Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
Question Can you run a Cell Booster through the Cable/Sat port?

Hello,

I'm playing around with the Weboost RV Connect 65 and I was wondering if it is possible to use the cable/sat port on the outside of my 2015 19' International Serenity to connect the external antenna to the booster inside. I don't really use the TV much and was hoping I could use that port so I dont have to worry about all the other hoops you appear to have to jump through to get cables inside. I tried really quickly but it appeared my booster was not connecting on all bands like it was when connected directly to the outside antenna. I read I should not use the "booster" on the coax plate on b/c that is to boost the OTA antenna, so with that off....

1) Will these ports work? They all seem like regular coax
2) Should I connect to the Cable or Sat port (what is the difference?)

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for helping educate this n00b.
febbraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Yes you can. I did the same thing when I first bought it. I ran the antenna through the sat port and used the loose end of the satallite cable in the back cabinet to connect to the booster where I wired it directly to 12v with a switch. I ran the inside antenna right above the cabinets.

The TV port likely won't work as buried behind the wall is a booster you would have to contend with. The Sat port is your best bet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_084833.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	381712Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_084838.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	381713Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_084848.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	381714
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
So does the cable/sat port on the outside not route through the same internal port as the crank up roof antenna?

It sounds like for your setup the sat connection is different then boosted roof antenna setup?
Old 10-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
Or does the cable connection run to the same port as the TV antenna and the satellite port runs elsewhere (possibly to where the DVD player is located?)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by febbraro View Post
Or does the cable connection run to the same port as the TV antenna and the satellite port runs elsewhere (possibly to where the DVD player is located?)
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
That is correct. The catv antenna runs directly to a booster and splits to the TV or TVs if you have two. The Sat antenna is a loose cable usually in the back cabinet where the radio/dvd is depending on your model.

The Sat is 75 ohm just like the cable for the weboost.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lincoln , CA
As already recommended, your best bet is to use the sat connector. This cable should run to a void behind where your DVD player is located. The cable is not connected to anything inside the coach from the factory. The cable is just routed into a rats nest of cabling behind the DVD player. Once you access the void, the cable should be labeled. The TV port cable does not route to the same location. Not sure about your specific coach, but my TV cable runs to location behind the wall where main television is mounted. There is a splitter to second television, and an air antenna booster/switch wired in as well. In my opinion the TV cable would be a real pain to access and use. One other consideration...the Airstream TV/SAT ports both use 75 ohm cabling. I believe the booster system you have uses the 75 ohm impedance for outdoor antenna and cable, so you should be good to go. For others reading this thread, just do your homework before planning to use the TV/SAT ports. Some cell booster systems use 50 ohm impedance outdoor antenna and cable which will not work with the TV/SAT ports due to impedance mismatch. Hope this answers your question.
CoastieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Currently Looking...
Winter Park , Florida
I run the WeBoost RV Connect 65 through my SAT cable on my AS 23 FB. Since I have a tracking SAT dish permanently mounted on my roof, I did not need the SAT jack for an external dish. I placed the RV Connect internal antenna inside the compartment where the Radio is located in the overhead bin. I routed the RV Connect amp down from the bin onto the wall of my dinette. I made some mounts for the pole antenna that attach to my awning mount to mount the staff securely. The stick-on mounts provided in the RV Connect kit did not stick to the side of my AS for very long.

The WeBoost RV Connect 65 works as advertised. It increased the signal strength to my hotspot and cell phones inside my AS. As a computer consultant, I need all the bandwidth I can get.
mwodzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #9

2020 25' Globetrotter
Gaithersburg , Maryland
Yes you Can!

I just did a video installing a WeBoost and used the SAT cable connection. You have to buy a adapter. I will post the adapter and video below.

Coax adapter I was not 100% sure which one so I bought this variety kit. Had everything I needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you have any questions.
Bmille05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwodzinski View Post
I made some mounts for the pole antenna that attach to my awning mount to mount the staff securely.
Could you show us a picture of your mount?
How long does it take you to setup your antenna?
Do you take it down when you leave your trailer unattended?

Thanks!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Better yet do a YouTube video!!
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Currently Looking...
Winter Park , Florida
WeBoost RV Connect Cell Booster

I’d post pictures or a video but my AS is currently in storage. I am currently upgrading my stereo to 5.1 and TVs to 4K so I’ll try to get some pictures in a couple of weeks.

One of the previous responders seemed to be confused about the SAT external connection. A satellite dish and SAT receiver is needed to receive a SAT signal. The TV antenna receives terrestrial (formerly analog but now digital) RF TV signals. The TV antenna signal goes to the antenna port on the TV. The SAT signal goes through a SAT receiver (e.g., Dish, DirectTV) and then the decoded signal goes to the TV through the HDMI cable. To switch between both the SAT signal and the Blu-ray player, a HDMI switch is needed (fairly cheap on Amazon or Best Buy) or you can switch the cables manually. The external SAT cable port is needed only if a satellite dish is added.

It’s nice that Airstream installed the SAT cable since installing one through the bulkheads after manufacture would be a very time consuming and labor intensive task ($$$$$$$). A previous owner of my AS had a professionally installed tracking Satellite dish with a separate cable through the roof.

- Mike
mwodzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Now this conversation has me thinking is the resistance in the television cable on my 2007 Safari correct for a WeBoost?
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Depends on which weboost and antenna you get. The weboost 65 was designed to be able to work with 50 and 75 ohm.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwodzinski View Post
I run the WeBoost RV Connect 65 through my SAT cable on my AS 23 FB. Since I have a tracking SAT dish permanently mounted on my roof, I did not need the SAT jack for an external dish. I placed the RV Connect internal antenna inside the compartment where the Radio is located in the overhead bin. I routed the RV Connect amp down from the bin onto the wall of my dinette. I made some mounts for the pole antenna that attach to my awning mount to mount the staff securely. The stick-on mounts provided in the RV Connect kit did not stick to the side of my AS for very long.

The WeBoost RV Connect 65 works as advertised. It increased the signal strength to my hotspot and cell phones inside my AS. As a computer consultant, I need all the bandwidth I can get.
Thanks Mike.
I would love to see how you attach that pole. I bought a WeBoost Drive X RV and was wondering if I could attach it similarly. Please post that when you do your improvements.
Dan
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Littleton , Colorado
Interesting method I hadn’t considered.

We too use the WeBoost. It is in the near useless cabinet above the fridge in our 2017 28’ International. I usually pop the cabinet door when in use as it is quite warm.

Ran the antenna wire out of the fridge vent and mounted the omni antenna on the roof. Ran a second coil of cable to connect to a pole mounted directional antenna. Pole slides into a PVC tube attached to the flag pole mount on our tongue.

Gives us plenty of freedom to work from the road when combined with our hotspot. No media streaming, just web, email, and the occasional video call. Also enhances all our phone signals

Good product.
icebox500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmille05 View Post
I just did a video installing a WeBoost and used the SAT cable connection. You have to buy a adapter. I will post the adapter and video below.

Coax adapter I was not 100% sure which one so I bought this variety kit. Had everything I needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you have any questions.
Very helpful. But I missed what the coax adapter is for. Can you say more about that please? Thank you!
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Where were you guys 4 months ago! I did exactly what is being recommended...connectors etc. the system works great. I only use the booster when necessary, so I do not permanently mount my antenna. I use small C-clamps...purchased at HD. Then attach to the awning. You can use a couple Velcro straps to hold all the cords together when storing in the closet, use the same straps to attach coax to the uprights. ***If you do this, be sure to mount it so it won’t damage your AS if someone inadvertently closes the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1C5DB3-1373-4B14-9157-7B2AE30EAB24.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	384259  
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #19
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
There are multiple types of weboost. Some like the Weboost 65 use the regular 75 ohm cable (the type in the AS cable port).

The one pictured in the last post is a 50 ohm cable. That requires a 50-75 ohm coax connector.

All Weboost products according to them are built with the tolerances to support either 50 or 75 ohm regardless of the product.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox500 View Post
Interesting method I hadn’t considered.

We too use the WeBoost. It is in the near useless cabinet above the fridge in our 2017 28’ International. I usually pop the cabinet door when in use as it is quite warm.

Ran the antenna wire out of the fridge vent and mounted the omni antenna on the roof. Ran a second coil of cable to connect to a pole mounted directional antenna. Pole slides into a PVC tube attached to the flag pole mount on our tongue.

Gives us plenty of freedom to work from the road when combined with our hotspot. No media streaming, just web, email, and the occasional video call. Also enhances all our phone signals

Good product.
You have the Weboost 65 or 50? Could you not connect to the satellite input on the side of the trailer which comes out under the DVD player above the L couch, instead of running the cable through the refrigerator vent? We are still planning our purchase and install. Thanks.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote