Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
2022 Model AS Connect Prewire

Hey all. Anyone knows if the prewire for AS Connect in 2022 models is still 5 in 1 or have they upgraded it to 7 in 1? Will build my own AS Connect and wondering if I can buy a 5G antenna with 4x4. Thanks for any insights.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Dallas , Texas
+1

Currently planning to buy a bundle from MobileMustHave and I’m wondering which antenna to buy.
Loupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Just thought of checking the AS website. It suggests their Connect solution still as the 5 in 1 antenna. Maybe it hasn’t been updated or maybe they are still selling the old antenna but prewiring 7 in 1 for future upgrades though that would feel out of character. At any rate, hopefully somebody with a 2022 can tell us.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
FYI. I found that it is possible to buy Pepwave Mobility 22G antennas (the 5 in 1 model with 5G) with 1 foot cable length on Amazon. Ordered one today. Will be a while as I'll wait for warmer weather to install but I'll report on it after the fact.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
My 2022 GT 27FB has the 5 in 1. I gave up the two wifi cables and used the Poynting 7 in 1 antenna. My Pepwave MAX Transit Duo had the dual SIM card slots and cellular was more important than trying to amplify campground wifi. I just attached the wifi antennas that came with the router to their appropriate connections. I bought my gear from MobileMustHave.com and bought their Ultimate Road Warrior bundle.

Works great in my driveway. Not travelling to a data desert until mid-February so it will be interesting to see how it all works with very little signal.
wineteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Regarding the "Airstream Connected" option, what does the "Prewire" consist of?

Since the antenna and modem are part of the package ( https://www.airstream.com/connected/ ), I assume "pre-wire" means there is cabling in place already when the unit leaves Jackson Center. If so, what does that consist of, and where does it terminate on either end?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Regarding the "Airstream Connected" option, what does the "Prewire" consist of?

Since the antenna and modem are part of the package ( https://www.airstream.com/connected/ ), I assume "pre-wire" means there is cabling in place already when the unit leaves Jackson Center. If so, what does that consist of, and where does it terminate on either end?
There’s a caulked plastic cap on the front end of the roof. Prewire starts there and ends up in the overhead cabinet in the bedroom, at least in FB GT models.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newbury , New Hampshire
Anyone know the member who showed a Parsec Husky 7-in-1 antenna (10" diameter) mounted on a custom fabricated aluminum stand? The legs were offset to accommodate the curvature of the AS roof. Many thanks.
Tunaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
OP here. Took delivery of my GT 25FB last week. I was able to determine that the wiring is still 5 in 1 and shows up in the left overhead locker in the bedroom. Power is also there and terminates near the 12V box under the bed. See photos.

I wasn't able to check where the antenna wires terminate on the roof. Winter here and there's some thawed and then frozen snow on the roof. However, I think I can see the cap pictured in some of the other threads in the back above the dinette. Could be something else though as I believed it was to be up front.

Next step is installing my Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G router. I will power it using the above-mentioned wires to which I will add a fuse and a switch so I can choose to keep it on or not.

Antenna installation (Pepwave 22G) will have to wait until climbing on the roof isn't a health hazard and the weather's warm enough for 3M and Dicor.

I plan on documenting the work here on this thread.

P.S.: In the photos, the power wires are orange and white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	411719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	411721  

Old 02-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
wifi

I am picking up my new 2022 27'FB GT in April and wanted to install a wifi package. The dealer wants to sell me the Winegard but I got to think there is a better option. I am confused by the 5-1 & 7-1 wire conversation and need some guidance on how to proceed. Thanks
todd s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s View Post
I am picking up my new 2022 27'FB GT in April and wanted to install a wifi package. The dealer wants to sell me the Winegard but I got to think there is a better option. I am confused by the 5-1 & 7-1 wire conversation and need some guidance on how to proceed. Thanks
The wire conversation was simply to understand if AS has upgraded the pre-wire, i.e. the antenna wires the start under a removable cap on the roof and terminate in an overhead locker inside. Up until now, we had seen 5-in-1 and were wondering if they went to 7-in-1. Looks like Airstream is still cabling 5-in-1.

