RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I figure if i'm heading into a heavy project than I am also heading wherever there are plenty of towers. Oh the learning curve.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
New Port Richey , Florida
No worries on time slots or simultaneous HD voice calls over cellphone data and a screen sharing session then. As to sharing, I've tried them all and I love Go to Meeting with integrated VoIP. This allows the others on the session to use VoIP also or a dial in telco connection for audio. You can dial in too but headset with VoIP is so much better for having both hands free.
rskunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Bothell , Washington
Cradlepoint by a wide margin. Lew is installing mine next week along with a big solar and lithium bank. We have the IBR900 with LTE-A support, using multiple unthrottled Verizon's UDPs I get through my work, and it work well right out of the box. Great features, fast, auto SIM card switching, and you can set hard data caps if you have a grandfathered UDP where you cannot exceed 100GB/month.

Testing it at home, I get -65dBi LTE signal with just the paddle antennas, where my iPhone next to it gets -108dBi LTE. Wifi coverage with the stick antennas gets my whole 3000sqft house covered well. I will use the Panorama Mag Mount 5-wire antenna, though probably not even needed.

I attempted to use Verizon's AC791L and 7730L Jetpacks, but both were simply too unreliable to use for full-time work use. The AC791L would periodically drop signal and need to be rebooted, while the 7730L would just slow down to nearly unusable speeds.

Going to pick up another IBR900 for my car. It can be powered easily by the fast charging Cellink B LiFePO4 battery typically used to run dashcams.
lcd32bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Fantastic thread

This is the best wireless thread on Airforums. Thanks everyone.

Rskunath, you mentioned some great ideas for getting a good connection without having to get the install seamless. Among those ideas was using a terrestrial mount for the directional antennae or mounting something to the rear bumper. That would indeed make the install wicked easy. But, do I give up much in terms of signal strength and ability to get a good line of sight to a tower?

-Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post

Rskunath, you mentioned some great ideas for getting a good connection without having to get the install seamless. Among those ideas was using a terrestrial mount for the directional antennae or mounting something to the rear bumper. That would indeed make the install wicked easy. But, do I give up much in terms of signal strength and ability to get a good line of sight to a tower?

-Adam

Adam, I know you asked RSKunath but I'm gonna take a stab.

A roof mount is going to be the least flexible option. It will generally be fixed height and fixed location. Also remember how much height you are adding to the AS for low clearance areas. I'm going to call a roof mount 3rd best

I'm going to call a bumper mount 2nd best if done properly with a collapsible flagpole or something. Still fixed location, but now a lot more flexibility on height.

I'm calling #1 as being a collapsible flagpole with a tire mount. If you have enough cable to work with you can stick it at the front of the AS under the jack and come out either side. You could go our further and park a vehicle on it for stability. Or you could possibly throw it under either side tire of the AS depending on length and cable. Also, consider that a back-in spot may put your rear bumper against or under bushes or lower trees
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #26
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We like the roof mounts and the crank-up tv antenna mount we are using, but agree completely that a collapsible pole approach offers flexibility and a great opportunity to try out a bunch of ideas before doing anything permanent.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
We (before I retired) had a number of the 'Option Cloudgate' units in remote sites. These worked very well, were quite reliable and had some good options like port forwarding etc.

http://www.option.com/#firstPage

These were fixed stations, so we used fairly high gain Yagi antenna with Heliax 1/2" low loss RF cabling.
Quite a few people would use the cell connection at the same time and all traffic was VPN also.

For someone looking, I would also consider these- just because we had tried a few and this was the more reliable and best performer.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
I had commercially tested a number of thenCloudGate units and I still prefer the Cradlepoint devices.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post

-Adam

Actually, you will have increased signal strength. The one caveat is to use low loss coaxial cable between the antenna and the CP device. For shorter runs LMR400 is fine, up to 30 feet I'd say. For longer runs LMR600 (very flexible). Heliax 1/2 inch has higher loss and it's not meant to be flexed regularly as you'd need to on a mobile setup.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Just as a clarification for any non-RF engineer looking at the iPhones -108dBi figure and the CradlePoint with its -65dBi figure, that's a power gain of approximately 20,000 (43dB). Decibels are logarithmic, so relatively small numeric changes in dB translate to huge actual power gains. And that's with the short plastic paddle antenna lcd32bit measured. The gain would be even more impressive with a pair of in-phase yagi antennas outside and low loss coax connecting cable. You can start to see how this soups up a cellular connection over a hand held phone or simple MiFi device. Remember too that there can be significant foliage loss at these frequencies, so a clear shot to the direction of the tower is "free" gain in that you are not suffering additional absorption losses that can be avoided with a foliage free shot to the tower. Note that the signal strengths are negative values, so less is more
Old 02-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Bothell , Washington
Revisiting this thread after 7 months of traveling through the mountains.

We have a pair of CradlePoint IBR900 LTE routers with the LP6 North American modem, and four (special, non-grandfathered, not the new ones) Verizon UDP plans. For the Airstream, we're using a 5-wire Panorama antenna, but didn't end up using the WiFi functionality of the external antenna as we found that the Airstream shell significantly attenuates the WiFi signal. So, we're using a pair of internal 5dBi paddle antennas.

For the Range Rover tow vehicle, we just picked up the Panorama window mount antenna which we have suction cup-mounted and VHB'd to the rear gate, and use the standard paddle 5dBi WiFi antennas. For power within the Rover, we use a pair of Cellink B Gen2 LiFePO4 batteries which lets us power a dash cam for just over 24 hours, and the IBR900 for just under 36 hours. We keep one of the Cellink B batteries charged in the car via. an AC adapter -> Cigarette that we plug into the Airstream.

Overall the routers have been fantastically powerful, reliable, and feature rich. We have the router fail-over between SIMs and as we need to keep our data usage under 100GB per line to be on the safe side. We can also have the router fail-over between modems for seamless switching between carriers if we had purchased the dock with the extra modem slot. We can monitor connectivity statistics and see when events occur.

This is a true enterprise-class router with extreme number of features. I'm impressed, and I'm actually looking to upgrade the Airstream IBR900 to the new AER2200 600M router to get more Gigabit ports, and 3x3 MiMo Gigabit WiFi.

Attaching is a picture of our air-cooled electronics bay in the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	303787  
lcd32bit is offline   Reply With Quote