Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2021 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
Cellular Wifi set up on New 2021's with no fridge vent

So I have read many of the threads in the past talking about the internet options. Almost everyone describes running the antenna wire down the fridge vent. Well, we have a new 2021 Caravel 20FB that no longer has fridge vents because the fridges are all AC/DC.

Couple of questions:
  • Has anyone used Steve at MobileSat to help you with your set up and if so any feedback is truly appreciated?
    He is recommending, in lieu of the Weboost RV Connect 65, the Peplink Max Transit Mini for the modem/router and a MobileMark External antenna. (LTMG408-3C3C3J2C). Also he recommends their cellular plan of 500 GB a month with TMobile for $159.
  • How would you wire the antenna and set up based on the fact that we don't have a fridge vent?
[/LIST]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 11.53.04 AM.png
Views:	77
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	388772  
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
It is a bit of a trade off between a WeBoost and a router with antenna. Most of the time the router/antennae will give you a much better signal - other than the times when you are in a place where you can barely or barely not pick up a cell signal and the WeBoost can bring it in. Since you have a 2021, you should have the prewire set-up for Airstream Connect. Below, I will give the link to a thread with pictures to help you find it. This wiring can be used to connect your rooftop antenna to a Peplink router, although it is only a five wire harness (since that is what Airstream Connect uses). That will impact your choice of antenna and router. See the other thread for more details.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ml#post2449577
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
We have the peplink transit duo and the weboost 65 that we use an omni directional antenna with when needed.

Both serve a different purpose and you may find you need both in some situations.

Are you sure your '21 doesn't come prewired for a cellular modem?

Otherwise I can help you with any questions you have about drilling. Hole in the skin. I did for our 2020 globetrotter as it was produces before prewiring was done.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2021 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely prewired for solar and used that with my solar set up. However, I don't know if I am prewired for cellular. Any tips on how I would recognize that?
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Probably says it on your sticker but if you go to the top of your unit there should be a about 2.25 inch circular disk caulked in there
Old 02-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Hillsboro , Texas
Smoothtaker

I have used both Pepwave and Weboost in the past. Now I use the Smoothtalker , which has better reception. Greater DB gain than Weboost or Pepwave.
grwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
On our ‘20 23FB FC, the outside coax connectors are for cable and satellite. The cable hooks into the Winegard power injector beside the television. The satellite coax was left hanging on the inside of the JL audio cabinet. I will use an adaptor to hook my Weboost RV outside cable to the sat coax and hook it to the booster box stashed behind the JL/Sony. It’s going to be hard to test until we hit the road, but it seems like a simple install.
The Weboost guy told me their outside cable would hook directly to the coax fitting (type A). He was wrong, the supplied cable is type B and I needed to order an adapter.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
On our ‘20 23FB FC, the outside coax connectors are for cable and satellite. The cable hooks into the Winegard power injector beside the television. The satellite coax was left hanging on the inside of the JL audio cabinet. I will use an adaptor to hook my Weboost RV outside cable to the sat coax and hook it to the booster box stashed behind the JL/Sony. It’s going to be hard to test until we hit the road, but it seems like a simple install.
The Weboost guy told me their outside cable would hook directly to the coax fitting (type A). He was wrong, the supplied cable is type B and I needed to order an adapter.
Happy camping!
All depends on the weboost you get. The weboost 65 uses a 75 ohm cable with regular coax and the one you got uses 50 ohm cable with the type B connector.

We got the weboost 65 because the amplifier was better but instead of using the directional antenna we got an omnidirectional that I mounted to a 7 ft marine antenna powered by an actuator on the top of the Airstream.

It works really well.

It uses 50 ohm cable and then I use a 50 to 75 ohm connector into the amp.

The weboost systems are designed to use both 50 and 75 ohm so mixing and matching isn't an issue.

You can see the antenna in the attached pic.

I have a switch mounted inside the Airstream to raise and lower the mast.

We leave the weboost amplifier powered off when not needed if the peplink router has good reception.

In areas with bad reception we will turn on the weboost to give the peplink a little boost.

The other thing mounted to our acuated antenna is a Mikrotik Groove Wi-Fi grabber that is plugged into the WAN port in the peplink so I can grab wifi signals that may be usable (most campground wifi isn't usable)

At home when I use my Airstream as an office it grabs the home wifi and rebroadcasts over the Airstreams network. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210216_125911.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	388816
Old 06-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Covington , LA
pdavey, can you elaborate on your install? Where did you run the wires and any links to your parts list. I really like your setup and is exactly what I was looking for.
BF_Brewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #10

2021 20' Caravel
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
I have a 2021 Caravel 20FB and recently had the dealership install
Airstream Connect. It is a collaboration between Airstream and AT&T. The trailer was pre wired so installation of the shark fin antenna did not take long and because the dealership installed it my warranty is still in place. It turns the trailer into a Wi-Fi and works great. It boosts signals and we can work easily on our computers outside of the camper. AT&T permits stop and start based on month to month subscription.
DefendHoney is offline   Reply With Quote