7-in-1 gives you 4 cellular antenna cables, 2 wifi antenna cables and 2 GPS. 5-in-1 gives you 2 cellular antenna cables. WiFi and GPS are the same. Some folks choose to use the pre-wires as it's easier, others fish in new cables to take advantage of better reception with the additional antennas 7-in-1 gives you.

Can't really comment on Winegard as I've never used them. I did have WiFi Ranger on my previous AS, which Winegard purchased. It worked ok but I have my reservations with the fact the electronics are in the antenna. Over time, with weather beating down on it, I suspect it could falter faster. I believe Winegard's electronics are also in the antenna. am going with antennas only on the roof and a router with all the electronics inside.

You may want to check out Mobile Internet Resource Center videos on YouTube. They have great videos explaining the various options and the tradeoffs.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
Our 2022 GT 27FBQ came with the 5 in 1 cable. I purchased the Ultimate Road Warrior bundle from MobileMustHave. I selected the Poynting 7-in-1 antenna since it could have the cable exit the rear of the housing. I did as some of the other threads suggested and dedicated 4 of the cables for my dual SIM Pepwave router for cellular service. I put the WiFi blade antennas on the router to boost WiFi if available.
Since the recommendation from MobileMustHave was to have any antenna at least 12 - 16 inches away from any motors and I have a solar panel almost over cable cap, I put the Poynting on the shell away from as much interference as possible. This means I have exposed wires with cable tie-downs routing the cables to the gland nut which I installed over the cable exit hole.
I left the mesh cable protective cover over the antenna cables as that mesh is an automotive grade cover and UV resistant. The 3M adhesive on the Poynting antenna and on the cable tie-downs should be strong enough to hold and I did caulk around the antenna and cable tie-downs as additional protection.
Time will tell how all this holds up under storage and travel. From my rudimentary tug tests all are firmly affixed to the shell.
The Pepwave router is working well with both Verizon and ATT SIM cards installed. We are heading out to a data desert in a couple weekends. We have camped there before and will measure how our setup does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220106_152238992_iOS.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	411746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	411747  

Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
Anyone know the member who showed a Parsec Husky 7-in-1 antenna (10" diameter) mounted on a custom fabricated aluminum stand? The legs were offset to accommodate the curvature of the AS roof. Many thanks.

That was ETroup. Look him up. He’s made a number of comments in similar threads.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:31 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing how your setup works as I take delivery of a 2022 GT in April and want to install a similar setup. Thanks
todd s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Ok folks. Part 1 of install complete. Pepwave router is mounted and powered. Also added a switch (same model as in the rest of my AS, JR brand) so I can choose to have it on or not. Here's what I did and the photos that go along with it:

-Removed the access panel from the left bedroom overhead locker. Cut out the opening for the switch, installed the switch and screwed in the router.

-Built myself a power wire for the router (Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G). This model uses a Micro-Molex connector. I crimped that to a 3 AMP blade fuse / holder and then hooked it up to the switch. The 12v orange power cable supplied by AS for that purpose is connected to the other terminal of the switch. The white wire was crimped to the negative wire of the Micro-Molex connector. Note the orange and white wires AS puts there already have crimp connectors on. Convenient.

-The white wire is already connected to negative somewhere along the way as it doesn't terminate around the 12v panel. The orange wire does end up there though. I cut the crimp connector provided by AS and replaced it with a ring connector. Hooked it up to a positive terminal on the 12v bus. On my 2022 25FBQ GT, the 12v panel is in a box under the bed, street side towards the front. There's an access panel screwed in.

-Screwed the overhead locker access panel back in place and installed the antennas provided with the router. All works fine.

Next step is installing the Pepwave Mobility 22H antenna. As stated above, I will wait for the weather to warm up so that the 3M tape and Dicor adhere to the roof. I was also able to confirm that the antenna wire cap is there above the bedroom (circled in red in the photo). Of course, I also located the cables inside. There's already a cable pass through with cap to bring them in the overhead locker along with power wires. Once installed, I'll remove the appropriate antennas indoor.

Any questions, let me know. More to come in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cut out for switch.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	411921   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch installed.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	411922  

Name:	router screwed in.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	411923   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch wiring.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	411924  

Name:	power to router.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	411925   Click image for larger version

Name:	12v + connection.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	411926  

Name:	12v panel under bed.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	411927   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna roof.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	411928  

Old 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Forgot a photo of the final product!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB27BF60-E7ED-4C9E-A416-18C20D417D94.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	411940  
Old 02-27-2022, 10:41 PM   #17
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
Thanks - very helpful.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP53 View Post
Thanks - very helpful.
No problem. Any questions, lmk.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Ok folks. Part 1 of install complete. Pepwave router is mounted and powered. Also added a switch (same model as in the rest of my AS, JR brand) so I can choose to have it on or not. Here's what I did and the photos that go along with it:

-Removed the access panel from the left bedroom overhead locker. Cut out the opening for the switch, installed the switch and screwed in the router.

-Built myself a power wire for the router (Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G). This model uses a Micro-Molex connector. I crimped that to a 3 AMP blade fuse / holder and then hooked it up to the switch. The 12v orange power cable supplied by AS for that purpose is connected to the other terminal of the switch. The white wire was crimped to the negative wire of the Micro-Molex connector. Note the orange and white wires AS puts there already have crimp connectors on. Convenient.

-The white wire is already connected to negative somewhere along the way as it doesn't terminate around the 12v panel. The orange wire does end up there though. I cut the crimp connector provided by AS and replaced it with a ring connector. Hooked it up to a positive terminal on the 12v bus. On my 2022 25FBQ GT, the 12v panel is in a box under the bed, street side towards the front. There's an access panel screwed in.

-Screwed the overhead locker access panel back in place and installed the antennas provided with the router. All works fine.

Next step is installing the Pepwave Mobility 22H antenna. As stated above, I will wait for the weather to warm up so that the 3M tape and Dicor adhere to the roof. I was also able to confirm that the antenna wire cap is there above the bedroom (circled in red in the photo). Of course, I also located the cables inside. There's already a cable pass through with cap to bring them in the overhead locker along with power wires. Once installed, I'll remove the appropriate antennas indoor.

Any questions, let me know. More to come in a few weeks.
Hi there! We have a 2022 30' Flying Cloud Bunk. We have hit a snag (literally) pulling the 7-in-1 wires from the roof. We attached our new 7-in-1 to the 5-in-1 wires, assuming we would easily be able to pull them through from the roof into the mini "closet" to the left of the overhead locker in the front, then through a grommet that leads into the left overhead locker. However, we got to a point where the wires will not pull any further. I reached my hand up through the ceiling speaker opening and could feel the mesh sheath containing the wires there, but it appears the mesh sheath goes through a collar in one of the roof "ribs" and it's quite snug. I believe this is the point where our new cables are stuck and we can't advance. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
alexair22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair22 View Post
Hi there! We have a 2022 30' Flying Cloud Bunk. We have hit a snag (literally) pulling the 7-in-1 wires from the roof. We attached our new 7-in-1 to the 5-in-1 wires, assuming we would easily be able to pull them through from the roof into the mini "closet" to the left of the overhead locker in the front, then through a grommet that leads into the left overhead locker. However, we got to a point where the wires will not pull any further. I reached my hand up through the ceiling speaker opening and could feel the mesh sheath containing the wires there, but it appears the mesh sheath goes through a collar in one of the roof "ribs" and it's quite snug. I believe this is the point where our new cables are stuck and we can't advance. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

For ours - after hours of effort, I gave up on trying to use the existing bundle to pull our 7 wires through. I took out the existing bundle and fed the wires one by one with a lot of cable lube. This was complicated by the wire sheath not terminating in the correct compartment.

I was never able to get the two WiFi wires in, even with the connectors cut off
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote