Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
What happens to current weboost when the new 5G kicks in?
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
I was recently selected by T-Mobile for home internet service. The campground where I full-time has excellent T-Mobile coverage, so I will bring my home internet box here with me to substitute for the Airstream Connected device which now AT&T has decided they will no longer offer unlimited/unthrottled performance.

Sitting inside my Airstream, I'm getting 3-bars on my iPhone which allows me to stream AT&T Now to my Apple TV and then to my 65-in projector which is awesome. This gives me TV without necessarily having internet, but I still have lost usefulness of the Airstream Connected install (which cost me $2k). I'd hope the Airstream Connected would pull in 4G/LTE signals, but it doesn't seem to do so. What a bummer.

Do I need a boost to my three bars into my aluminum can? I'm getting 20 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up without a booster.

Stay tuned on the T-Mobile option. I'm hopeful.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Have looked at great info at www.rvmobileinternet.com and for me it comes down to Weboost Reach to get better cell signal and use iPhone hotspot to watch Fire tv and use laptop some, or to look at MIMO antenna router like jet pack (and to notch antenna) for better up and down speed. What I am not sure is if a jet pack will increase cell reception for calling as much as Weboost. Do I need jet pack and Weboost? Nights in AS maybe 30-45/yr

May just spend the $85 for yr subscription to rvmobileinternet and ask away there.
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #24
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
There are apps available and I believe Mobile Internet Research/Technomadia has an app available on ITunes.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have a very simple, one device WeBoost that was under $100.

Only for my phone, but it keeps me connected most of the time.

Maggie

Hey Maggie, could you please provide a link to the WeBoost that you use for your phone?

Thanks, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
What happens to current weboost when the new 5G kicks in?
Hi

Best guess - it works fine. They are just amplifying the signal and not doing anything specific to a data rate.

Given the roll out speed on 5G, my guess is that it will be a *long* time before this is an issue at the typical campsite.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Hey Maggie, could you please provide a link to the WeBoost that you use for your phone?

Thanks, Dan
I don’t find one, and the WeBoost is in the RV, so I don’t have access to it right now.

I’ve had it about 2 years, and am certain I did not pay $300-$400 for it, but the cheapest I see googling is over $200.

I was thinking I paid $79.95 or so.

This looks like what I have, very simple, and it works very well...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/weBoost-4...-4G-S/44376611

A magnetic antennae you put outside, has to be plugged in to power or the 12volt to work.

I think I’ve posted about it before, and I’ll try to find that.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #28
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
How do you find the closest cell tower? The stationary weboost looks like you have to point the antenna towards the cell tower? How do you know you are spot on?

Thanks,
Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found an old post, that I have a WeBoost Drive 4G-S, and apparently for more than 2 years.

I think it is the one currently shown at WalMart for $213.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
How do you find the closest cell tower? The stationary weboost looks like you have to point the antenna towards the cell tower? How do you know you are spot on?

Thanks,
Glenn
I just slap the antennae on the roof of the Interstate, and it finds the tower on its own.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Pittsburg , Texas
There is so much information on their website and their You Tube videos, that you may can make a decision without joining their annual program. They have an updated video on comparing cell boosters.
Linda71air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Pittsburg , Texas
There's website to find cell towers near you. I'll try to find it. I used for my lake lot and At&T and Version both had a tower in the city nearest me, but only Verizon had a tower in the city on the other side of my place. Although, there are 2 Verizon towers and 1 At&T, I get zero bars Verizon and 1 bar of At&T inside my Airstream. That 1 bar is only by a certain window, but I can stream Netflex with that one bar. I figure if I get a booster, I'll be able to at least get that same one bar through out the Airstream and put the phone where I can see it better for movies. Fingers Crossed.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Pittsburg , Texas
Here is the cell search website I used:
Cellreception.com You can search by zip or city.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda71air View Post
Here is the cell search website I used:
Cellreception.com You can search by zip or city.
Where?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Boosting phone and internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Best guess - it works fine. They are just amplifying the signal and not doing anything specific to a data rate.

Given the roll out speed on 5G, my guess is that it will be a *long* time before this is an issue at the typical campsite.

Bob

5G works uses a frequency significantly different compared to existing cellular frequencies. I would be surprised if any of the existing boosters that do not specify support for 5G will work.

Additionally the deployment of 5G is very different. The equipment is much smaller and lower power (think one on top a light pole every few blocks). The coverage provided by a single 5G site is very small. As a result the primary 5G areas for years to come will be urban areas. Unless the camp ground you are staying at is in a larger urban area, don’t expect to see 5G signals at a camp ground for a long time.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
I’m not an expert so if anything I say is incorrect then I hope someone will correct me.

I’ve been looking into 5G lately. First, it’s important to understand that 5G is a standard. The hype about the speed and capacity will only be realized when the 5G standard is paired with the right hardware and on the right frequencies. 5G can and is widely available now (as of earlier this month) through T-Mobile; however, their deployment is not using the frequencies that provide the high speed and capacity typically stated when talking about 5G. In fact, they’re only quoting a marginal improvement in speed (20%).

I’m pretty sure that you will need new 5G capable phones and hot spots to connect to a 5G network. As for the Weboost, I simply do not know enough to even guess whether it would work with 5G or not. I would love to know the answer.
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
From Weboost
5G Ready - weBoost boosters will work for the next decade and beyond.

Whatever that may mean
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
WeBoost Antennae

The WeBoost company offers 3 types of signal boosters and two types of antennae. Two of the models have omnidirectional antenna and one is directional. I'm kind of lazy, I chose an omnidirectional model. What I didn't do was mount the antenna to my Airstream. It's mounted on an extendable painter's pole. I can get the antenna up to 27 feet above the ground with no problem. I did put heavy-duty clips with 3-M style sticky tape (pull a tab downward to unstick the tape) onto the side of the camper to hold the pole. When everything else is set up I just raise the pole and clip it w/antenna already mounted to the side of the camper. The cable off the antenna slipped through an electrical conduit hole at the front of the camper. It all works pretty good when I set up my iPhone as a hotspot. Data signals have been great through it.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:39 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
DAVSCH- Could you please post a photo of your setup sometime?

Maggie- Thanks for your help.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
After traveling across the country extensively and using the Verizon hotspot we had our local AS dealer install the new Airstream Connect with a dedicated internal router and roof mounted antenna. You set up your personal and secure wifi hotspot and the wireless service is through AT&T. You can pay monthly or annually with unlimited data. The signal is strong enough to reach our tow vehicle.

Although we have not used it extensively yet we ran into several AS owners on the road last summer that had it and are etremely happy. I also replaced our two tv's with smart tv's and can log into netflix, amazon prime, etc.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote