Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Anyone Using a Winegard from a Tripod Outside?

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Path...satellite+dish

Hoping Black Friday might have deals on these units. I am not planning to mount it on the top of the trailer, not going to make cuts but would instead set it out in our campsite and run the cable into the trailer.

What are folks' reviews of this setup, and how does the "pay as you go" service work? What all is available to view with the Dish Pay as you Go?

Do we like this setup? Pros and cons, please.
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I have this unit. It works good without a tripod. But, I think sometimes I could use it to get it up over some stuff like fences or shoot it over trees.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
And how does the pay as you go do for you? Is it a monthly deal, and what are the rates?
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Acually it not my account. My son has the account and he add the portable to his account for $7 a month. What’s not to like for $7?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Decided on Dish for the ability to subscribe on a rolling 30 days basis. I have this antenna with the Wally receiver, works great. You cannot mount this one on the roof. After reading various reviews the Pathway X2 was rated best in the price range probably because of the larger dish and I did get the tripod to get it off the ground and ease of leveling it on an incline.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We used it last winter from Key West. I have the tri-pod base that sets the unit about 20" off the ground. The pay as you go worked well and runs in the neighborhood of $42/mo. That's for the basic service plus a little for local channels. I plan to re-connect when / if we get back this winter. It worked well last winter so long as you can get a nice clear shot at the southern sky.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I have the Winegard X2 and usually just sit it on the ground. I have used the tripod a couple of time to get a better shot over a tall MH or 5th wheel blocking the southern sky. I use a cable to secure the antenna.
I use DISH and, overall, am happy with it. If it has not been used in a while, it takes a while for it to reload everything so don't get impatient. I added their drv so I could record shows, but you can't record and watch a different channel at the same time. Using the X2, I could probably get around that limitation by running a second coax but I haven't tried it.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Love the X2, tripod or not. And the Dish pay-as-you-go is 7 bucks a month - prorated, even - and gives you everything you get at home, as long as you can see the satellites.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
pathway x2

2016 airstream will the pathway x2 work just attaching to the cable connection on the trailer and power up.confused on some of these posts
Paul V
Carreiro
miskeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by miskeeta View Post
2016 airstream will the pathway x2 work just attaching to the cable connection on the trailer and power up.confused on some of these posts

Paul V

Carreiro

Yes it just connect to the outside coaxle. The one marked SAT. But, on the inside you have to remove the DVD player box. Under it is the other end of the SAT cable. This is where you connect your receiver.