Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
Any experiences with Tailgater Portable Satellite System by Dish?

This is fairly new. Does anyone have feedback they would be willing to share on using the Tailgater Portable Satellite System by Dish with an Airstream?
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bought one to make sure it would work while trailer was on the dealer lot when I took delivery of the trailer. I also modified the audio/tv area with a switch to be able to put the Dish show on either TV (lounge or bedroom). This s a single TV device, so only one TV can display a Dish program at a time. Switch also allows moving DVD output to either screen.

Only concern is no loop or tie down place on the unit to keep unit from "walking away" when one it watching TV or overnight.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Got one for Father's Day 2012, and have had a lot of fun with it so far. Have used it several times and it works fine. Just keep in mind that your site must have a clear southwestern view of the sky and it will work great (no trees in the way). We're keeping ours and plan to hang on to it for a long time.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We were interested, but got put off by dish network. Check the other / newer available auto satellite finder satellite dish options that will use both networks.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ludowici , Georgia
We use our direct tv one from the bedroom in our house it works great.Made a mount useing a 5 gal bucket with a peice of PVC pipe half full of concrete the dirt .Then not so heavy work good I think.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
We have had our Tailgater for about 6 months now and love it. We have Dish at home and added the receiver for $7.00/ mo. I have the same programming that I have at home and only have to call Dish, give them the zip code where I am at and I can receive local channels where I am at. The unit does have a ring at the base to put some sort of locking device on. We set ours on a small table by the tongue to keep from being kicked or hit. This also allows us to put a bicycle type security cable around the tongue and to the unit for security.

The only drawback is that if you are not using it all the time, it must stay connected to the receiver and pointed south when not in use. If not, then it will shut off and you will have to call Dish to reactivated programming. Not a big deal to us, we leave it hooked up at home as is we were camping.

One other thing to consider- The Tailgater is the only unit I have found that will "see" through trees. I get excellent reception behind trees or in the clear. Dish network support is above reproach. Always helpful and courteous.

Hope this helps.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've been thinking about this for some time now since we have been long time Dish subscribers. The real benefit to me is the ability to turn off the service for this unit and save the monthly cost when not out on the road. My biggest concern probably would be the security of the unit itself. Obviously without a receiver I'm not sure what value there would be in stealing a unit since it only operates with a specific model Dish network receiver. Is there any identifying internal information that the antenna has that would make it useless if a stolen one is reactivated? When you register it with Dish do they ask for a serial number of the Tailgater?

With the evolving of digital signals, we find having available TV service pretty marginal even though we've upgraded our antenna. I used to be tolerant of fuzzy pictures due to weak signals but the on and off situation since digital has come around is pretty annoying. I bought a signal finder that helps in pointing my antenna for digital, but found that signal quality is so marginal some times that in a wooded area, the wind blowing the limbs of the surrounding trees can kill a digital signal.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Jack,
For $7 dollars a month you don't have to cancel it when not in use. Also, as I stated in previous post, if it is not connected to receiver after 10 days it will deactivate. When reactivation Dish does ask for name account number etc.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Dish

bwoodtx,

You stated that if the dish is not connected to receiver for more than 10 days the service will be deactivated. My question is: must the receiver be powered on for it to maintain connection to the dish and satellite in order not to be deactivated? When I am travelling with my Airstream the (120 vac) power to the receiver would be off and running the inverter just to power the receiver with 120 vac would consume too much battery power.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I would love to have one of these to use maybe 10 weekends a year(tailgating @ games and camping).

Does dish offer a service that would accommodate such infrequent and periodic use?
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
50KIP
As long as the Tailgater is hooked up, "seeing" the southern sky and the receiver plugged in and not "on" everything will be fine. While traveling it is ok because it has to be at least 10 consecutive days before it will lose programming. I have come home from camping and not reconnected my Tailgater for a couple of days, hooked it up and everything was ok.

nsbcpa
Dish has what they call a pay as you go plan. There are different level of programming with varying charges. Bear in mind if you go this route you are charged for a month of programming whether you use it 3 days or 23 days. If you already subscribe to DISH it only costs $7/mo to add the receiver and you get the same programming you have at home.

We looked and compared all makes and models and this was what suited our needs the best. Because we were already subscribed to DISH it made it a no-brainer. Once past the little quirks that are not readily disclosed, ie deactivation, I can load the unit into the camper, get to the campsite, set up and be done and watching TV in 15mins or less.

If you have more questions just ask.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
I recently bought a 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB. It has an external coax satellite connection on the driver's side. Since the Tailgater is powered through the coax cable from the Dish satellite receiver, will the antenna receive power when connected to the external coax connection on the trailer and the satellite receiver connected to the internal coax cable provided? Or is it necessary to run a coax cable from the Tailgater antenna directly to the satellite receiver thus bypassing the external coax connection?

Gerry
GerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I recently bought a 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB. It has an external coax satellite connection on the driver's side. Since the Tailgater is powered through the coax cable from the Dish satellite receiver, will the antenna receive power when connected to the external coax connection on the trailer and the satellite receiver connected to the internal coax cable provided? Or is it necessary to run a coax cable from the Tailgater antenna directly to the satellite receiver thus bypassing the external coax connection?

Gerry
It should work as long depending upon how your trailer is wired. On mine, I have to move a patch cable which will take the trailers preamp out of the circuit. I just got my receiver and Tailgater today. Note this is the new 211z model receiver which is smaller that the 211k which was previously used. Here is a link to some pictures. Check out post 49.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ml#post1282271

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
no problem with the tailgater at all ...... but, issues with Dish. We use Direct at home with three DVRs, but optioned for the Tailgater because of HD instead of SD.

Now, it is $5 to turn it on and $5 to turn it off and that would be okay, but we found out after a few months it has to be on 6 months out of the year or they charge you for it. Not something they mentioned when we signed up. Also, we have had difficulty getting local stations and whomever you get from Dish to turn it on makes a big difference ..... not all seem to be versed in all the tricks.

So, I would not do it again because of the hassle and am thinking of paying the penalty, selling the Tailgater and receiver and buying a Carryout and going to Direct
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
no problem with the tailgater at all ...... but, issues with Dish. We use Direct at home with three DVRs, but optioned for the Tailgater because of HD instead of SD.

Now, it is $5 to turn it on and $5 to turn it off and that would be okay, but we found out after a few months it has to be on 6 months out of the year or they charge you for it. Not something they mentioned when we signed up. Also, we have had difficulty getting local stations and whomever you get from Dish to turn it on makes a big difference ..... not all seem to be versed in all the tricks.

So, I would not do it again because of the hassle and am thinking of paying the penalty, selling the Tailgater and receiver and buying a Carryout and going to Direct
Those charges are because you have no other service with Dish other than the Tailgater and receiver. In our case since we already have Dish service, there is no charge for tuning the receiver on and off. Just a receiver charge of $7 a month when it is active. No minimum usage or charge if it stays off for an extended period. I almost changed to Direct until I found out that their equivalent Tailgater unit cannot pickup Direct's HD satellite. Those units are both built by King Controls and look identical other than the branding decals.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
Jack, I ordered the Tailgater antenna and the the Dish 211z receiver like you have. The items are supposed to be in hand by Thursday, April 11. I have been reading the various posts on this forum, as well as corresponding with you, and I get somewhat confused about the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. There seems to be quite a few variations in the way this is done depending on model and year of the Airstream. For instance, my 2013 FC 25FB has two separate coax inputs on the outside of the trailer. One is specifically labeled for satellite and the other is specifically labeled for cable. On the interior of my trailer, there is just one coax connection on a plate behind the television in the dinette/lounge area. Apparently, some Airstreams have only one coax input on the exterior of the trailer and two coax connections on that interior plate. There is a small wire connected to that from a cable bundle. I assume that is for cable television only. Located with the Blue Ray player is a separate coax cable specifically labled "Satellite." That is to connect to the satellite receiver. At the same location is something called a "2-pin power/ground , which is a two wire bundle described in the owner's manual as part of the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. I have no idea what that connects to. It is my understanding that the Tailgater receives power through the coax cable connected to the satellite receiver, so the 2-pin power/ground wired should not come into play with the Tailgater. I would really appreciate any enlightenment on all of this. The owner's manual is really thin on information.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
jcanavera

Those charges I noted (minimum of six months charges) because I do not have Dish at home must have slipped the mind of the Dish seller when we did the buy.

.... shame on me for not getting them to email me a list of all the charges I would incur.

Cheerz
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Jack, I ordered the Tailgater antenna and the the Dish 211z receiver like you have. The items are supposed to be in hand by Thursday, April 11. I have been reading the various posts on this forum, as well as corresponding with you, and I get somewhat confused about the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. There seems to be quite a few variations in the way this is done depending on model and year of the Airstream. For instance, my 2013 FC 25FB has two separate coax inputs on the outside of the trailer. One is specifically labeled for satellite and the other is specifically labeled for cable. On the interior of my trailer, there is just one coax connection on a plate behind the television in the dinette/lounge area. Apparently, some Airstreams have only one coax input on the exterior of the trailer and two coax connections on that interior plate. There is a small wire connected to that from a cable bundle. I assume that is for cable television only. Located with the Blue Ray player is a separate coax cable specifically labled "Satellite." That is to connect to the satellite receiver. At the same location is something called a "2-pin power/ground , which is a two wire bundle described in the owner's manual as part of the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. I have no idea what that connects to. It is my understanding that the Tailgater receives power through the coax cable connected to the satellite receiver, so the 2-pin power/ground wired should not come into play with the Tailgater. I would really appreciate any enlightenment on all of this. The owner's manual is really thin on information.
I've never messed with the patches or read my manual too closely on this setup. I've connected to park cable TV hookups and the only thing I had to do was keep the preamp turned off. I've got the trailer stored offsite so I'll probably bring the antenna down to it this weekend and see if we need to make any adjustments.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
jcanavera

Those charges I noted (minimum of six months charges) because I do not have Dish at home must have slipped the mind of the Dish seller when we did the buy.

.... shame on me for not getting them to email me a list of all the charges I would incur.

Cheerz
Did you buy from Dish directly or did you go through a reseller? I know some of the resellers are not up to speed on these things. I got my answers in writing on the Dish network support forum prior to ordering my Tailgater and receiver from a Dish reseller. I didn't order the equipment from Dish because they could not guarantee that I would get the 211z receiver. I needed that receiver due to the available space present in my Classic.

I signed a contract with Direct in early December with a reseller, but cancelled within 24 hours after I called Direct customer service and asked the same questions as I did the reseller. It ended up the reseller had given me some information that wasn't correct. Bottom line I cancelled my contract prior to installation and upgraded my Dish hardware. It's time consuming doing the research, but if you aren't careful, you can get tied to some agreements for years which end up not being what you thought you were getting.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
I got my Dish ViP211z receiver and Tailgater antenna in late last week. Since I am already a Dish customer, I just added the receiver to my account for $7 per month. I connected everything up in my 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB and included a Monoprice HDMI 4x2 Splitter/Switch in the satellite/Blu Ray setup. I connected the Tailgater coax to the designated satellite coax input on the outside of the trailer. I am happy to report that everything worked great. The Tailgater was in fact able to receive power through the coax connection on the outside of the trailer. I was uncertain whether or not that would happen. And, with the Monoprice Splitter/Switch, the lounge area television and the bedroom television can be tuned separately to either satellite or Blu Ray. The TV''s are not confined to watching the same program at the same time. I did not have to alter anything with regard to the preamp for local over the air channels. I just have to remember to turn the preamp off when hooked up to the satellite feed (or cable).