Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2024, 08:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Bradenton , FL
2023 Pottery Barn Pepkink MAX Transit Pro

Hi Everyone,
We are picking up our new 2023 Pottery Barn in a few weeks. We are crazy and installing the Pro Pride 3P hitch in the dealer parking lot and then spending that night at a camp ground! My question is about the Peplink router. If I call Verizon and get a data only plan and have them send me a SIM card is that all I need to get the Peplink system going? I'm an IT professional and can handle the configuration etc. but I can't find a user manual on this specific model Peplink MAX transit Pro. My next question is can anyone recommend antennas for our Verizon mifi 8800L inseego hot spot? I will need to use it from the car while traveling and it has the unicorn unlimited plan that is no longer offered. My husband uses the hot spot for his business so I don't want to move it to the Airstream right now or risk losing that plan.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I'm not going to lie I'm both excited and scared of everything we are about to take on....

Thanks,
Emily
emsgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsgr8 View Post
Hi Everyone,
We are picking up our new 2023 Pottery Barn in a few weeks. We are crazy and installing the Pro Pride 3P hitch in the dealer parking lot and then spending that night at a camp ground! My question is about the Peplink router. If I call Verizon and get a data only plan and have them send me a SIM card is that all I need to get the Peplink system going? I'm an IT professional and can handle the configuration etc. but I can't find a user manual on this specific model Peplink MAX transit Pro. My next question is can anyone recommend antennas for our Verizon mifi 8800L inseego hot spot? I will need to use it from the car while traveling and it has the unicorn unlimited plan that is no longer offered. My husband uses the hot spot for his business so I don't want to move it to the Airstream right now or risk losing that plan.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I'm not going to lie I'm both excited and scared of everything we are about to take on....

Thanks,
Emily
Did you consider the BR1 Pro for its 5G capacity? If you move forward with the MAX, consider adding the T-Mobile $10 SIM card giving you 30GB a month. It could occupy your second slot. Yes, simply install the SIM card to light up your connection, however, I have seen some complain that Verizon had to enable the SIM though they stated otherwise when purchasing it.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Bradenton , FL
The Pottery Barn comes with the Peplink Max Transit Pro and an antenna already wired. I'm picking it up out of state and then traveling a few hours to see family. We will be in populated areas traveling for two weeks on our way home.

Can I make this Max Transit Pro work for this trip?
What external antenna can I get for my Verizon Inseego MIFI 8800L Mobile WiFi Hotspot as a temporary solution to work inside the Airstream?
emsgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
I always do parallel path solutions for major IT thereby keeping two operating options. Old and new.

Therefore, it would be best to get a 5G SIM card for the new Pep, as advised above. Airstream can give you the login/admin credentials to see the admin page. However it should connect straight up, if you don't need an APN field named, and boom you're on the cell network. The admin console will allow you to setup your own SSID etc.

The Verizon SIM should work in the Pep but you'll be limited to 4G speeds. You could possibly scoop two of the Aistream antenna connections for 2x2 on the Verizon hotspot, if there are adapters but that's mucking around. A couple of good portable antennas and putting the hotspot outside might be good enough, if there are issues with the Pep.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
+1 to T mobile 30gb data plan

If you dig through Peplink site you should have success on manual. We found out there for 5g Max Transit Pro. Set up our 2 SSID and two SIM cards

If the Peplink is locked to AS then maybe the 15 second hard reset will work you and the admin account is opened

There are two recent threads discussing your questions on this site. If the midi has external antenna attachment points, you should be able to use your installed roof antenna.
Good luck / Enjoy.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
some misleading comments, let me clarify as I have installed peplink routers:

The Max Pro Transit is NOT 5G compatible. The Transit Pro has 2 LTE-A cellular modems onboard. Their description is nebulous as they elude to 5G via other devices using WIFI6. They do have CAT7 and Band 71 capacity for use on T-Mobile, but do not have CAT12, nor CAT20 bands.

Additionally, SIM cards generally do not restrict access to 5G so buying just a '5G LTE sim card' isn't common. In fact, carriers and the use of their bandwidth in much more efficient on true 5G connections than 4G. They'd like you live there.

Airstream is dropping the ball providing a modem/router void of true 5G. I've install Peplink BR1 Pro MAX. Though it has just 1 Celluar modem active, you can put 2 sim cards and on board and switch between them.

In the real world, T-mobiles 'at Home' white routers with external antenna jacks using the installed MIMO antenna is a better all solution for most RVers. Plus T Mobile's auction purchase of the 600MHZ band vastly outperforms the other high frequency UHF cellular bands of Verzon and ATT.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Peplink Max Transit Pro 5g model

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
some misleading comments, let me clarify as I have installed peplink routers:

The Max Pro Transit is NOT 5G compatible. The Transit Pro has 2 LTE-A cellular modems onboard. Their description is nebulous as they elude to 5G via other devices using WIFI6. They do have CAT7 and Band 71 capacity for use on T-Mobile, but do not have CAT12, nor CAT20 bands.

Additionally, SIM cards generally do not restrict access to 5G so buying just a '5G LTE sim card' isn't common. In fact, carriers and the use of their bandwidth in much more efficient on true 5G connections than 4G. They'd like you live there.

Airstream is dropping the ball providing a modem/router void of true 5G. I've install Peplink BR1 Pro MAX. Though it has just 1 Celluar modem active, you can put 2 sim cards and on board and switch between them.

In the real world, T-mobiles 'at Home' white routers with external antenna jacks using the installed MIMO antenna is a better all solution for most RVers. Plus T Mobile's auction purchase of the 600MHZ band vastly outperforms the other high frequency UHF cellular bands of Verzon and ATT.
https://mobilemusthave.com/products/pepwave-max-transit-pro-dual-modem-cat-12-cat-7-lte-a-router

https://www.t-mobile.com/content/dam/tfb/pdf/tfb-iot/transit_pro_datasheet_1.pdf

Two data sheets, discussing max transit pro as cat 12. There are non Cat 12 options also available

There is generally “ cat5 only” SIM card, it’s a SIM card that does have 5g access. Its only an access point
3OnOurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
Thanks for clarifying, TBH I took a quick look & thought the $$$ Transit pro Duo would be able to connect on say the 5G extended range. Peplink designates with (as an example)

MAX BR1 Mini 5G

My Peplink has a load shedding circuit on and I think Airstream looked at power consumption, in addition to robustness. Also in remote areas is supposedly less range avail on 5G although there is the 600Mhz extended range. May not be worth it over 4GLTE

But there are no options considered as this thread is about the Verizon box vs the Pep Pottery barn. And T-mobile sim is a good way to go.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:12 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
Currently Looking...
Naples , Florida
You're right they don't have clear info on it. I have a 2024 Pottery Barn and I called the Airstream people to get info on the Pepwave. I tried to upgrade it but the antenna is not compatible with an upgrade. I use Mobile Must Have for my Pepwave stuff including data cards.
Airstream is very lax in their education on how to use their trailer. I am amazed at how much the AS customer service doesn't know, as well as tech?
Rbjewell is offline   Reply With Quote