Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
add XM to audio-video pkg?

When we bought our 07 AS, it came with the audio- video pkg. It did not come with satallite XM radio.

I want to add XM. Has anyone done this to the audio-video pkg? If so, does it plug in directly to the Sony main receiver, or to the black control box?

I have the black control box where I can see it, but there is no place to plug anything extra into except a headset. So, I thought maybe it is supposed to be plugged into the back of the main receiver. I can't see the back of the receiver, but will take it out if anyone knows if that is where XM plugs in.

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Pat, I don't know about that particular radio, but one option with the XM portables (if that is what you have) is to set it up to broadcast on an FM freq while plugged into your tow vehicle, then simply tune the radio in the Airstream to that freq. Mine will send a strong FM signal about 50 feet. The drain on the TV battery is minimal. Not the best solution, but it does work well.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Pat: Sherry and I use XM in both the tow vehicle as well as the airstrream, using the portable XM. We are in So. Cal, so we tune the car radio, or the Sony A/S radio to FM 83.3. I run the magnet antennae out the door, over the bottom portion of the Zip Dee Awning, and attach the magnet to the bolt on near the sway bar. I try to point the front of the antennae south, since that has worked best. One 110 plug goes into 110 power, or if you do not have 110, but you have the inverter, then plug into the 110 plug which is used by the inverter. It is by the door. Of course you have to turn on the inverter switch by the kitchen sink. It uses very little battery power. Last, plug in the small plug into the Line Out female socket which is located inside the cabinet near the radio. You should have your sound now,

Good Luck.
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Sirius antenna installation

I was researching the exact same thing but with Sirius since it came with our TV and is only $6.99 per month to add it for the 2007 Safari. I figure I can determine where to connect it to the Sony radio but running the antenna is a concern. Does anyone have an idea how to run the antenna from the Sony unit to the roof?
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Many of the new radios come with XM or Sirius capability. You add the appropriate blackbox and it reads on the radio faceplate.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Also keep in mind that the satellite radio market is struggling. From a long term basis it's questionable whether XM, Sirius, or even the merger of these two companies will have sufficient income to save them. The latest financial reports from both companies have been dismal and the retention rate shows an upturn in the subscribers bailing out.

So before you start drilling new holes for that satellite antenna, understand that things might be changing in the not too distant future.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Also keep in mind that the satellite radio market is struggling. From a long term basis it's questionable whether XM, Sirius, or even the merger of these two companies will have sufficient income to save them. The latest financial reports from both companies have been dismal and the retention rate shows an upturn in the subscribers bailing out.

So before you start drilling new holes for that satellite antenna, understand that things might be changing in the not too distant future.

Jack
That is disappointing, because we have a lifetime Sirius subscription for the truck. I guess it was Sirius' lifetime not ours
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We did it

Pat,
I just plugged the XM module into the back of the Sony. It works great and was easy to do. You will have to make sure your Sony is XM ready and then match up the XM modulefor that model Sony.
-Ken
Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I seriously doubt Sirius and XM will both go away. Even if the companies go bankrupt, I'm sure someone will pull an Iridium and be back on the air without the debt that XM/Sirius have. (Iridium is a satellite phone network that was started in the early '90s and went bankrupt for a variety of reasons, but of course the satellites were still up there and functioning. So someone else bought out the satellites and was able to start up a successful service using the constellation without the debt of having to launch them.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The CD changer in a normal car stereo attaches to the back of the head unit, usually with a highly proprietary interface. One company I know of, PIE, makes a device that you plug between the two. That device includes a set of RCA jacks that you can connect to anything. The way it works is that the PIE device detects a signal on the auxiliary input, and switches the interface to take the signal from that side, rather than the CD changer. As soon as the signal drops on the auxiliary side, it switches the feed back to the CD changer. I put a PIE device in my 2001 Silverado so that I could plug an MP3 player or my XM in, while still maintaining all the factory radio functions, like speed sensitive volume. Very cool.

Our 2005 CCD has the factory audio/DVD upgrade package. In 2005, the Airstream factory adopted a similar type of interface (at least on our trailer) so that the stereo could handle the CD changer, TV audio, etc. I just pulled out the stereo head, plugged a stwitchbox and cables to one side of the interface, and now I have the original wiring, plus a box that selects the XM or MP3 when I want them. Very slick, very cheap.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Jack
Perish the thought . I love XM, I hope they havent killed it signing up "names" like Opra and whoever that other loudmouth is...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
I added a XM SkyFi2 to our trailer setup. My wife loves XM and she uses it all the time while we're in the trailer.

Here's the thread of how I ran all the wires & pluged into the stock JVC Head-unit. Adventures in Audio/Video
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I removed the Sony unit from the cabinet, but did not see any place to plug in the XM. What a mess of wires!

So, I just ordered a Belkin Boombox for a RoadyXT. That will replace the older "bow tie" boombox I have had for several years, but no longer works.

I will mostly use the Belkin with a headset or pillow speaker, so really don't need to hook it up to the Sony. Just thought it would be nice, and get rid of some clutter.

Thanks to everone who contributed to this thread and the link to the other thread. It did answer all my questions, and hopefully will help someone else.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote