiver inside. I never have turned off the antenna booster. Have done this for the last three years with no known issues. I have no idea the current required to operate the VuCube but it does function normally using the power from the receiver, no external power to the dish other than the coax.

It would not surprise me that I am doing this incorrectly, but at this late date I probably won't change my set up unless I am told that I am making a big mistake and am inviting disaster!

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I have a coax just for the dish. Was in stalled by the PO.
I run the Dish Box to an A/B switch. The other input to that switch is from the antenna booster, output is to the TV. That way I can switch the TV from Dish to local broadcast (when available) to get local news and weather.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I would think that the splitter could be switched out if it's a serious issue. The splitter in ours is easily found by pulling off the TV/cable outlet covers under the dinette.
I run a DTV line through the pre-wiring, never an issue. I'm sure it must run the same voltage as DISH.
The other lines (2) I snaked directly to the bigger DVR tuner through the refrigerator service door.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I have Direct TV and I use the internal cable. I connect to the antenna input next to the power cable and my output is the top connector next to the amplifer. The signal does not go through the booster box. For my rear tv I ran a saparate cable out the storage compartment in the rear. My LBN on antenna supports two TVs.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I echo CSTAR'S results, no problems at all. Do not turn on boosrer as it is only needed for over the air broadcasts.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Am I missing something here? I have a DishNetwork box that is plugged into 110v in my shop. Use the same box hooked up to a KingDome and plugged into 110v in the AS. There's a front TV and a rear TV hooked to the output on the DishNetwork box. Works fine.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I have Dish and use the built in coax assembly without problems. I do not use the antenna amplifier, but it has been "bumped" on a time or two while my Dish receiver was on. No problems.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Dish TV Installation and Logitech 5.1 speaker system

Thanks for all of the input you have provided me on the Dish installation issue. I aborted the installation based n the first installation technicians concerns about power issues generated by the 18 volts in the Dish System. The next day I figuared out a way to run it direct without drilling aluminum. We installed the cable inside the referigerator access panel which directly accesses the area below the tv installed outside the wall dividing the dining area from the refrigerator. The classic has a pull out drawers under neath the dining seats. Behind the drawer is open space measuring about 15 1/2 inches by about 36 inches and extends all the way under the referigerator. This gave me a perfect place to install the Dish DVR with rf remote completely out of sight and out of the way. A power extension cord up to the 110 volt plate by the tv and a cable down to the box hidden under the seats is now covered by a white line cover so we have no exposed wiring.
While I was at it I relocated my Logitech 5.1 speaker system power system and subwoofer to the same area as the Dish box and eliminated another storage problem at the same time. To those who are unfamiliar with the Logiittech system, it was intended for computer sound systems but works amazing well to improve the sound of a 23" LG high definition tv. Most of these smaller tvs have very weak sound systems, but the Logitech allows you to add surround system that is increaibly powerful. Since my tv does not have output sound connectors a single stereo cord attached to the headphone jack supplies the signal. The system includes a matrix button for system without standard 5.1 sound output connectors that delivers amazing surround sound with a decent amount of subwoofer bass. Bought my system from Amazon for $79 and its worth it weight in gold for giving a much more enjoyable sound experience. If anyone needs anymore input on this let me know.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I use a Dish system on my 23' every time I have hook ups. I only use it for the front TV connection, I connect from the cable in directly to the reciever with the jumper disconnected. So far no problems.
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #14
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Hello,

I recently purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 & single Dish Wally receiver bundle to connect to my 2012 Airstream 27FB International Signature. When I connect the Winegard *directly* to the Wally receiver thru the open door with the provided cable it works flawlessly but when I connect the Winegard to my Airstream exterior cable outlet and connect the Wally receiver to the interior cable outlet in either the living room or the bedroom it does not work.

Also, my ultimate goal is to have (2) Wally receivers:

one in the living room
another in the bedroom

connected to the dual connection Winegard Pathway X2 but the satellite antenna has (2) connections on it vs. only (1) connection on the exterior on the Airstream.

Any ideas on the best way to achieve my connection objectives?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
daveharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 & single Dish Wally receiver bundle to connect to my 2012 Airstream 27FB International Signature. When I connect the Winegard *directly* to the Wally receiver thru the open door with the provided cable it works flawlessly but when I connect the Winegard to my Airstream exterior cable outlet and connect the Wally receiver to the interior cable outlet in either the living room or the bedroom it does not work.

Also, my ultimate goal is to have (2) Wally receivers:

one in the living room
another in the bedroom

connected to the dual connection Winegard Pathway X2 but the satellite antenna has (2) connections on it vs. only (1) connection on the exterior on the Airstream.

Any ideas on the best way to achieve my connection objectives?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
Holy thread resurrection

I don't know what's changed since 2012 but here's what I did to get my Wally to work in the LR and BR.

I connected line #1 of my two outlet DISH to the Sat connection on the outside of my Airstream. I replaced my Samsung DVD player with Wally #1 since that signal is available in LR and BR. The sat signal cable is in the cabinet next to the Samsung. Plug it in and you're golden.

I connected line #2 of my two outlet DISH to the cable connection on the outside of my Airstream. On the inside, I connected Wally #2 to the Cable connection.

Now I can watch Wally #2 in the LR while my wife watches Wally #1 in the BR.

But that's no longer true since we're in Alaska and the DISH doesn't work. But it did in the lower 48
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote