Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

2020 27' Globetrotter
Danvers , Massachusetts
Advice on 12V wiring for WeBoost RV65 12v wiring on a 2020 Globetrotter 27

Hi All:

Has anyone hard-wired the 12V power source for the WeBoost RV65 on a 2020 Globetrotter 27FB, and if so what did you connect to?

I have the outside antenna connected to the Sat inlet and found Sat cable behind the radio, so attached the booster to that. Then mounted the indoor antenna by the fan using the flat cable to connect through the storage cabinet door. All works good on 120V but I'd like to be able to run this system without running the inverter when dry camping.

My first thought was that I would piggyback on the USB outlet that's mounted next to the radio only to discover that is a USB input into the radio not a power source. Next I hoped there would be a spare 12V wire in that mess of wires behind the speakers, but it appears not. Am I missing it?

There is a pair of wires (yellow/red and white) that are labelled "Accent Lighting" Anybody used those? I will get my voltmeter and test the handily exposed splice to see if they have 12V. if they do I will splice into them and connect the weboost 12v power supply via an on-off switch mounted somewhere TBD.

anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks and enjoy the weekend

Andrew
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Yes you can do it and I have. There are a number of loose wires back there you can use. The ground wires are usually white. The colored wires including the black wires are the 12v+.

I wired the weboost 65 amp and my peplink router to a switch and put it in the removeable panel in the back cabinet.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
On my 2021 AS International 27FB Twin, I found both the antenna prewires cable ends and a 12vdc power cable in the corner of the front upper storage bay. I gained access by removing the speaker from the underside and reaching into the space to find the cables.

The positive side of the power cable goes to the electronics compartment under the front of the curbside twin bed but was not connected to anything. I attached it to a 12vdc power source. Lots of choices in that electronics bay.

I used the power to setup a power distribution panel and then power a PepWave Max transit router. This was the power panel I installed in the end wall of the overhead storage bay. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_221027409_iOS.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	396435
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
On my 2021 AS International 27FB Twin, I found both the antenna prewires cable ends and a 12vdc power cable in the corner of the front upper storage bay. I gained access by removing the speaker from the underside and reaching into the space to find the cables.

The positive side of the power cable goes to the electronics compartment under the front of the curbside twin bed but was not connected to anything. I attached it to a 12vdc power source. Lots of choices in that electronics bay.

I used the power to setup a power distribution panel and then power a PepWave Max transit router. This was the power panel I installed in the end wall of the overhead storage bay. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 396435
I'm in the process of installing a pepwave/poynting combo myself. Can you share pics the wiring you used for the panel and how it's connected to your pepwave max?
Yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yologals View Post
I'm in the process of installing a pepwave/poynting combo myself. Can you share pics the wiring you used for the panel and how it's connected to your pepwave max?
I am in the process of changing my setup a little. Nonetheless, I bought a power distribution panel and installed it in the end wall of the overhead storage compartment. See picture.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The panel comes pre-configured with the four components as shown however you can easily swap out any of the four components. I wired this such that the on-off rocker switch turns off everything. Originally I used two USB power cables to run the Pepwave. I am going to change a few things:

1. Convert to a hardwired 12vdc connection going into the front screw terminal of the Pepwave instead of USB C ports. This will have its own on/off switch.
2. Add a separate on-off switch to control power to the TPMS signal relay. Right now it is on when ever the panel is powered but the blinking lights are annoying at night so I need to add an independent power switch.
3. Create a mount for the Pepwave. It gets hot after a while so thinking of an open ended raised metal frame that will function as a cooling heat sink.

The orange wire shown was not connected to anything originally. An Airstream tech told me it was there.

I found it by removing the speaker from underneath the storage bay, reaching and finding the cable. The white wire is connected to ground - the frame of the Airstream. The other end of the orange wire was routed to the front right corner of the Airstream under the front of the right twin bed. In this location are various electronics including the inverter. Attached are two pictures showing both ends of the orange wire.

I ran a wire to the battery compartment with an inline fuse and connected it to the end of the orange wire. This extended +12dc up into the overhead bay.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201028_221027409_iOS.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	401036   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_221043642_iOS.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	401037